What Would you Ban in the Format to Make it Better?

Dariannigro

Aspiring Trainer
Ok so I want to know what SINGLE CARD(s) you would ban in XY-BRP Standard format to help fix it. Also please dont say night march mostly because its too cliche...I want to see something interesting to chew on and think about and discuss. Just explain why you think it needs to be banned also of course

Either Battle Compressor or VS Seeker, possibly both. The two of them together set up too much combinatory potential.

However, I can see why the powers that be at Pokemon are slow to bring down the ban hammer: it's not too often that a card comes around that seriously unbalances things. Lysandre's Trump Card was banned, for instance, because it seriously slowed down games.

It's really hard to say since many cards are ban worthy. I feel drawing is the best thing you can do and many draw cards are too good. I would hit things like Shaymin EX but I would say that because of how offensive the game is and massive draw power aids that.

However, I feel the real card worth banning here is battle compressor because of the combos it can make. Night March/like decks aside, we still have Blastoise and Magnezone and attackers like Keldeo EX, Pikachu EX, Raikou or other cards that can cause 'unwinnable' games for the opponent (i.e. nothing I do will prevent my opponent taking prize card(s) next turn)

Banning Battle Compressor would reduce how aggressive decks can be and this, in terms makes the game better because players are willing to look at other cards versus what have a huge payoff. I would also say ban all cards that allow the player to dump as much energy as they like per turn.

Ok so here is where i stand on battle compressor. I feel that it is a really good card as it causes players to be more strategic besides with night march so maybe we release an erratta? Add a coin flip like catcher or maybe only look at top (insert number here) cards of deck and discard up to three. You could cut it from three to 2 or maybe 1 idk but i think it isnt banworthy but should be nerfed at least

Vs Seeker Now i love Vs seeker as the next guy but it is just too Overpowered for our Format. Just Like @Dariannigro Was Saying Erratta as like into a coin Flip or Make it into a full out supporter

I really want shaymin dead. Sure it makes decks quicker and more consistent. It just makes turns take like 5 mins or more sometimes. Having to sit there and watch night March or bees play for 5 mins is just gross.

DCE. The dreaded DCE, the source of all the meta's problems. You're complaining about seismitoad, about Night March, about Vespiquen? You know why thye're good and not tier 3 at best? Beacause their attacks can be easily paid for with a single DCE. If they couldn't - problem solved. All of the stuff people're complaining about - gone. Poof! Like that!

I wouldn't know exactly what to ban that would clean up the format... But I have quite the list of cards that I would, say, "indict" for making the game not so fun:

-Night Marchers: I'll hold off the details on these cards.

-Trevenant XY: If anything I hate, it is a card that can too easily lock items turn one. It makes players feel like they don't even get a chance of play the game at all at the start. Banning this card would stop the 'turn one' abuse I feel is poisoning the metagame.

-Shaymin-EX: This card, I feel, violates a fundamental part of the game that was added since Generation 3, which is that powerful draw support is mainly the role of supporter cards. When people play this card, it is less played as a Pokemon as it is a draw supporter with the effect of a card called Bianca. In this regard, playing 2 of them, alongside another supporter, is like playing 3 Supporter cards on the same turn, bypassing the '1 supporter per turn only' rule. I attribute this card to the majority of broken strategies in the game so far.

-Battle Compressor: This card is a target of abusing the powers of the discard pile. Part of this is that many cards right now make it so easy to retrieve resources from the discard that the compressor ends up creating a kind of 'Computer Search' effect to the game. Searching your deck for 3 cards and discard them ends up more like being "search your deck for up to 3 cards and play them however you wish with your other cards in your hand." In that regard, there are unbelievable types of combos that can be done here, as VS Seeker, Puzzle of Time, and Maxie/Archie allow you to fish out any resources you need. I think the deck search becomes too strong because of this.

-Frogadier: This might be an unpopular viewpoint, but I think this card breaks the rules of evolution too much. I mean, an attack that takes all additional Frogadier from your deck out onto your bench is literally just like putting the effort of adding 3 Froakie out, and using Wally 3 times to immediately evolve them, and waiting until the end of your opponent's turn to evolve them in to incredibly powerful and economical stage 2's and 3's. I think this overdoes Stage 2 acceleration compared to other stage two Pokemon I like.

-Focus Sash: This card has an effect I like, kind of, but do not like how exclusively executed it is toward fighting types - a type with so much offensive support going to it right now. Why give this guarding tool only to this type? There are lots of other pokemon that can have potential if this item was accessible too all types - even if it was errataed to have a coin flip in order to activate its effect.

---
I have other cards in mind that I think are banworthy, like Seismitoad-EX, Forest of Giant Plants, DCE, etc., but these ones listed I'll throw out here for now.

I'd probably say Battle Compressor at this point. Despite it being helpful for a variety of non-toxic decks, it still causes a bulk of the slower decks that can't really use the card efficiently to fall behind. Without it, I feel like a lot more archetypes could see play since they can now compete with the Battle Compressor users, however that may push Yveltal-EX to the top and be a bit counter-productive.

I absolutely hate Seismitoad-EX. I mean, this is The People who made it (I forgot their name -_-). "LOL lets make an unbalanced EX!"

XY3_EN_106.png

DIE IN A FIRE! Err, forest fire?

