ORAS What Happened to the Games' Paper Manual?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The-Kaiser

Starfleet Captain and Pokemon Trainer
I noticed both my OR/AS games didn't come with one.

Is that normal now?

RE: What happened to the games Paper Manual?

Yes. Game manuals are all-digital now.

Saves paper. All games have built-in manuals, and pack pamphlets saying that a game manual is built-in.

In Pokemon's case, the manual cannot be accessed in-game but on the 3DS Home Menu.

This makes no sense after all these years not to have a paper manual. You should remember people that have a very hard time reading a digital manual have a much better aim at reading a paper manual. It does not save that much on paper. If you take 5-10 sheets of paper you can easily make a manual. That is only about $4.00 tops worth of paper guys. The ways that Nintendo does things now is very odd. They did not start this until they got their new president. He sure does not know how hard it is going to make it for a lot of people. Just because it is available on a digital device it does not make it right guys. Nintendo needs to shape up. Come on guys.:(

xxashxx said:
This makes no sense after all these years not to have a paper manual.
Time brings changes no matter if you like it.
xxashxx said:
You should remember people that have a very hard time reading a digital manual have a much better aim at reading a paper manual.
How can you read the video game then?
xxashxx said:
It does not save that much on paper. If you take 5-10 sheets of paper you can easily make a manual.
It saves a load of paper.
xxashxx said:
That is only about $4.00 tops worth of paper guys.
Less (per unit). That's "only" for you though?

xxashxx said:
The ways that Nintendo does things now is very odd. They did not start this until they got their new president. He sure does not know how hard it is going to make it for a lot of people. Just because it is available on a digital device it does not make it right guys. Nintendo needs to shape up. Come on guys.:(
Curse you new prez!!

The paper game manuals might cost US$.50 or so each (rough estimate). The most recent ORAS sales numbers that I've seen were 7.7 million units sold worldwide (as of early December). Assuming 50 cents per manual, that would be almost $4 million just for the manuals alone, not to mention all of the waste that would also be created. Not printing manuals is of course cheaper for Nintendo, but it's also much better for the environment. If you can read the text of a video game on your console, you can read the manual on the console as well.

Maybe it's just me, but how many people here actually need a manual for this? Most of us have been playing the Pokemon games for a while now, some of us even go back as far as R/B/Y, a playing manual is basically unneeded here.

Of course that being said I will admit it was odd to open the game up and find absolutely nothing on the inside left side of the box, it was like something important was missing even though I knew I didn't need it to play the game. I remember it like it was this morning really.

I still read game manuals when I buy games.

This was why I asked about it.

Teal said:
xxashxx said:
This makes no sense after all these years not to have a paper manual.
Time brings changes no matter if you like it.
xxashxx said:
You should remember people that have a very hard time reading a digital manual have a much better aim at reading a paper manual.
How can you read the video game then?
xxashxx said:
It does not save that much on paper. If you take 5-10 sheets of paper you can easily make a manual.
It saves a load of paper.
xxashxx said:
That is only about $4.00 tops worth of paper guys.
Less (per unit). That's "only" for you though?

xxashxx said:
The ways that Nintendo does things now is very odd. They did not start this until they got their new president. He sure does not know how hard it is going to make it for a lot of people. Just because it is available on a digital device it does not make it right guys. Nintendo needs to shape up. Come on guys.:(
Curse you new prez!!

It may save on paper but if your system dies you can't read it at all even if you were trying to figure something out while you were reading it for instance. You can't read it without playing your game. Before you did not need your game to read the instructions. You could read it on paper without stressing your eyes. You forget every time you look at a small screen for long periods of time it puts stress on your eyes and when you had a paper manual it does not stress your eyes. By doing this means putting more stress on your eyes than necessary. I would rather pay for paper and less stress on the eye than stress my eyes more to read a digital manual. People that have a hard time seeing will have more problems than with a paper manual. Really bad idea.:(

I never read game manuals anyway. I often opened the box, threw it to the side in excitement to just play the new game I just got, and learn as I play it. I never bothered with the manual, I think maybe once in gaming I used the manual for something like zoul caliber because of the rediculous button combinations but otherwise they were trash to me.

if your system dies you can't read it at all

Why would you need a manual to figure out how to use a dead system? You're either getting a new one or you're not, manual included paper or digital, and if you no longer have the game why would you need to learn how to play it?

Can anybody here teach me how to play mario bros? I don't have the game or a manual to figure out how to.

No not dead dead. I mean if the battery dies and you were in a tight spot and did not know how to operate a certain thing on a very new game that you did not know how to play yet. I have had this happen to me while I was reading how to operate a certain button that I did not know did that certain thing. While I was playing an old Game Boy game I did not know how to play it had a low battery and it died while I was reading my game manual.:(

While it saves paper and is a very welcomed measure on that, as a gamer I hate it. I always read the book because of intros to the story, background info and most of all, for artwork. I like the smell of a new bought game, the game cartridge, the manual, the game package and the excitement in it. Also unfortunately, the missing of manuals portrays how easy games are to the point of not letting us figure out a puzzle and giving more than needed clues.

At least, they should include a poster or something. :(

After reading that the New 3DS doesn't come with a charger and now this (despite not being exclusive to Nintendo), I wonder what's going on.

Wait what did you say about the new 3DS? No charger? Then how in the world do we charge the battery? What the heck s this? That is so not good. aNYHOW ON TOPIC ABOUT THE MANUALS. tHIS IS A BAD IDEA. wHAT IS GOING ON?:( Sorry for the caps guys.:)

You can just use your old charger or buy one separately. Also if your system dies then you don't need a paper manual because you can't play the game anyway.

xxashxx said:
Wait what did you say about the new 3DS? No charger? Then how in the world do we charge the battery? What the heck s this? That is so not good. aNYHOW ON TOPIC ABOUT THE MANUALS. tHIS IS A BAD IDEA. wHAT IS GOING ON?:( Sorry for the caps guys.:)

What I've said. It has been news around some gaming sites, namely eurogamer.pt. Nintendo's excuse is that they didn't want for the console's price to be higher due to the inclusion of the charger.

Leaf_Ranger said:
xxashxx said:

What I've said. It has been news around some gaming sites, namely eurogamer.pt. Nintendo's excuse is that they didn't want for the console's price to be higher due to the inclusion of the charger.

Instead buying the charger seperately will cost more than them bundled... kinda a lose-lose.

Yeah a charger runs around $15.00 U.S.D How is that cheaper unless you are planning on selling the systems for $120.00. In that case they will be around $135.00 That is not much savings once you add the taxes. Tax will run about $20.00 or so. It will only be $5.00 in savings. Whoohoo.Wow we saved $5.00. Wow we saved a lot. Weehee now we can by a gallon of milk or gas whooty doo. No it is not a great savings if any. Shape up Nintendo.:(

It is cheaper if you already own the same charger all DS products have been using since the DSi, including the 3DS and therefore have little to no need to buy another one.

The thing is. It is better to have a new one when you buy a news system and then it is covered by the warranty. By doing this it is no longer covered. You are not saving a whole lot of money XD.:)

xxashxx said:
The thing is. It is better to have a new one when you buy a news system and then it is covered by the warranty. By doing this it is no longer covered. You are not saving a whole lot of money XD.:)
No it's not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back