What Pokemon work well on a Sun Team?

Smeargle

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this, but if it is not mods feel free to move it. So, I made a sand team on here before and asked for help and it got changed a lot. So, before I make a team I'd like to find out what to make. I'm thinking Ninetails (of course)(drought), Executor (Harvest)(Sitrus Berry), Arcanine (Close Combat and extreme speed). That is all I have so far though...

RE: Good sun team?

Well for starters, you'll need the Ninetales. Good luck doing sun without it.

Sun teams are naturally weak to Tyranitar, by virtue of Ninetales inability to do anything to it. Throwing in a Fighting-type like Terrakion works brilliantly for scaring out Tyranitars. A fighting-type also works well to eliminate Heatran, who is a very big thorn for sun teams.

Sun teams also hate entry hazards, especially Stealth Rock. In weather wars, having a rapid spinner is important because Ninetales will have to enter the battlefield a lot. Forretress is a good rapid spinner for sun teams. The boost to Fire-type moves doesn't matter too much to it; they would've OHKOed him regardless of weather.

Sun's best sweeper is currently Chlorophyll Venusaur, who is incredibly difficult to outspeed and very powerful after a growth boost, especially now that Giga Drain is legal with it.

This should give you a bit of a start.

Bippa said:
Well for starters, you'll need the Ninetales. Good luck doing sun without it.

Sun teams are naturally weak to Tyranitar, by virtue of Ninetales inability to do anything to it. Throwing in a Fighting-type like Terrakion works brilliantly for scaring out Tyranitars. A fighting-type also works well to eliminate Heatran, who is a very big thorn for sun teams.

Sun teams also hate entry hazards, especially Stealth Rock. In weather wars, having a rapid spinner is important because Ninetales will have to enter the battlefield a lot. Forretress is a good rapid spinner for sun teams. The boost to Fire-type moves doesn't matter too much to it; they would've OHKOed him regardless of weather.

Sun's best sweeper is currently Chlorophyll Venusaur, who is incredibly difficult to outspeed and very powerful after a growth boost, especially now that Giga Drain is legal with it.

This should give you a bit of a start.
Would a close combat arcanine do the trick against a tyranitar or not?

Arcanine is a fairly mediocre Pokemon in OU, and it's not that good for a sun team when it gives you an additional weakness to Stealth Rock. It can beat Tyranitar, but a) good luck switching in due to Stone Edge and Stealth Rock and b) switching Arcanine into a Tyranitar is a dead indication that you pack Close Combat, resulting in it leaving the battle.

Infernape is a better option, but he is even more predictable than Arcanine.

You might want to run a fighting move on a different Pokemon instead. Focus Blast can fit on tons of stuff. It's not OU, but you could also try Hitmontop, who can also serve as a spinner. But like Bippa said, Terrakion is the best option, especially with Heatrans around. Although Dugtrio can take care of both also, if you use the Reversal set well.

You could run Landorus, fast & powerful plus it goes over spikes and toxic spikes, while only taking 12% from Stealth Rock. It can use Super Power & Focus Blast, and if you're going a special set it can run Hidden Power effectively.
Run Heatran, it is a monster in the sun.
You can run a SubCM Jirachi to hurt Rain teams which give you A LOT of trouble as they are always faster
Venusaur is a must, it is very fast under the sun and outruns all unscarfed Pokemon. But it does have a shallow move pool.

Venu is really good. It eats toxic spikes, and it can be physical, special, or mixed.
It's move options aren't HUGE, but he can dow hat he needs to for the sun team.

Giga Drain
Seed Bomb
Sludge Bomb
HP Fire (in sun yeeeaah)
Earthquake
Sleep Powder
Leech Seed
and of course Toxic & Protect

Okay, so I should have Drought ninetails, Choice scarf? terrakion, rapid spin forretress And clorophyl venesaur. Should I put executtor in? I love the idea of harvest with a sitrus berry, re-eating it a ton while attacking. I can abuse this with protect essentially using 2 sitrus berries in one turn at low health. I also like that it offers support like light screen and reflect.

Exeggutor is really pathetic to be quite honest. It's typing is really bad for defense and offense. Harvest is gimmicky at best, and very inferior to Chlorophyll. It's really slow too, even after the Chlorophyll boost.

Instead, I would recomend Quiver Dance Lilligant, who can put something to sleep with sleep powder and then set up Quiver Dances on them. Sleep Powder / Quiver Dance / Giga Drain / Hidden Power Fire might not seem like amazing coverage (even though you aren't getting much better than that), but it's really all you'll need from her, especially if you have Earthquake on your Venusaur.

On an old sun team, I know Pride used Snorlax with a lot of success. Snorlax checks Latias and Latios which can be very problematic for sun teams. It also helps against a mirror match, because of Thick Fat. Snorlax can teak fire attacks from opposing Heatran and Ninetales quite easily, as well as against the less-common Hail. It can help with, but it won't singlehandedly beat Rain teams, they generally carry too much firepower for Snorlax to just wall them.

Back