What Would Be a Good Deck List For Flygon/Dusknoir?

donteatsoap7

Aspiring Trainer
I really like this deck idea, but idk what to include in it. I've seen Celebi EX being used, but I just read that there are better options (Nijask, Gliscor, Donphan). I do like the the Ninjask + Shedinja combo. If you guys could build the perfect deck, what would you include? Thanks.

I played it with Ninjask. Attack with Ninjask, switch to Flygon, when there is enough damage on the board, move it around with Dusknoir. I played it league against the juniors and jr's loved to pilot it as well. It was a fun deck, giving jr.'s a chance to win, but if they took to long they were done. It beat some Sr./Masters as well. It showed the Jr's that they didn't always need EXs to win.

Good luck
Eddie

SheNinja said:
Hammers, Tropical Beach, Max Potion, NO ENERGIES!!!, Munna BCR...

Heh, someone's proud of their list ;) but all kidding aside, minimal energies is key, and max potion is hilarious. If you want to attack to increase damage output, Donphan is definitely your fighting type attacker, and I still haven't found a better grass attacker than Ninjask. Shedinja doesn't fit as well in Flygon, simply because it doesn't get out of the active spot between turns. I did some digging (through older set's scans) and found some neat attackers of other types. Emolga from Next Destinies does 30 and a hit-and-run for two energy, which isn't brilliant, but still something to consider, so is Cryogonal 33 from Noble Victories. For two water energies, it does 40 damage, then you pick it up, and all cards attached to it, and put it in your hand. Also from Noble Victories is Bisharp 76, who for two energies does 30 with hit-and-run, but also has some sweeping ability once you get to the point where you want to close things out. There are some other options, but they weren't really that promising.

I'm really starting to like this deck. :b

My build consists of Flygon-Accelgor-Dusknoir:

3 - Accelgor (Deck and Cover)
1 - Dusknoir
1 - Duskull
2 - Emolga (DrX 45) (may replace again with another 1-1 Dusknoir)
3 - Flygon
4 - Shelmet
4 - Trapinch
1 - Vibrava

My strategy: attack with Accelgor, poisioning and paralyzing the defending Poké, shuffle Accelgor back into the deck, and then promote Flygon whose Sand Slammer Ability will drop another damage counter onto all of my opponent's Poke between turns.

donteatsoap7 said:
So, would Celebi be any good?

No... I actually just built Flygon again today, using 2-2 Donphan, 2-2 Ninjask, and 2 cryogonal (NV33). Seems to be working pretty well so far. It will certainly need more testing though.

Moving to the appropriate forum. Remember that Decklist Help is only for decklists that are already made.

Against a totally energyless variant an opponent will just set up 1-2 Pokemon. Congratulations, you have a 20-40 damage output per turn with 2 stage 2s up. Good job.

I've had some fun testing this with Flygon I think the best way to use him would be to run him with Dusknoir, Celebi, Landorus and maybe mewtwo EX.

run fighting and DCE. Celebi is a huge liability though. I'll some numbers of things I would consider running...

3-2-3 Flygon
2-0-2 Dusknoir
2 Mewtwo EX
2 Landorus EX
2 Celebi EX

3-4 Skylas
3-4 Rare Candy
4 Pokemon Catchers
4 Pokemon Communications
4 Switch/ Escape ropes
2 Max Potion.
1-2 Super rods

Energies
8-10 F, 4 DCE

You will basically be aiming for either a turn 1 Hammerhead/ X-ball or a turn 2 Flygon via Rare candy so you can start dropping damage down or as soon as possible don't load up the rare candy'ed Flygon since it would be pointless then start focusing on evolving your other flygons the slow way/ getting dusknoir out or if you see you will need to rely mostly on your EX's instead do that :p I think its the most versatile flygon deck out there I would maybe even consider bumping it up to a 4-2-4 or 4-3-4 depending on how much you feel you use them as opposed to your other attackers. Tropical beach goes nice in the deck too but its a hard card to come by as well so lets not count on that :p

donteatsoap7 said:
So, would Celebi be any good?
It depends...

• Yes, it would. Celebi EX's Ability, Time Recall, allows a player to use any attacks from a Pokémon's previous evolutions. The Flygon - Vibrava combo is an excellent example: one could use Vibrava's Sand Pulse attack (for FCC energy cost) to inflict 50 damage onto the defending Poké and 10 damage onto each of the opponent's benched Poké.
  • No, it would not. There are perhaps some other Poké (e.g., Accelgor) that could be used to facilitate good attacks. Secondly, its role is just to sit on the bench; it would become a HUGE Catcher target as an EX; and lastly it only has a "low" 110 HP and easily 1HKOd. Garbodor seems to be popular again (as evidenced by its use and good results at recent State tournaments) and Garbotoxin will nullify Time Recall.
I'd suggest playtesting deck versions:
  • 1. 4-3-4 Flygon, 2 Celebi EX, 2-0-2 Dusknoir, and 3 Landorus EX (also excellent for this deck and a great starting Poké). In this case, after a Landorus EX start (hopefully), Flygon is promoted to the active position and stays there . You attack with Vibrava's Time Recall'd Sand Pulse, and then each opponent's Poké takes another 10 damage from Flygon's Sand Slammer Ability between turns - sooooo cool. You might want to include 2 Tool Scrappers in this version and you might want to consider using "speed" setup cards too. You will get alot of damage into play fast for Dusknoir.
  • 2. 4-1-4 Flygon, 3-3 Accelgor, 2-0-2 Dusknoir, 2 Mew EX, and 3 Landorus EX. You'll need more Switch/Escape Rope cards in this version since you'll need to get Mew EX/Accelgor back into the active position.
One exercise I do while I finish building a deck is to consider how I would play against it. Is one version "easier" than the other? Also, is one (of the above deck versions) harder to recover if you are playing from behind?

