Help What to Bother Bringing to Trade Events

Number51x

Blasting off at the speed of light!
I have a couple of good size binders of trades, but what should I bother bringing to actual events (like league or Pre-Releases) where people do trades? Are folks only really interested in EX/GX, regular and full art? Does anyone care about trainer cards (full art or otherwise)? What about throw ins? Seems like lugging my full binders to these kinds of events has been kind of a waste of effort.

It all depends on the cards. I personally bring a binder with Pokemon holo rares and higher (including non-holo promos) and key Trainers while good Pokemon that are UC or lower are put into an empty ETB.

My main binder has my EX and GX cards for trade, along with some prism cards and a few FA Supporters. But I'm also working on a smaller trade binder specifically for trainers

My main binder has my EX and GX cards for trade, along with some prism cards and a few FA Supporters. But I'm also working on a smaller trade binder specifically for trainers

Does anyone at these kinds of events have interest in non-foil trainers? My trainers binder has FA, PS, foil (good bad or otherwise), and pages of trainers that see play in the current meta.

Maybe I should as a different question. What are people generally most interested in for trades; monetary value, play-ability, or collecting/set completion?

Maybe I should as a different question. What are people generally most interested in for trades; monetary value, play-ability, or collecting/set completion?
Playability and collecting are the two main interests I see when I'm at events, but I also see people going for monetary value as well (said people also have some of the better trade binders, but there's always an uneasy air around 'em).

But as far as what people are looking to trade for when it comes to prerelease events, most traders have the stuff being previewed in their crosshairs.

Playability and collecting are the two main interests I see when I'm at events, but I also see people going for monetary value as well (said people also have some of the better trade binders, but there's always an uneasy air around 'em).

But as far as what people are looking to trade for when it comes to prerelease events, most traders have the stuff being previewed in their crosshairs.

Oh, no doubt about the money guys. It's like their trading stock or something. Way too intense.

Weird that there would be much more than a little lateral movement of the new cards. Seems like everyone would want to keep the new stuff, especially if they pulled something good. I think I've got my binder arranged better now, so hopefully I'll actually get some trades done this time!

Oh, no doubt about the money guys. It's like their trading stock or something. Way too intense.

Weird that there would be much more than a little lateral movement of the new cards. Seems like everyone would want to keep the new stuff, especially if they pulled something good. I think I've got my binder arranged better now, so hopefully I'll actually get some trades done this time!
I usually trade new stuff when it's expensive unless it's a staple or something I want to play.

I personally bring Ultra/Secret Rares, holos and Reverse Holo Rares and Trainers. (I use a large ring binder for this.) Ideally, regular trainers would be a good idea, too, but I needed to draw the line somewhere. Reverse Common/Uncommons (aside from Trainers) aren't THAT sought after, but you could maybe cherry-pick more meta ones (say, Alolan Vulpix or Trubbish). They're also, realistically, not typically worth much, so aren't especially great trade bait unless you're looking for equally inexpensive cards.

Worth noting that I bring these to regular league as well, not just events.

Keep in mind that, in general, you won't necessarily get a large volume of trades. It's really more about having something for everyone to maximize your chances at a successful trade when you do find someone willing. And to that end, the more you bring, the better. But it comes down to what you're comfortable with, and how much it's worth to you. (And what you're even looking for. You're not going to trade that Hyper Rare Zoroark for that reverse holo Gloom to complete your Burning Shadows set, now are you?)

Yeah, by "get some trades done" I meant like 5 good trades. I have all the meta cards so really, when I go to trade, I'm just looking to fill out my collection. I'll make trades tipped in the other person's favor all the time as long as I can get a card I want.

My binders are currently 2 of the zip up D ring "Z" binders (two sided). One for XY and one for Sun and Moon. Pokemon on one side, trainers on the other. Pokemon are arranged EX/GX, PStar, then Full art, then foils. Trainers are Full art/PS, foils, then regular. Foils (and regular trainers) are by type. This seem like a reasonable layout? Sounds like I should sort my foil commons/uncommons to their own pages so I can move them around and de-emphasize them.

Oh yeah, one other thing. How do people feel about PTCGO codes as "throw-ins?" I guess it comes down to how trustworthy I seem, huh? Thinking maybe I should just redeem them and trade the packs online. Maybe I'll just keep for trade the codes for GX boxes and high dollar collections.

Back