Ruling What is a char counter?

Kirlia7755

Avid Fan
Hey guys, I just found a card, namely, Quilava from Neo Genesis

http://www.psypokes.com/tcg/cardviewer.php?set=genesis&num=47

So what on earth is a char counter? Where can I find it?

Char was Nintendo's hopeless attempt of making Burn, and when you'll find that the Quilava is the only one in existence with reference to Char since they brought Burn in later.

Char is old-school burn.

The good side is it can also work when your opponent retreats the pokemon.

It's nothing really. It's the same as a poison counter but with a different picture. It might be that counter with the decks that looked like a bandaid on it since I never really knew what that was. It's simply something to keep track of the 'char' (i.e. burn condition), so you can use any counter to represent it.

I never knew that. That seems a little broken to me because you still check for burn on the bench.

Why not charred counter?

The only other card that exists with a weird "counter" type placement is the 2nd Promo Electabuzz that was given out at the Pokémon League:

Electabuzz w/ 60 HP

[L] Lightning Rod () Choose one of your opponent's Pokémon and put a Lightning Rod marker on it. (A Pokémon can have only 1 Lightning Rod marker on it at a time.)

[LL] Thundershock (10) This attack does 20 damage to any Pokémon with a Lightning Rod marker on it. Apply Weakness and Resistance.

Weakness: Fighting
Retreat: 1

I also know that some cards from the Vending Series, which never made it outside of Japan, also used different kinds of counters. The counter idea is an interesting game mechanic that Nintendo should consider bringing back in.

It's like burn but maybe char could be brought back as a more intense burn like Toxic to poision expect change it to make it a special condition so full heal etc could get rid of it.

actually Char first came out in the Gym sets, with Blaines Charmeleon.

the cool thing it is essentially not burned so someone could have a char counter and be burned!

Me neither. I have always seen only Quilava with reference to a Char counter.

If there is another card that places Char counters then put up a scan so we can see cause i dont remember any more :)

yeah the only one i've ever seen is Quilava. oh and Abhorsen you double posted the same thing just to let you know;).

Arcanine out.

Quilava is the only pokemon with the ability to place Char Counters.
The counter with the bandage picture is the BURN counter, I think the Char counter is the old counter with a pokeball sign on it.

why would a char counter have a pokeball on it, doesn't char mean like burn or something, it should be like a little flame. burn counter = bandage so yeah. i wonder if there's anything besides Quilava that has it?

Arcanine out.

Random counter types (like Char and the Lightning marker Doc mentioned) can be anything you want as long as they are not confused with damage counters.

Char, in essence, is identical to Burn, except Char counters do not go away when the Charred one is sent to the Bench; getting KOed, devolving, and evolving are the only ways to get rid of a Char counter.

Here is an actual scan of the card:

quilava2.jpg

Like armaldoEX said before, this Quilava is the only pokémon that has the ability to use Char counters.

Other Japanese-only cards that utilize strange markers include:

-> Grimer, "Grimer counters"; For one Grass energy, if the Defending Pokémon doesn't have a Grimer counter on it, it gets one. Pokémon with Grimer counters on them can't retreat.

-> Marowak, "bone counters"; For one of any Energy, player puts a bone counter on Marowak. There is no limit to the number of bone counters a Marowak can have. Its second attack causes 50 damage for FFC, with paralysis on a heads flip. The catch is you must remove a bone counter from Marowak every time you use the second attack. If you can't, you can't use the move.

-> Greedy Snorlax, "food counters"; For one of any Energy, player puts a food counter on Greedy Snorlax. It can only be used if Greedy Snorlax has less than two food counters on it. Its second attack costs three of any Energy and has 20 base damage; damage increases by 30 for each food counter you remove from Greedy Snorlax when you use the attack.

RE:  What is a char counter?

char counters, together with full flame, burn and poison, you can do up to 70 between turns... *get a deck idea for unlimited, well, I don't play unlimited, so... forgets about the idea*

GODZILLA said:
Please do not double post Abhorsen.
Please do not minimod Godzilla.
That's not double posting in the first place, it's a computer lagging/glitching.

Ontopic: If counters were back, it'd be a nightmare to produce them all... but it'd be awesome for CaCers. xD

It wasnt a common mistake, it was an accident. When I posted, the site went down as soon as I clicked 'post reply' (for me at least) and neither the main site or forums would load. So when I refreshed to get back to the site it double posted accidently and still didnt load. If I could get on the site before then I would have removed it.

And dont tell a mod how to do his job, or dont mini-mod, it's frustrating. It's like you all wanted to post just to tell me off about it...

RE:   What is a char counter?

bass_forte said:
GODZILLA said:
Please do not double post Abhorsen.
Please do not minimod Godzilla.
That's not double posting in the first place, it's a computer lagging/glitching.

Ontopic: If counters were back, it'd be a nightmare to produce them all... but it'd be awesome for CaCers. xD

Others have done it.

Taking damage on the bench in between turns would be evil.

Back