What is the Logic Behind the Energy for Dragons?

I wanna see Delta species reprints...

On topic I seems that the Dragon cards are either based on past Delta Species versions of cards (The Latis), Game types (Latis again, Tao trio,) Contemporaries (Tao trio again) or Color Schemes. Of course i think the question is more "Why do they not have their own energy card?" But this one I think seems to be awnsered easilty though. Prior to the Fairy type they were seen as the Infinity +1 Element, eclipsing Psychics in the games in that regard due to their other weakness before Fairy was frail at best, on top of that, even to this day a lot of the Dragon cards were colorless, enabling comparability (the other types that are Colorless were Normal, which makes sense as Colorless was likely based off that type and Flying, which also makes sense as most Flying types are also Normal), and I think they wanted to preserve both aspects, by having them use other Energy cards and giving them a Combination of Rainbow and Double Colorless Energy (which incidentally used the same reversed icon colors as what i dub the "Advanced Energy" cards, which Ill make a post about later [For reference, they are the Shield, Wonder, Herbal, Flash, Bad, Strong and Mystery Energy cards. and are currently lacking Fire and Water cards] adding them to the mix as well.)

Last edited:
First off, I don't want to see Delta Species reprints. I want to see whole new Delta Species Pokémon, especially with the ability to turn Pokémon into fairies and real dragons.

It does seem that there are several different things for dragons. There are certainly points for color scheme, especially for the dragons that have never been Delta Species Pokémon and even the logic behind those who have been Delta Species seem to have a lot of color scheme logic. Even typing does factor in, as the Latis go to show.

The thing is when dragons were designed they didn't all have to be weak to themselves, just a they don't have to be all weak to fairy now. Let's take Dragonite for example. Make it weak to water (ice) or electric. Altaria could be water (ice) weak. Most of the dragons could have had another weakness to vary them out, and really that could apply to a lot of Pokémon. Fire is weak to more than water after all and yet all fire types are weak to water, making that a severe disadvantage.

I think the Fire thing as due to the result of Ground-types being folded into Fighting types, and the resulting logical issue of Fighting beating Fire,

I think the Fire thing as due to the result of Ground-types being folded into Fighting types, and the resulting logical issue of Fighting beating Fire,

"Logic" and Pokémon taxonomy rarely go together. ;)

From what I can tell we've got multiple "classical" element schemes being folded together plus anything else that sounded cool. Most Types are have issues within themselves: a Ice-Type classification is justified for
  • Pokémon adapted to live in cold climates
  • Pokémon that are composed mostly of snow or ice
  • Pokémon that specialize in attacking snow, ice or cold
    • Even more confusing should Ice-Type be reserved for those that attack with "cold", which could be more unique...
    • ...or is it for attacks that simply use Ice, in which case what about other substances that change form with temperature: do they suddenly become separate Types?
Then you have the things that just don't seem to be on the same level, often only really embodying one or two of the above, especially if you disregard "...because we felt like it" reasoning of the designers. Why should the quality of being adapted to live in cold climates/composed mostly of frozen water/regularly employing attacks that focus either on cold, frozen water or both be equated to things like using specific unarmed combat techniques or attacks fueled by "chi"? Attacks fueled by "psychic powers?" Whatever Darkness is supposed to represent? When you start looking at the Types, a lot seem either redundant or lacking and I favor the former. The entire set-up was for the original Game Boy days, when distinguishing between each Pokémon required such abstractions.

Now the video game designers could (and I now wish this was the direction that Gen II or Gen III had taken) "build" the Pokémon in game, coding traits on an individual basis - stuff would be shared between different Pokémon as applicable such as "This Pokémon has wings" or "this Pokémon takes extra damage from certain kinds of attacks." After all even if we disregard my previously stated concerns, have you noticed how Weakness/Resistance/Immunity is largely a matter of designer taste? Go through them and take a closer look. For example, Water puts out fire... in sufficient quantities. In insufficient quantities fire evaporates water! Water nourishes plants... except too much water tends to snuff out anything that depends on access to the atmosphere (animals, plants, fire, etc.) and if you really do start attacking things with water (like a high pressure stream), the raw kinetic force is doing the damage and a tree stands up better to it than a human because trees resist such damage better (most of the time).

Tying this into the discussion, I think @MorningSTAR1337 has a point; the Dragon-Type is supposed to be "above" some others could be why it hasn't gotten its own Type.

The thing is when dragons were designed they didn't all have to be weak to themselves, just a they don't have to be all weak to fairy now. Let's take Dragonite for example. Make it weak to water (ice) or electric. Altaria could be water (ice) weak. Most of the dragons could have had another weakness to vary them out, and really that could apply to a lot of Pokémon. Fire is weak to more than water after all and yet all fire types are weak to water, making that a severe disadvantage.
Dragonite (and Altaria) really shouldn't be weak to either [W] or [L]. True, water also represents ice, but the energy type is technically water. This makes it seem weird in the wide Pokemon selection. My theory with [L] types is that Dragonite's [L] weakness is technically nullified with its [D] typing.

I don't know if anyone else has posted this before...

My opinion on this was always that they think of the energies based on the dragon's type and colour! MCharizard was black, hence the back energy. Dragonite was yellow and bright green, hence the Grass and Lighting energies, Kingdra was water type and had a yellow belly, hence Water and Lighting energy... Latios was blue, Latias was red and the list goes on and on...

Type and colour (eg Garchomp, Flygon), Colour (eg Dragonite, Salamence), combination of two colours that makes Pokemon's main colour (eg Goodra), types of previous evolutions (eg Dragalge), type association (eg Reshiram/Zekrom)

Dialga/Palkia/Giratina were done with Psychic, Water, Metal and Grass so they'd match up. I don't know why they did that, they could've had them all link up and still match in colour eg. Dialga could've been Metal and Water, Palkia could've been Water and Psychic and Giratina could've been Psychic and Metal. Not only would it continue with the type/colour theme the 3 energies are all still shared between them.

Zygarde, the only Dragon not printed yet outside of Megas, will use more than likely use Grass/Fighting for its energy. Mega Sceptile would probably be Grass/Fire and Mega Ampharos would probably be Lightning/Metal. If there was to be a Dragon Arceus it would be impossible to predict due to Arceus cards having multiple type energy requirements in the past, but if I had to, based on logic I'd say Psychic/Metal.

Why fire for M. Sceptile? Based on color I think fighting is just as probable. Perhaps lightning though considering we have Dragonite covered in that combo I'm thinking fighting type.

I actually think that M. Ampharos should use electric/fire myself. There is no gray on him anywhere just black, white and red.

Back