Every deck has a risk-reward ratio. Both decks have advantages, as well as disadvantages. After playtesting different versions and tweaking the deck for your area's metagame, you'll find the right mix that works for you.

Hope these comments help.

More stuff lol...

Relative to the Flygon-Dusknoir-Celebi EX version, consider trying this:

Pokémon (20)
4 - Flygon
3 - Vibrava
4 - Trapinch (secondary starter)
3 - Landorus EX (my preferred starter and very useful against Darkrai EX decks)
2 - Celebi EX (hopefully, never start with this Poké)
2 - Duskull
2 - Dusknoir

Trainers (30)
2 - Bianca
2 - Colress (useful since I tend to play with a full bench with this deck)
1 - Computer Search
1 - Energy Search
1 - Escape Rope (again, useful to get active confused/paralyzed/asleep Poké back to the bench; but your opponent switches the defending Poké first)
2 - Heavy Ball (for either Dusknoir or Lando)
1 - Level Ball
4 - N (very, very useful, especially when playing from behind - which seems to happen 50%+ of the time...)
2 - Poké Catcher (not that critical in this deck)
2 - Pokémon Communication (given the "high" Poké count and not needing to "thin out" the deck that much, Communication is preferred vs. Ultra Ball)
3 - Professor Juniper
3 - Rare Candy
2 - Skyla
1 - Super Rod
2 - Switch
1 - Tool Scrapper (may need to be bumped up to 2 given your area's metagame)

Energy (10)
4 - DCE
6 - F

This version is fun to play, especially when I could Sand Pulse and Sand Slammer multiple times. (I must admit KOing benched Squirtles was soooo much fun). In some games, my opponent would place fewer Poké on the bench (sometimes worked to my advantage). In other games, the DCEs were prime Hammer targets. Another observation: Opponents went "nuts" trying to KO a single benched Duskull (LOL). I did try to bench both Duskull at the same time (or 1 when I thought my opponent could not KO the Duskull) in hopes that 1 would survive till my next turn.

By the way, I now dislike the Accelgor variant; I can't attack T1 and I could not consistently keep the Deck and Cover sequence going. (I also didn't like exposing the "low" HP Mew EX too often either.)

Also, in a game when 2 DCE were prized, the deck is quite less effective.

I'm finding this to be a really fun deck to play.

After playtesting the Flygon-Celebi EX variant, I made some additional observations:
  • DCEs are major Hammer targets and you can't get them back. In addition, it takes 2-3 turns to power-up (vs. 1 for Landorus) Vibrava.
  • More Catchers are needed too in order to inflict maximum damage with Sand Pulse. Also, after a Sand Pulse and Sand Slammer combo, more damage counters are typically in play vs. the 30-30 Hammerhead attack.
  • Celebi EX is definitely not the ideal starter and subject to an easy KO with its "low" HP.
  • Celebi EX is also a HUGE, bench warming 2-prize target too.
  • When Garbotoxin is active, the deck is obviously not that effective for "too many" turns, IMHO (without Lando). Timing of Landorus early attacks, Scrapping the opponent's Tools away (note: there is a small window of opportunity to move the damage counters before the opponent attaches another Tool), and KOing Trubbish's become critical.
Long story short, I prefer the deck version without Celebi EX:

Pokémon (17)
3 - Flygon
1 - Vibrava
4 - Trapinch (secondary starter)
4 - Landorus EX (my preferred starter)
3 - Duskull (I like benching 2 of these at 1 time)
2 - Dusknoir

Trainers (35)
2 - Bianca
2 - Colress
1 - Computer Search
1 - Energy Search
1 - Escape Rope
1 - Heavy Ball (for either Dusknoir or Lando)
2 - Level Ball
2 - Max Potion (to keep Flygon or Lando "healthy" to continue Sand Slammering or Hammerheading, respectively)
4 - N
2 - Poké Catcher
2 - Pokémon Communication
3 - Professor Juniper
4 - Rare Candy
2 - Skyla
1 - Super Rod
3 - Switch
2 - Tool Scrapper

Energy (8)
8 - F

The energyless version is the best- Beach makes it consistent and Max Potion is monstrous. The deck is solid but Big Basics and Darkrai can avoid heavy benching, and Keldeo outright wrecks you.

Altaria only boosts damage done by the attacks of Dragon Pokemon, and only to the Defending Pokemon. Flygon deals damage via its Ability that is spread around the enemy's Pokemon. Why would Altaria be good with it? All it does is decrease consistency and give away easier prizes.

Back