Fun What is the worst pokemon card art?

Clam

Almost decent
There are countless good examples of amazing good card art, even for non V pokemon, it's clear these artists are hired for a reason. But that's not my question, my question is: What do you guys think is the most bland, boring, ugly, eye sore of a card there is?

Personal favorite bad art card.

Last edited:

beatbox2000

Aspiring Trainer
Almost every single 5ban Graphics, PLANETA, Eske Yoshinob, Ryo Ueda and other CGI artists' cards are awful.

The Expedition Charizard that is worth a tonne also looks like utter trash. I'm kinda glad that most of the time how good the art is seems to be irrelevant. The rarity and popularity seem to factor in more.

Number51x

Blasting off at the speed of light!
Pretty much every 5ban. I'm not sure why they get to make art for the cards. The style is disgustingly bland.

The Binder Guy

Aspiring Trainer
Pretty much every 5ban. I'm not sure why they get to make art for the cards. The style is disgustingly bland.
From what I understand 5ban is an in-house artist, Creatures Inc. uses ‘em because it’s cheaper than hiring an outside artist to do it.

LatoyaKelley

Aspiring Trainer
Gyarados (Rumble)

This brought one of the worst Pokémon card series we've ever seen, given the hexagonal design of its characters. Gyarados was especially bad because none of its standout features translate well to the graphic style, aside from its large mouth.
pokemon damage calculator

steffenka

Miss Vaanjie
I think most of Eske Yoshinob EX cards are some of my least favorite art wise, in particular Manaphy-EX, Glalie-EX, and Emolga-EX come to mind, as the renders all just are off to me somehow, though I think they stepped it up for (some of) the V cards. Another bad render that comes to mind is the Dragon Rayquaza EX from Roaring Skies, especially when comparing it to the promo versoin of the same card. I also agree with the Expidition Charizard, but the holo Expedition Venusaur is also a choice to me, and a bad one at that.

I don't mind 3D art, wish I could render art myself for my own fake cards, so I think PLANETA, 5ban etc., can produce quite nice art and I think it works well with ultra rares, as I think there are some artists whose work just wouldn't work with the dynamic look they seem to want with EX/GX/V/etc., but that is just how I feel about the whole 3D art topic.

Charmaster:)

Collecting, playing, & making family memories.
I think most of Eske Yoshinob EX cards are some of my least favorite art wise, in particular Manaphy-EX, Glalie-EX, and Emolga-EX come to mind, as the renders all just are off to me somehow, though I think they stepped it up for (some of) the V cards. Another bad render that comes to mind is the Dragon Rayquaza EX from Roaring Skies, especially when comparing it to the promo versoin of the same card. I also agree with the Expidition Charizard, but the holo Expedition Venusaur is also a choice to me, and a bad one at that.

I don't mind 3D art, wish I could render art myself for my own fake cards, so I think PLANETA, 5ban etc., can produce quite nice art and I think it works well with ultra rares, as I think there are some artists whose work just wouldn't work with the dynamic look they seem to want with EX/GX/V/etc., but that is just how I feel about the whole 3D art topic.
5BAN Graphics EXs are basically my childhood, so I agree with this statement. I also acknowledge that after receiving hundreds of Ultra Rares by 5BAN Graphics and other 3D artists, many fans will be tired of them. And I really enjoy it when those special cards receive non-3D artistic style illustrations. I just strongly associate 5BAN Graphics cards with my childhood.
That being said, if you are looking for janky 3D illustrations, they don't get any better (and by better, I mean worse) than the Japanese exclusive half-deck print of Rayquaza ex Dragon. The card's artwork is so bad that it makes me laugh. That facial expression!
Rayquaza (ie %22silly snake%22).jpg
This card also weirds me out. It feels wrong and it feels disturbing, and although I suppose there is nothing wrong with it, you might not want to look at it if you are going to bed soon.
Mildly concerning Gyarados.jpg

Last edited:

Frost

Ice/Fairy Stan Account
Early Tomokazu Komiya. Yes his 90's and early 00's work had personality compared to bland modern CGI but it was also ugly.

ZestyGan

Aspiring Trainer
Mega Charizard EX from flash fire. Sorry but that Cotton Candy blue, the diarrhea brown and piss yellow....what an ugly damn card.

leetic

Aspiring Trainer
Jynx from Shining Legends, it's hideous (well, even more hideous than Jynx typically is).

HolofoilStarmie

Leading expert on something, I bet
Personally I hate Stormfront Charizard, I don't understand how people think it looks good, it looks like sub-par fanart of the original and I can't believe it's by the usually amazing Arita himself. The CGI Expedition Charizard is hideous too. I'm also not a fan of 5ban Graphics work generally but all their stuff is so painfully bland and soulless I don't think I can even call it ugly, it doesn't have enough personality for that XD

While Ken Sugimori's art is great and incredibly nostalgic, cards that re-use his art are absolutely terrible, with the Pokemon just slapped in front of a generic background, not being able to be incorporated properly at all. I do sometimes love the almost vaporwave backgrounds though.