Help What Will Replace N

Jerry White

Aspiring Trainer
Trying to figure out what will be the following repleacmnts.

N
Vs Seeker
And Lysander

any help would be awesome thank you

While there is almost no such thing as direct replacements, with the except of Shaua and Hau or Professor Juniper and Professor Sycamore, the only thing I know for sure that would be good 'replacements' is Guzma for Lysandre, Ilima for N and Lusamine and/or Tapu Lele GX for VS Seeker. None of them are perfect replacements but they are the closest things we seem to have right now.

Why do you even need a replacement for N? It's not rotating. And if you're asking about a rotation in a year+'s time... A lot could change between now and then. For all you know, we get an N reprint in 2 sets' time.

well vs seeker is not replaceable its to good and eventaually we will get a reprint(gen 4 remakes if that happens will bring it)
lysandre has allready been replaced by guzma
and N is so unique i doubt they could ever make a card as usefull as him without just a direct reprint

well vs seeker is not replaceable its to good and eventaually we will get a reprint(gen 4 remakes if that happens will bring it)
and N is so unique i doubt they could ever make a card as usefull as him without just a direct reprint
n is a direct reprint of rockets admin so we could get it under a different name someday

Disagree here, N is not so unique. True what they would do is make a new supporter with the exact same effect. This evident with Shauna/Hau and Juniper/Sycamore. And as pete pointed out N is reprint itself of Rocket's Admin.

And btw as far as I'm concerned N is not that good. Yes it has it uses but it's not that good.

Disagree here, N is not so unique. True what they would do is make a new supporter with the exact same effect. This evident with Shauna/Hau and Juniper/Sycamore. And as pete pointed out N is reprint itself of Rocket's Admin.

And btw as far as I'm concerned N is not that good. Yes it has it uses but it's not that good.
The fact that you say n is not that good speaks volumes about your experience with the game. N has been a major draw supporter In just about every deck sense it came out and it's double function as disruption is unparalleled. As far as "replacement I ment that it's such a unique affect that you would have to copy it for a true replacement anything trying to imitate would pale in comparison

The fact that you say n is not that good speaks volumes about your experience with the game. N has been a major draw supporter In just about every deck sense it came out and it's double function as disruption is unparalleled. As far as "replacement I ment that it's such a unique affect that you would have to copy it for a true replacement anything trying to imitate would pale in comparison

I've had enough experience with the game. I don't see too many N's in my area, yes I've seen some but not everyone is packing it like they did Ultra Ball, VS Seeker, Lysandre, Sycamore and Skyla. It just shows that the play style in my area is different than yours, and it doesn't make yours any more valid or better than mine. In fact my decks have no N's and do just fine. N may be different in how it disrupts but it is not the only disruption ability. However your view may prove why they should never replace this card as it should be time for new strategies instead of replicating the old ones.

Trying to figure out what will be the following repleacmnts.

N
Vs Seeker
And Lysander

any help would be awesome thank you

Unfortunately, N will be legal for at least another year, so you don't need a replacement for that.

VS Seeker, fortunately, is rotating and... you just need to let it go. VS Seeker originally debuted all the way back in EX: FireRed/LeafGreen on August 30, 2004. It remained with the game for a few years, but eventually, they allowed it to rotate out of Standard play (and this was well before the Expanded Format). I don't think they expected it to be as good as it proved when they reprinted it; back in the day, you only ran one or two, as opposed to most decks running three or four. ;) If you're desperate to reclaim Supporters from the discard pile, I think you realistic option is Puzzle of Time, maybe Gladion when it releases. Please understand that they are not VS Seeker and so should not be used in an overly similar manner.

Lysandre is replaced by Guzma; most of the time Guzma is as good or better than Lysandre.

Totally disagree. N is one of the best cards in the game. It can completely turn a game around. Not many cards have that power.

Totally disagree. N is one of the best cards in the game. It can completely turn a game around. Not many cards have that power.

Have to agree to disagree. In all of my games I have never seen it do that. Different areas have different styles, and the few times I've seen it, it hasn't turned the game around.

Thank you everyone for the help. i wasn't to sure about N being rotated.

"Rotation", when the oldest sets leave the Standard Format, happens once per year. Historically, it has almost always been around September 1st. The official announcement for this year's rotation went up at Pokémon.com on July 12 of this year. This will tell you what sets and promos are going to remain legal. If you need help looking up specific cards from an expansion, you can use the official Pokémon TCG Card Database to look up specific cards.

