• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard When a Darkness player gets bored in Standard...

TCG_Destory

Darkness player
I had been testing multiple decks that comprised Yveltal-EX in the past few months, both online and in tournaments. Earlier this week I thought: what would happen if I put nothing but Yveltal in a deck? I then challenged myself to build a such list, tested it a little bit and came to a rather crazy result. I have no Tapu Lele-GX which is one thing that led me into finding a such idea. So far the deck has been able to put on good pressure early reliably and the two attacking cards combine well together, with the problem being the bad matchups, although there are a number of decent and good matchups for this deck too.

Here is the decklist I currently have:

Pokémon - 7

3 Yveltal XY
4 Yveltal-EX XY

Trainer - 37

4 Altar of the Moone
4 Guzma
4 N
4 Professor Sycamore
4 Choice Band
3 Fighting Fury Belt
4 Max Elixir
2 Nest Ball
4 Random Receiver
4 Ultra Ball

Energy - 16

4 Double Colorless Energy
12 Darkness Energy

Just so I don't get asked tons of questions, let me explain some inclusion and count decisions:

12 Darkness Energy
The decklist had tons of space to work with so I decided to pretty much max out the Energy count to make Max Elixir and Oblivion Wing more reliable. The huge Energy count has not yet been found to really slow down the deck. Energy being discarded also is part of the strategy and Energy couldn't really be swapped out for more consistency in this format.

4 Random Receiver
Helps compensate for not having Tapu Lele-GX. It is a Supporter gamble but is certain to land one, granted there is at least one in the deck. It also should be a draw Supporter two thirds of the time.

4 Ultra Ball vs 2 Nest Ball
They almost do the same thing in this deck, seemingly. However, Ultra Ball's discard requirement helps with getting Darkness Energy into the discard pile. I essentially have eight ways to do so this way.

With that said, let me know what you think about this deck and about my list. Any suggestions would be appreciated and for anyone wondering, this the first time in a while I put so many Energy in a deck. Space was the main reason for it.

The only thing I really see is a lack of support Pokémon. I know you're not using Tapu Lele, but I would use something like Oranguru to help with draw support at least. I would also cut the FFBs for some more draw Supporters since Choice Band is the better Tool in this deck. Either Shauna or Lillie would be my recommendation. That way you have an even better chance to hit draw support on your Random Receivers.

-3 FFB
+1 Oranguru
+2 Shauna/Lillie

The only thing I really see is a lack of support Pokémon. I know you're not using Tapu Lele, but I would use something like Oranguru to help with draw support at least. I would also cut the FFBs for some more draw Supporters since Choice Band is the better Tool in this deck. Either Shauna or Lillie would be my recommendation. That way you have an even better chance to hit draw support on your Random Receivers.

-3 FFB
+1 Oranguru
+2 Shauna/Lillie
I would appreciate having extra draw Supporters in the deck but we have yet to have ones that are good enough for me to include, other than Professor Sycamore and N.
An Oranguru could be a good support for the deck but I tend to have hands of 3+ cards practically 100% of the time. It only would help later on with N plays to one or two cards. I have been considering a Burning Shadows Darkrai though. I have yet to test it but it could be really useful against decks that are unwise with their GX attacks or that really rely on it. I could drop it down, attach a Double Colorless Energy to it, use a Max Elixir and if it lands, I could be doing 160+ damage out of nowhere. On EX's and GX's, that would be 190 with a Choice Band. As for Fighting Fury Belt, it is basically vital to this deck because many decks have no problem hitting for 170 damage. Once you increase that to 210, you eliminate that possibility for a good part of them. Besides, a 170 HP Oblivion Wing Yveltal is annoying to deal with for nearly any opponent. I do take the "more supporters" tip into consideration though, we only need something like Colress in order for me to add more draw support to my decks.

Back