As a quick comment in the Toad; I actually don't think it was intended to be that powerful at all. It probably was intended to be a standard card. However, who would've known that Item Lock for DCE + Lasers (w/sleep flips) could be so devastating?

Anyways, another card that I think shouldn't have been printed (banning would be a bit extreme), would be Life Dew. Something that denies prizes (that is, the main wincon of the game) is probably not the best design, especially considering there are cards that can recycle it. (Especially in recent times.)

Ok so I want to know what SINGLE CARD(s) you would ban in XY-BRP Standard format to help fix it. Also please dont say night march mostly because its too cliche...I want to see something interesting to chew on and think about and discuss. Just explain why you think it needs to be banned also of course

To be brutally honest, nothing in this format is so broken that it deserves a ban. the only reason people are complaining about these cards is because they don't know how to play against them, or are just on tilt. The reason trump was banned was because it created a deck with almost no bad matchups, Night March is beatable. So, therefore, there is no issue. The reason its doing so well is because of the amount that its being played, and the low skill floor for the deck. That is my 2 cents on the subject.

To be brutally honest, nothing in this format is so broken that it deserves a ban. the only reason people are complaining about these cards is because they don't know how to play against them, or are just on tilt. The reason trump was banned was because it created a deck with almost no bad matchups, Night March is beatable. So, therefore, there is no issue. The reason its doing so well is because of the amount that its being played, and the low skill floor for the deck. That is my 2 cents on the subject.

I'd say that Night March, while beatable, is quite difficult to beat and suppresses many other archetypes (Toad w/Trump was also beatable anyways) with counters that are often reliant on the coin flip (i.e. Vileplume, Trev) or noone plays (cue Pyroar), which sorta does make it an unhealthy deck when used too much. But, yes, I agree that there is nothing broken in the respect you are mentioning. :p

It's true, but it's pretty much like Siemitoad EX was except you're not agonizing over 30 minute games and just sitting there as your opponent whittles away your HP. Night March is only difficult due to the current meta of cards, when you go in to expanded, it's an amazing deck still yes, but Flareon/Vespiquen, Vir/Gen, Plasma, and many other decks easily keep up with this deck as you have more options to get around them. In the standard format is much more difficult because there aren't many cards that can deal with it, hindering creativity.

I'm surprised there was no comment on Stardust Jirachi Promo. It is possibly the best card in standard right now. Even if the Special Energy is not that powerful (ex. splash, mystery, any other used, but not so powerful special energy.) This is probably the most annoying card for me right now. But, I feel it evens the game a lot. Over-Powered, Special Energy reliant decks, don't seem that powerful anymore. That is the only reason I won't crush that thing with a Ban-Hammer right now.

It's funny. Everyone is trigger happy with the "ban" weapon.

I mean seriously. If the good, BAN IT!
If it is part of a deck that happens to be really good, BAN IT!
If people don't like it a little, BAN IT!

Stuff doesn't need to be banned as much as countered against to make match ups better.
*cough* night March *cough*

Stuff doesn't need to be banned as much as countered against to make match ups better.

Yes, it seems that everyone's hopping aboard the Battle Compressor banwagon.

I honestly think Vileplume I feel it is too powerful you could easily get it out T1 and then T2 do 120 damge with Tina an locking you from items and your opponents from items, Special energy, and stadiums which makes it really powerful and tedious for your opponent

Thats not a argument. Its not a matter of people not knowing how to play against it, its the fact that it forces people to run very specific cards or decks to at most check it. That creates a stale and toxic meta. The only options of play are lock the opponent or throw the deck at them. As a player who wants to play skilled games, I feel these cards should be removed from competitive. Cards that prevent a player from using 60%+ of their deck shouldn't be so easy to play and they are.

Exaggerations are probably not helpful for this topic.

Pokémon rarely bans anything. Are there some players that want to ban a lot of cards, often with poor justification? Absolutely, but they aren't "everyone". Even in this thread, many are giving sound reasons for it. Being countered does not make a card balanced. It can, but it is not guaranteed. There is also the skill threshold; if something is causing a problem at all skill levels but the top, that isn't a success for the design team either since they aren't targeting this TCG to such a narrow audience.

Getting more general (as in this isn't just something I'm telling Phoenix15), there are some cards that you can tell are going to cause issues just through a basic understanding of the game's fundamentals. Double Colorless Energy ought not to ever have been reprinted for Standard play. It was however, and the answer was obvious: allow it to rotate out. The games designers did not, even though it was quite clear that the intended combos were working out a little too well, and that is discussing the metagame from the HS-era sets. While it helped make some cards viable for competitive play, in doing so it crowded out others. When it was reprinted for the BW-era, we saw it continue to do likewise and then some as we started getting Pokémon-EX that - though not all thanks to Double Colorless Energy - were able to hit too hard, too quickly to allow enough time for other game mechanics which were intentionally designed to be slower and dictate the pace of the game to function properly.

Double Colorless Energy is not the only card that I believe causes problems, but it is the easiest one to pinpoint and where the ramifications seem the easiest to estimate. As this discussion was about the one card to ban, I believe this is it. The answer to improving the game is, however, not that easy: instead of banning (short term solution) the powers-that-be need to dial back the pace of the game which involves overall card design.

Back