Of course, you may have done this as N has a stupidly hard name for the average search engine on these kinds of sites; use the "Card Text" field, entering at least some of the effect text from N. So typing in "Each player shuffles..." brings up a few other cards, but also N. If you have a physical copy of the card or image or text spoiler handy, you can just enter more of the text to ensure you only bring up N. Ugh, perhaps you even did all of that, because the official site is being stupid and won't accept more text than "Each player shuffles his or her hand into his or her deck. Then", which still brings up 11 results. This is why I use some other website's databases for searches but I don't believe I am allowed to freely link to some of them on this message board.

Sadly, the old website pokepedia.net is no longer being updated; while far from perfect, it had a lot of useful search fields and so you might be able to find the closest relevant one for the cards which are about to rotate to see if there were any worthwhile replacements. Yes, I am risking a link to that website, since it isn't really competition for anything PokéBeach is doing as it hasn't updated since March of 2016. XP

=================

On the subject of N...

N is a very strong card, and while it takes skill to use it well overall, it is far better at punishing one player for playing the game well and/or reward another for playing the game poorly. Its highly variable effect has sometimes lead to N seeing being a maxed out staple or included as a single. It seems odd that the local metagame of @Pikachu6319 doesn't feature it in their competitive play, but it could be justified depending upon the specifics. It also could just be local tastes deviating from what really works. ;)

Last edited:
Have to agree to disagree. In all of my games I have never seen it do that. Different areas have different styles, and the few times I've seen it, it hasn't turned the game around.

Maybe you're playing in a League where all the players just don't use competitive decks? Because I find it hard to believe that hardly anyone in your area uses it. There's a reason that the Top 8 decks at Worlds all use multiple N, and not just this year, but every year since it's been released. I'm interested to see your current deck list.

N is so good not just because of its draw power but also it's ability to turn around games in which you are losing the prize trade. The value it offers there is definitely difficult to replace in an alternative card. Otherwise, having a card with an early game draw six is not that difficult to make.

In my Owls/Ninetales GX decklist, I found that running Wicke was better than Ilima, but N is the way to go, until rotation. Edit: stupid autocorrect.

Last edited:
Maybe you're playing in a League where all the players just don't use competitive decks? Because I find it hard to believe that hardly anyone in your area uses it. There's a reason that the Top 8 decks at Worlds all use multiple N, and not just this year, but every year since it's been released. I'm interested to see your current deck list.

While I agree that what @Pikachu6319 describes sounds unusual, be careful not to overstate your own case. The World Championships may be the highlight of the competitive season, but it is one tournament out of an entire year; the metagame fluctuates throughout. There was even a period when N wasn't Standard legal but was Expanded legal! As we can look up the most recent results easily and the results of the four highlight "Commemorative" World Championship decks fairly easily, let's look at those:
  • In the Masters Age Bracket of the 2017 World Championships, seven out of the eight decks ran 3 N: no more, no less. 8th place ran four.
  • Looking at the four decks selected for the "Commemorative" 2016 World Championship Decks, three out of four run only two N, with one running four.
  • Looking at the four decks selected for the "Commemorative" 2015 World Championship Decks, one ran one, two ran two, and one ran four N.
  • Looking at the four decks selected for the "Commemorative" 2014 World Championship Decks, all ran four copies of N.
  • Looking at the four decks selected for the "Commemorative" 2013 World Championship Decks, all but one ran four copies of N, with the final running three copies.
  • Looking at the four decks selected for the "Commemorative" 2012 World Championship Decks, each deck ran a different amount: 1, 2, 3, or 4 copies of N.
The first release of N came after the 2011 World Championship but N doesn't exactly have a new effect; Rocket's Admin released back in 2004 (after the 2004 World Championships), and its effect only differs in that a player could draw up to the number of his or her Prize cards. For our purposes, this isn't too relevant as it only matters for those few times when a player would not want to draw as many as possible off of this effect. So looking at the relevant World Championship decks again:
  • Looking at the four decks selected for the "Commemorative" 2006 World Championship Decks, one ran two, one ran three, and two ran four.
  • Looking at the four decks selected for the "Commemorative" 2005 World Championship Decks, one ran one, two ran two, and one ran three.
So what does this tell us?

What it does not tell us is, again, how things changed throughout the entire year. It does suggest that competitive decks are likely to run high counts of N but sometimes only a single copy will suffice, and there are formats where two copies were adequate for most decks. There are almost certainly several factors to consider, like the presence of VS Seeker, non-Supporter draw, etc.

Back