DPPt/HGSS What Pokémon Should I Use in My HG Playthrough?

Emperor_Gaius

Formerly mlouden03
I'm trying to use unusual pokemon for my playthrough, ones that I'm not used to.

Overall I have/am thinking of:

Steelix (never really used)
Fearow (haven't used since r/b/y)
Butterfree (usually prefer Beedrill) Or possibly Ariados.
Meganium (as my starter he's gonna be there anyway)

Any interesting/odd pokemon that would be good for also elite 4 etc etc?

Let me know your ideas.

RE: What pokemon should I use in my HG playthrough?

If you're going with Fearow, get the Spearow from the gate guard at the north exit of Goldenrod City. Extra exp! :p

Dunsparce is surprisingly dependable if you find one with Serene Grace and teach it Glare or Thunderwave and Headbutt.
I recently used a Slowbro in a Crystal Nuzlocke and it was a beast. Highly recommended; keep Curse on it.
Qwilfish is one I never see anyone use, but it's not too bad, honestly. Might be good to try out if you don't have a Water Pokemon picked out already. Gotta have Surf, after all.
Heracross is a much better Bug type than Ariados or Butterfree. Those two are adorable, but do a little too much dying for my tastes...
...Maybe Jynx? Would be helpful against Lance and Clair.

I actually love Hera and he's overall my favorite bug, so I'm shying away from him xD

Wooper is my current water but I'm not fond of it at all, possibly Slowking would be cool, I have never really owned one (besides just for a pokedex entry)

Also currently using Mareep just so I can assuredly beat Falkner.

I already have a lv 11 Spearow

Since I forgot to mention it, I am currently in Violet city about to take on Sprout Tower (and I already use Gastly a ton before you mention it)

Have you ever used Scyther in a playthrough? It has great speed and power. If you have, you might consider Pinsir instead. It has more power at the cost of less speed.

You might also want to experiment with Miltank. It has alright HP, decent Attack, good defense, good speed, and access to recovery moves.

I used Scyther in my SS playthrough, but never evolved to scizor. But since I'm using steelix it's slightly redundant for 2 steels. My fiance loves Butterfree so I'm using that for the time being, Pinsir would be a nice option though, I've never raised one from what I can remember. Miltank is a nice possibility as well.

Current team:

Butterfree 13
Spearow 14
Mareep 14
Krabby 15
Onix 15
Bayleaf 16

Just defeated the Azalea city Gym and am in Ilex forest.

I recall using
Feraligatr, Fearow, Ariados, Magneton, Sandslash, Exeggutor
Meganium, Seaking, Foretress, Muk, Raticate, Ampharos

Consider from those teams, at least of the ones you don't already have.
Aside them

Honchkrow (now possible with the Pokathelon and Safari Zone)
Houndoom (now possible with safari zone)
Stantler, Lanturn, Victreebel, Girafarig, and Venomoth to rhyme off some more ignored yet creative ideas.

Lapras is a nice Water type; it learns Ice Beam naturally which is a bonus, and Thunder can be used (altho innacurate). If you really want TBolt then you'd have to do Voltorb Flip for a long time to get the coins for it (assuming you're not trading or anything).
I'd recommend this moveset for it:
-Surf
-Ice Beam
-Thunder (innacurate, but nice to have)
-Confuse Ray (it's mainly filler, but has a nice use)

this set will also be a very good help against Lance. being able to 4x damage his Dragonites is a very good thing indeed (plus it can 4x Gyara with Thunder, and Charizard and Aerodactyl both go down to a Surf)

One of my favourite Pokemon to use was Vaporeon, it's bulky, it can learn Ice Beam and it's one of my favourite eeveelutions.

Back