What is RNG?

Emperor_Gaius

Formerly mlouden03
A friend told me she was using RNG to get competitve pokemon..I asked what she meant but she went offline. What is RNG? How do you do it? I'm sorry if this is a noobish question

To sum it up without the link, RNG refers to the process of predicting the game's pseudo-random number generator. This is done with all sorts of calculations using all sorts of processes, but when done properly, it's possible to basically control when you get shinies and good IVs. It's possible to do this on Emerald and the 4th Gen games, and I think Black and White are currently being researched for this process. At the very least, they still need you to catch a legit 1-in-8192 shiny.

Edit: @catutie Not really, but I hope to learn. I've already found my Secret ID in Platinum with the Lottery method.

^i believe chaining and RNGing are 2 different things...also chaining is really annoying lol

i got my secret ID and all that its just i dont get the delays. if someone could explain i would go get my shiny charmander lol....and many other shinies

You need 5 chained shinies I believe to figure out your SID. 1 wild shiny will work though.

I don't know about the 5 chained shinies, the only way I know to find your SID is through the use of AR, or a randomly encountered shiny.

Chariblaze, what is the Lottery method?

Hahaha, somebody saw that. I was asking one of our resident experts on RNG, Gary Walsh (happy birthday, if you ever see this) about the chaining method because I couldn't figure out how to use it (didn't research it enough to know it was built into RNGReporter). He responded with a long explanation of it, and included an explanation of an even easier method, the Lottery method. I'll just quote some of the PM:

Gary Walsh said:
There's actually a few ways to get your SID without the standard method shiny, chaining's among the less practical ones though. If you're using HGSS or a North American version of Platinum (I'm not sure what other games the trick works for), you can get your SID simply by drawing lottery tickets. Click here. Unfortunately there's no English equivalent (you don't need to read anything though), but it's basically a giant calculator that stores every possible combination of IDs you could draw to deduce your SID, by backtracking to what's called the initial hex "daily seed" (consider it a seed for daily events that's generated every time your clock hits midnight). So what you want to do, is set up in front of Felicity/the lottery lady, and draw a ticket. When she tells you what ID you got, type it into the first, longest text box on the calculator. Then turn off your DS and set your clock to 23:59. Return to the game world and draw another ticket when the clock hits 00:00, and then put that one into the same box as well, separating the two IDs by either a space or a comma and space. You need to repeat this process a minimum of three times (three almost always does the trick though). When you have all your IDs in place, put your TID in the box underneath, and then just ignore the "2000" in the bottom box (If I'm correct it changes the size of your search; 99% you won't need it though). Finally, press the available left button underneath, and your SID should pop up along with some random hex values and Japanese, but the SID is obvious to see. And that's basically that; like I said though I'm not sure if it works for the majority of Sinnoh games, apparently the guy who made the calculator tested it to that conclusion.

Edit: If anyone attempts this method, know that it's coverage is a little odd. It apparently works with some Platinums and all HG/SSs, but there have been reports of it working on Diamond, and sometimes Platinum doesn't want to work for some reason. But HG seems to works flawlessly. Not sure if it does, but if definitely seems to.

Back