Discussion What to do Without Tapu Lele?

crowfeather4

R.I.P. Night March
Currently, I have no access to any Tapu Lele, and I'm very hesitant to spend $60 on just one. How does one get around this, and maintain a decent deck consistency? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Unfortunately it is seeming most decks are most efficient with turn 1 tapu lele into briggete to get necessary pokemon to your bench to start rolling. Decks like Metagross, Gard, Ninetals and Garb variants are tremendously more successful with 2-3 tapu lele. That being said if you were on the fence on buying 1 id suggest you either buy none or buy 2..or have the intentions of getting 2 b/c 1 is not gonna bring the value you need out of it. Decks like greninja, volc and quad sylveon currenlty do not require lele to be successful, with Volc being tier 1 with great match up vs Metagorss...if you dont want to spend 60 on one card then you could potentially spend 60 or less completing a volc deck, depending on what cards you currently own.

Unfortunately it is seeming most decks are most efficient with turn 1 tapu lele into briggete to get necessary pokemon to your bench to start rolling. Decks like Metagross, Gard, Ninetals and Garb variants are tremendously more successful with 2-3 tapu lele. That being said if you were on the fence on buying 1 id suggest you either buy none or buy 2..or have the intentions of getting 2 b/c 1 is not gonna bring the value you need out of it. Decks like greninja, volc and quad sylveon currenlty do not require lele to be successful, with Volc being tier 1 with great match up vs Metagorss...if you dont want to spend 60 on one card then you could potentially spend 60 or less completing a volc deck, depending on what cards you currently own.
Thank you very much for this advice! I do have Greninja built, and I will look into Volcanion. Could the decks you mentioned before that still function w/out Lele? Is a T1 Bridgette that necessary?

Thank you very much for this advice! I do have Greninja built, and I will look into Volcanion. Could the decks you mentioned before that still function w/out Lele? Is a T1 Bridgette that necessary?
In a competitive environment the other decks do not function as well without lele. Briggete is huge because you set up 1st turn to be able to rare candy the following turn into your big gx attackers... its all about who can set up first.. if one person is playing leles and one is not...luck and skill being equal... the player with lele will have more succes with the previous mentioned decks, which is why the cheapest version is going for 60. If you watcch some of this past weekends stream of worlds you can see how frequent a turn 1 lele to briggete is and when one player gets it off and the other doesnt you can see how much of an impact it has as well

In a competitive environment the other fecks do not function as well without lele. Briggete is guge because you set up 1st turn to be abke to rare candy the following turn into your big gx attackers... its all about who can set up first.. if one person is playing leles and one is not...luck and skill being equal... the player with lele will have more succes with the orevious mentioned decks, which is why the cheapest version is going for 60. If you watcch some of this oast weekends stream of worlds you can see how frequent a turn 1 lele to briggete is and when one player gets it off and the other doesnt you can see how much of an impact it has as well
Thanks! Doesn't Volcanion need Lele as well? I thought that was a standard now w/ Ho-oh and Kiawe?

Its not a neccessity as it is in other decks. Sure itd be nice to lele a turn 1 kiawe but i feel thr is more significant in deck more focused on aggro ho-oh partnered with salazzle gx as opposed to your normal volc which uses more turt gx as opposed to ho oh. With limited bench space you have in volc you dnt wanna clog slot or two with leles that will just sit there

Its not a neccessity as it is in other decks. Sure itd be nice to lele a turn 1 kiawe but i feel thr is more significant in deck more focused on aggro ho-oh partnered with salazzle gx as opposed to your normal volc which uses more turt gx as opposed to ho oh. With limited bench space you have in volc you dnt wanna clog slot or two with leles that will just sit there
Oh, I see. Thank you very much! I will definitely look into Volcanion!

I have to agree with Alphahitman4. At least one Tapu Lele GX is on usual used to search out Bridgette. Turn one Bridgette gets Basic Pokémon from the deck and also thins the deck without a need to use that many item cards. In evolution decks Bridgette stabilizes the deck. In these decks you will want two to three Tapu Lele GX. The second and/or third one are commonly used to grap either Guzma, Acerola or a draw supporter when your hand is dead. Evolution deck will commonly need two to three Tapu Lele GX. Personally I would only run three Tapu Lele GX if the deck naturally uses Double Colorless Energy or Max Elixir. An exception from this rule is Greninja Break. He can set up with Frogadier.

Decks that are focused on Big Basic Pokémon are more likely to get away without a turn one Tapu Lele GX to set up. However, some of these decks such as Volcanion need at least one Tapu Lele GX for a turn one Kiawe to fuel Turtonator GX. This allows the deck to attach to a benched Pokémon and use Max Elixir on them to be able to stream attackers from turn two on. Kiawe is commonly used as a one-off, or two-off because he is not that useful if you do not get it out on your first turn where you would be unable to attack anyway.

Decks focusing on Big Basic Pokémon can get away with one Tapu Lele GX if you run a stable draw supporter line (=10 draw supporters in total) and possibly either Octillery or Oranguru. Another exapmple would be Water Box because you do not need to swarm the basics in order to have a sufficient number of them out to be evolved next turn. Furthermore, Water Box and Fire Box can utilize Brooklet Hill to search out their attackers and assistance Pokémon (e.g. Octillery, Starmie etc.). For that reason you might get away with a single Tapu Lele GX.

Hope this provides some initial assistance.

Back