Discussion What to pair with Mega Ampharos EX?

MaD_DoG

Defying physics since 2012
So recently I attended a prerelease and managed to get a 1-1 line of Mega Ampharos EX. For those of you who don't know what it does here it is:

M Ampharos EX HP220 [L]

[L][L][C][C] Exavolt 120+
You may do 50 more damage and leave your opponents Active Pokemon Paralyzed. If you do, this pokemon does 30 damage to itself.

I came up with plenty of ideas to play it in expanded, but I am having trouble coming up with ideas in standard. The only thing I can come up with is the Crobat line to snipe other Megas and get them down to 170hp so I can knock them out in one hit with Mega Ampharos, but then i won't get the auto paralysis effect because my opponent's pokemon will be knocked out. So leave your ideas on what you would pair Mega Ampharos with if you were to play it in an XY-on deck.

Volcarona Aoar would be good energy accelration. Amparos/Volcarona/Bats is best version in my opion

Volcarona Aoar would be good energy accelration. Amparos/Volcarona/Bats is best version in my opion

Volcarona takes up to much space and isn't really needed at all.

I think the best bet is to use a combination or Lysandre's/Escape Rope to switch out damaged Pokemon to the bench to hit other Pokemon. The goal should be to profit from the Para and pretty much get a free turn (unless they use switch) then finish them off later with Bats or something else that can hit for bench damage. 1hitKO's should not be the goal, because you'll get zero profit from the entire effect of the move.

IMO, the main issue with M Ampharos EX is not "when" or "how" one will get KOs as much as attaching the proper energy onto this Poké as quickly as possible. The fulfillment of LLCC energy cost is quite time-consuming, 3-4 turns via manual attachment. Consider that an opponent running a single Hawlucha could easily terrorize your Amphys during 3-4 turns...

I'd suggest considering the partnering of your Ampharos EX and M Ampharos EX with either some type of energy attachment acceleration "engine" that can expedite the fulfillment of the required energy or other Poké that compliment your main Poké, minimizes your energy disruption, and can buy you the necessary turns to manually power-up your Amphys. For example:

• Yveltal. This is a "sturdy" 130 HP Basic Poké whose Oblivion Wing attack recovers 2 D energy from your discard pile and allows you to attach them to a benched Poké. This Poké also has F Resistance and can serve as an alternate attacker too. Further, you could also utilize Shadow Circle Stadium in order to nullify Amphy's Weakness.
  • Mewtwo EX. Another "big" Basic, "hall of fame" Poké (IMO) that can serve as an initial attacker while you power-up your benched Amphys. Since both Ampharos EX and M Ampharos EX have a "CC" energy cost requirement for their respective main attacks, DCE easily fills that particular requirement. In so doing, utilizing DC energy immediately opens/invites opportunities to utilize great Poké like Mewtwo EX whose X-ball, CC energy cost attack is quite formidable. Mewtwo EX also provides some Weakness diversity too. The new Lugia EX also fits into this role too.
  • Seismitoad EX. Not only does this Poké utilizes a CC energy cost for its Quaking Punch, this attack also disrupts your opponent by not allowing him/her to use Items on his/her next turn. Again, very useful in buying time while you build up your benched Amphy.
  • Manectric EX / M Manectric EX. Both of these Poké are really good, IMO. Manectric EX is another great starter that can inflict damage onto both Defending and an opponent's benched Poké with its Overrun attack for a measley C energy cost. Its second attack, Assualt Laser, for just LC energy cost either inflicts 60 damage or 120 damage if the Defending Poké has an attached Tool. M Manectric EX's Turbo Bolt attack inflicts 110 damage AND allows you to attach 2 Basic energy from your discard pile to 1 of your benched Poké. A disadvantage is that these Poké also have F Weakness (this can be mitigated to some degree).
By the way, both L and W Poké can also take advantage of the Rough Seas Stadium that provides 30 damage healing each turn - a very useful advantage to perhaps consider too.

These Poké are the top choices that first come to my mind. I hope you find these comments helpful.

