Ruling What sleeves are tournament legal?

Shadowwiidragon

My Real Amount of Posts: 2,992 (ignore profile one
I know the pokemon prerelease sleeves and non shiny sleeves are legal. Are clear sleeves legal to use?

DawnOfXatu

XXXatu
You can use the clear sleeves unless the cards in them are in bad shape. You can use any type of sleeve except:

-Sleeves that are not parentally approved (no Dark Magician girl).
-Sleeves that have an intricate picture which is easy to mark (the old FRLG Zap,Mol,Art sleeves for example).
-Sleeves that can reflect what card is next.
-Sleeves that are in bad shape.
-Different types of sleeves in the same deck.

Shadowwiidragon

Thanks. (feeling great for buying clear sleeves) So many things to think about when it comes to sleeves.

Taylor45

More Ninetales Than U
I thought you weren't allowed to use any sleeves with any sort of graphic on them unless they were from POP? Which leaves strictly solid colors or Pokemon approved sleeves like Prereleases or the Pokeball sleeves or whatever.

Oddish196

Aspiring Trainer
Taylor45 said:
I thought you weren't allowed to use any sleeves with any sort of graphic on them unless they were from POP? Which leaves strictly solid colors or Pokemon approved sleeves like Prereleases or the Pokeball sleeves or whatever.

Your correct. Under 14.2 of the tournament rules:
"The use of sleeves with any form of pattern or artwork on the back of the sleeve is strictly
prohibited at all Premier Events, unless the sleeve is an official Pokémon sleeve, where
the color along all four edges of the sleeve is identical."

J

Juliacoolo

DawnOfXatu said:
You can use the clear sleeves unless the cards in them are in bad shape. You can use any type of sleeve except:

-Sleeves that are not parentally approved (no Dark Magician girl).
-Sleeves that have an intricate picture which is easy to mark (the old FRLG Zap,Mol,Art sleeves for example).
-Sleeves that can reflect what card is next.
-Sleeves that are in bad shape.
-Different types of sleeves in the same deck.
whats wrong with dark magicial girl sleevs? I use to use them in league.

J

Juliacoolo

But DOX said something about parental stuff. And why not, If they are all the same.

Oddish196

Aspiring Trainer
Shadowwiidragon said:
That's cool. Thanks. PokemonSteve: You memorized some of the tournament rules?

Some, but I don't remember where they are in the documents. lol

Just for everyone can see:
14.2. Card Sleeves
Card sleeves are allowed to be used at Pokémon Organized Play events, provided that they meet
the following requirements:
• All of the sleeves on a deck must be the same color, condition, size, and texture.
• The fronts of the sleeves are clear, clean, and free of designs, holograms, and emblems
that may obscure card information.
• The sleeves completely cover the entire card, leaving no portion sticking out of the open
end.
• The sleeves are not reflective enough to be used to clearly determine the faces of cards
that remain in the deck. A reasonable degree of glossy finish on a sleeve is acceptable,
but sleeves that create a mirror-like surface, where the card above it is clearly
distinguishable, are not permitted.
• Each card sleeve contains only one card.
• The use of sleeves with any form of pattern or artwork on the back of the sleeve is strictly
prohibited at all Premier Events, unless the sleeve is an official Pokémon sleeve, where
the color along all four edges of the sleeve is identical.
• The Head Judge of a non-Premier Event has the final say over whether or not art-backed
sleeves may be used at that event. Inappropriate sleeve images (as determined by the
Head Judge) are strictly prohibited.
The Head Judge has the final say regarding whether a player’s card sleeves may be used in an
event.
Players should keep in mind that card sleeves are not a requirement at Pokémon Organized Play
tournaments or events. Should a judge inform a player that their sleeves may not be used at an
event, the player has the option of replacing the sleeves with more suitable sleeves, or playing
without sleeves.

Juliacoolo said:
But DOX said something about parental stuff. And why not, If they are all the same.
Inappropriate sleeve are probhibited.

Oddish196

Aspiring Trainer
Juliacoolo said:
How is Dark magician girl innapropriate?
I don't know what they look like, but I'm guessing it has a image on it, and sleeves that are not from POP that has images on can not be used.

Shadowwiidragon

Thanks again PokemonSteve for answering the sleeves that are tournament legal question.

dmaster

Aspiring Trainer
Elite Member
Advanced Member
Juliacoolo said:
How is Dark magician girl innapropriate?

Coughslutcough. ;o

Anyway, someone at States was turned down for using MD Prerelease sleeves. I personally didn't see anything wrong with them. They all had the same back. I'd advise bringing different sleeves just in case, wherever you go.

dmaster out.

Lyte

Shaymin = Love
CFOURCOLTSFAN said:
I am assuming you can't use Lucario sleeves if you use Japanese cards because the backs are see through right?

Correct. If the sleeves are see through at all, then the japanese cards would be obviously marked.

ApachePrime

Aspiring Trainer
CFOURCOLTSFAN said:
I am assuming you can't use Lucario sleeves if you use Japanese cards because the backs are see through right?

That's correct. You would be able to tell which card is that Japanese card from the top of your deck.

Edit: Lyte ninja'd me!

Lou Cypher

The melody of your defeat
The MD prerelease sleeves (As well as MT, SW and GE) tear down really quickly, that might've been the cause.
As far as Dark Magician Girl is concerned, she tends to show a lot of cleavage.