What is Your Favorite Pokémon Movie?

For me, I'd say that the Pokemon Movies X (Rise of Darkrai), XI (Giratina and the Sky Warrior) and XII (Arceus and the Jewel of Life) are my favourite. I love how each movie follows after the other, and I've always liked the story-line for each, since they're all fairly different. Darkrai was quite mysterious, while sassy Shaymin was hilarious. Movie XII in particular is nostalgic for me, since it was the first Pokemon Movie I watched. I also quite like Gen IV in general, so bonus points there. My favourite scene(s) would probably be the following exchanges in XI:

Dawn - Nurse Joy treated you, and now you're all better!
Shaymin - Oh please, I never need treating. But I do get hungry.

and

Dawn - You're really something, aren't you?
Shaymin - I am, aren't I?

and

Shaymin - I would say you all owe me a big thankyou!
Ash - We're supposed to be telling you that, and don't forget, we're the ones who brought you to the Pokemon Center.
Shaymin - That was your idea.

and

Shaymin - I was tossed up all over the place. It was horrible!
Brock - So that's how you got covered in all the dirt.
Shaymin - I know.

Pokemon Heroes is pretty close behind, however. I always liked how Team Rocket was the antagonist, but it was actually a more intelligent pair. In addition, I think the guardian storyline was constructed really nicely.

Last edited:
Lucario and the Mystery of Mew is one of my all time top favorites. I think mostly because

1. It was the first Pokemon movie I actually watched.
  2. Later watching it, it really seemed to add much more life to the Pokemon world. I remember the ballroom scenes much more vividly, as it showed me that there's more to Pokemon than battling.
  3. The Regi's. Just...those dudes.
Pokemon Ranger and the Temple of the Sea is also follows as a close second.

Pokemon: Ranger and the Temple of the Sea
-Oh my god, this movie. This movie is underrated beyond belief. Spoilers ahead, so if you don't want any, then don't read this!

Ash and co are wandering the desert, for whatever reason. I know, it's stupid. Oh by the way, if you haven't seen this movie, then I need to tell you this is the Hoenn crew, not the Sinnoh one. Anyways, they met these people doing a freakin' outdoor water... circus? I must admit, the beginning was really really dumb. It gets good when Manaphy enters the scene. Now let's describe Manaphy's role in this movie.

Manaphy's life cycle actually begins in the course of this movie. It hatches from an egg that Team Rocket/Pirate guy (memory is really failing me) was trying to steal, and like what happened to Togepi, Manaphy thought May was its mother. Manaphy instantly bonded with May, and vice versa. Manaphy would trust May more than anyone over the course of this movie. Now here comes the plot.

The plot of the movie revolves around the antagonist. It confuses me to this day why "Pokemon Ranger" was the title of the movie when his role isn't as major as its panned out to be. He's just the guy who gets the ball rolling, and doesn't do much else besides get them to where they need to be. Now, the antagonist. This movie revolves around him. Because my memory is going to s*** I'm just gonna call him Pirate guy. So Pirate guy wants this treasure in a place called the "Temple of the Sea". The treasure is a sacred relic known as the Sea Crown, and the Pirate likely wanted it for money. Now what's Manaphy got to do with this? Manaphy is able to automatically locate this temple. It's location is hard wired into its brain. Pirate guy wants Manaphy so that it will lead it towards the Temple of the Sea, so he can take the Sea Crown, and become a mega rich Pirate guy. As usual, Ash and co, and the movies extra people get all tangled up in a mess. To someone not looking, it's a typical Pokemon movie with a dry plots and s*** voice acting (in the dub). But to someone like me, this movie is so unique compared to other Pokemon movies, that it's on a level of its own.

Why do I like this movie so much? Well, three reasons:

1. Well first off, I love the role Manaphy had. Instead of the plot Pokemon popping out of nowhere (Shaymin, Zorua, Victini, Keldeo, Genesect, Diancie, Hoopa), it was freakin' born out of a mysterious egg! And May is its mother! We not only get a role of the starred Pokemon of the movie in such an unstereotypical role, but we also get incredible development on a character! May's development from the snobby brat she was in Season 6, to the Season 9 Pokemon movie was incredible. And this movie proves how much she really loves Pokemon, when she had such a strong indifference towards them, and she used them as an excuse to get outta the house.

2. Second, the characters in the movie were great. All the added characters were well fleshed out and had a clear purpose in the movie, which has been miserably forgotten in a lot of recent movies. (Examples: Why was Mewtwo in the Genesect movie? Were those people in the Hoopa movie, his caretakers? What was the point of any character in the Victini movie? The whole damn thing was pointless!) I felt that while the Pokemon Ranger's not as major as they made him out to be, he still had a clear purpose in the movie, and executed what needed to be done well. No complaints. The first people they met were people of the water, and weren't just your typical frilled character bs. I liked pretty much every character in this movie.

3. Lastly, the shipping! If you don't know me, then let me tell you I'm a crazy Advanceshipper (the pairing of Ash and May). I adore this pairing, and this movie had quite a few little shipping moments I adored, two very obvious ones in particular. The first one being the part when they were swimming the water with Manaphy. That's cute as is, but then they swim through a school of Luvdisc. Luvdisc are said to be able to cause love between two people, and bless them with eternal happiness. And Ash and May swam through 20 or something of the crappy cgi heart shaped fish. I think that's one of the best Advanceshipping moments that any Pokemon shipper should recognize. Now the other one is also a great one. The moment when Ash puts May, Pikachu and Manaphy in the water resistant tank thingy (it's 11PM. I'm tired, and I've spent the last 45 minutes writing this. Gimme a break), and when May cries out Ash's name, in fear of him killing himself trying to save the day, I just love it. So much emotion put into one name. And this is a two parter. When Manaphy transfers Ash's thoughts to it's "papa", May is hoping aloud Ash will make it out okay, and even though she's just an animated character, you sense the worry in her voice. May likes Drew? Think again.

Last edited:
Back