Blog What's Yet to Come — A Look at Four Viable Decks After Rotation

I think Faded Town would have been good to mention as well. I feel it might see a lot of play with big mega decks such as M Gardevoir-EX and M Mewtwo rising towards the meta as you're suggesting.

I'm looking forward to the new format, that's for sure. I just wish a majority of the tournaments in my area weren't going to be Expanded, like our PTO stated at the last pre-release... BOO!!!

I'm looking forward to the new format, that's for sure. I just wish a majority of the tournaments in my area weren't going to be Expanded, like our PTO stated at the last pre-release... BOO!!!
To be quite honest I wish majority of the tournaments in my area were expanded. I love Virbank, Dark Patch, and Lasers. Let's swap houses ;D.

Great article!
Your right, I definitely didn't see M-Scizor coming. The list you provided looks super viable though.

Nice article!

I like the fact that there is no standout deck right now. They all keep each other in check thanks to Weakness.

Mega Scizor is very good next format. It barely misses having Bronzong and you can still have Max Potion shenanigans by utilizing Mega Turbo.

Volcanion will keep it in check if it gets popular.

Nice article!

I like the fact that there is no standout deck right now. They all keep each other in check thanks to Weakness.

Mega Scizor is very good next format. It barely misses having Bronzong and you can still have Max Potion shenanigans by utilizing Mega Turbo.

Volcanion will keep it in check if it gets popular.
That's pretty true! Max Potion is an amazing card, and can definitely pair well with puzzle of time if you need it later over the hammers! I can finally put those rev holo Max Potions to use.

Ok. So you can do these things:
  • Use the basic ex of rayquaza (colorless) to 2-shot giratina
  • Use ranger to set up and use hex the next turn
  • Run Garbodor
  • Run another attacking Pokemon as a partner. Like raichu or zoroark or something.
The main issue that mega Ray has with giratina is being unable to play DCE and Skyfield. Renegade Pulse is just a minor obstacle, really conpares to Chaos Wheel.

One idea for Mega Rayquaza to deal with Giratina is to run a Fairy Energy based build, and Tech in a Diancie-EX. The best part about doing that is that Diancie can also tank a few hits from the Dark types that are usually paired with Giratina as well.

Great Article!

I run Valcanion EX now in new standard, against current standard. I've played against most of the competitive decks. I do really well. I've played under item lock and ability lock. Maybe I'm just lucky with it. I have a current 8-0 winning streak with the deck. I know this sounds weird, but you do not need black smith. It slows the deck down.

There is some out of the box strategy with the deck that will catch on after rotation. Right now, people are thinking blacksmith, after rotation, when trainers play with the deck a bit more, they will realize the card slowed it down. Blacksmith is just overbearing on the deck. It requires the deck to produce to many resources all at once.

The deck is a Paradox. You play the deck against the grain to make it work.

I'm going to play it at the side events at worlds. I wouldn't right it off as Tier two. With the right deck list, it will enter the competitive super zone at tier one.

Garbador really isn't a threat to the deck. If anything Garbador hurts the opponent. It slows them down. Like Yveltal, Baby Valcanion speeds everything up creating multiple attackers to fast for a garbador lock deck.

Last edited:
I feel like Pokemon Ranger and Hex Maniac are needed in these decks or they'll just automatically lose to Giratina if it gets off the first attack. Especially if you can't get the special energies for M-ray/M-Mewtwo need, or you can't get that float stone to turn on Grabodor's ability in M-Scizor or M-Mewtwo.

Great Article!

I run Valcanion EX now in new standard, against current standard. I've played against most of the competitive decks. I do really well. I've played under item lock and ability lock. Maybe I'm just lucky with it. I have a current 8-0 winning streak with the deck. I know this sounds weird, but you do not need black smith. It slows the deck down.

There is some out of the box strategy with the deck that will catch on after rotation. Right now, people are thinking blacksmith, after rotation, when trainers play with the deck a bit more, they will realize the card slowed it down. Blacksmith is just overbearing on the deck. It requires the deck to produce to many resources all at once.

I'm going to play it at the side events at worlds. I wouldn't right it off as Tier two. With the right deck list, it will enter the competitive super zone at tier one.

Garbador really isn't a threat to the deck. If anything Garbador hurts the opponent. It slows them down. Like Yveltal, Baby Valcanion speeds everything up creating multiple attackers to fast for a garbador lock deck.
I'd like to face your build in ptcgo if you don't mind later on. Pm me if you want my name, or if you don't like to test there, that's fine.

I feel like Pokemon Ranger and Hex Maniac are needed in these decks or they'll just automatically lose to Giratina if it gets off the first attack. Especially if you can't get the special energies for M-ray/M-Mewtwo need, or you can't get that float stone to turn on Grabodor's ability in M-Scizor or M-Mewtwo.

So, I play a lot of M Scizor, and I am inclined to agree, albeit partially. Scizor EX can be a pretty solid attacker to deal with Giratina. That said I still think that a one or two of Hex Maniac is a strong play as it allows you to slow set up on turn one and on turns before a Garbodor or after a KO.

Giratina pretty much falls over to M Scizor the second you can turn off Renegade Pulse though.

Never even thought of Scizor at all.I can definitely see it being a contender though!

One deck I haven't seen mentioned on here is Greninja. How do you guys think it'll do vs the upcoming format? It still has a good amount of cards to keep it strong and can be tough to OHKO. Biggest problem I see for it is Garbodor. Once that's setup it'll be hard to really do much.

I'd like to face your build in ptcgo if you don't mind later on. Pm me if you want my name, or if you don't like to test there, that's fine.

Oh ya. That sounds fun. I always like working out the kinks. My username is below, just friend me. I'm packing for worlds right now. I don't know when and how much time I got to play though.

If you see me on, hit me up. We can test together.

Great Article!

Dude, I completely agree. I run a fire deck and Blacksmith was a really good card, but fire decks were too dependent of it. Now, that it's gone I can use other Trainers cards instead (I'll use Delinquent).

Also, Volcanion ex with Baby Volcanion can be very effective with Flareon Ex, and dont forget that Tools now are even harder to discard so Entei is another good possibility to use (Fighting fury belt + hard charm or assault vest or healing scarf).

Never even thought of Scizor at all.I can definitely see it being a contender though!

One deck I haven't seen mentioned on here is Greninja. How do you guys think it'll do vs the upcoming format? It still has a good amount of cards to keep it strong and can be tough to OHKO. Biggest problem I see for it is Garbodor. Once that's setup it'll be hard to really do much.
I think thats why people are counting it out, garbodor really does take away a lot of its potency by shutting off its Ability. And with the loss of tool removal cards its going to be a little tougher to get rid of Ability lock.

Back