An interesting rogue idea for M Ampharos (and believe me, I pulled 1-1 line of it and spirit link, I want to figure this deck out too) is Rotom from AOR, and Trick Coin. Using its Electric Mischief attack in combination with Trick Coin, you could mess with your opponents setup until you can get a Mega Ampharos set up.

@Tuxedo Black
Flash energy can take away weakness for Mega Ampharos so Hawlucha should not be able to OHKO it and it shouldn't take 4 turns to set one up because it can abuse Mega Turbo. I like the idea of using Toads and Lugias so I will probably test that out.

@Ghazernad o
Rotom sounds cool, but it's too flippy and doesn't do any damage. Seismitoad EX sounds much better because it shuts off part of your opponent's deck because they aren't able to play items and it can do damage.

@Tuxedo Black
Flash energy can take away weakness for Mega Ampharos so Hawlucha should not be able to OHKO it and it shouldn't take 4 turns to set one up because it can abuse Mega Turbo. I like the idea of using Toads and Lugias so I will probably test that out.

@Ghazernad o
Rotom sounds cool, but it's too flippy and doesn't do any damage. Seismitoad EX sounds much better because it shuts off part of your opponent's deck because they aren't able to play items and it can do damage.

The issue with Flash Energy though is that it can be easily taken out by an Enhanced Hammer. In theory, Yveltal is a better than flash energy because for one, you're already setting up damage on your opponent and getting energy acceleration. You're preferably going to run DCE anyways so running Flash Energy is to much special energy for your opponent to just knock off and making it harder for you to get back the precious energy you need.

Raichu from X/Y is a good option as well, it's not only a DCE to charge up, but has free retreat. Combine that with Fairy Garden you can easily retreat your Ampharos in to Raichu for an easy trade usually 2-1 and take full advantage of paralysis since you're not focusing on the OHKO. Course the down side would be you using two kinds of basic energy.

I think Manectric-EX is a good call, though it does give the deck a pretty bad matchup against anything Fighting, especially Hawlucha and Hippowdon. Though you CAN KO a Hawlucha with a Muscle Band Overrun.

Looking at M-Ampharos, it seems to be built to OHKO non-Megas and stun Megas for follow-up KOs. I thought about running it with Swellow (XY), because you can paralyse the opponent, get them to switch it out with Drive Off, then hit the new Pokemon while still keeping the injured one on the bench. The problem with this strategy is that they can just send in Hawlucha or something, and get a free retreat anyway. Flashfire's Magnezone would be great with this strategy...if it didn't require 3 [L] Energy to attack.

While I love Ampharos and was psyched to hear it was getting an EX and Mega, it just seems to be very clunky at the moment. Powering it up is pretty difficult, although Mega Turbo and DCE will make it easier. I have to wonder why it requires 4 Energy when M-Ray can reap even greater havoc with just 3.

I think MegaMan/Ampharos seems like the least clunky way to do it. The deck can still operate relatively efficiently with only these two lines. DevinTheWelf's Lysandre/Bats idea is good in theory, but it would get pretty clunky, and would be totally powerless against anything with Theta Stop (I'm looking at you, M Sceptile).

My best guess would be to use mega manectric + a thin vileplume line, while using ampharos mainly as a good secondary attacker.
Once you get into the para lock with Pokeal Paris and play vileplume your opponent isn't likely to have anything to get out of it asides from crying, scooping, or the fare less likely option, play Pokemon Center Lady.

Having considered this, I wonder if Swellow (AT) would be good with Ampharos. One Exavolt and one Wing Attack on a 180hp EX or one of the weaker Megas and you take 3 prizes. I guess it's a bit more energy-draining but, well, Ampharos is always going to be pretty slow.

I think the best way to make ampharos playable is with no mega, a deck with 40 energys, and the especific trainers, like 4 trainers mai, 4 silent lab, 4 repeat balls, and 4 sycamores.

Is the onlye and most probable way to make a t2 Sparkling Tale

Back