Ruling what does 'ex 'mean

dental

Aspiring Trainer
Hi
My son (7)  likes pokemon cards so I bought him a bunch. What I don't get is what the ex means it does increes the hp points....

I'm very curious and no one I asked knowes....

THanks,

mummy

guesses are EXtra  EXeptional

Theres been alot of debate on this...I think it means extra, but I've heard of exceptional, expensive, excellent, and alot more.

The ex is mainly for the fact of the opponent drawing 2 prize cards when they defeat it. Also, Safeguard pokemon and other pokemon/attacks/stadium/etc. helps to stop expokemon from attacking, etc. This is to usually stop it from being broken.

IMO ex stands for extra broken.(LBS)

dental said:
One may play them just as a normal card or are the excluded from the game ?
Here's a nice trick to knowing which cards are legal for play:
Check the back of the card. If it has the same backing as most of the other cards, and it is not japanese
(I'm not saying other language cards are not legal- they are- I'm just saying the Japanese cards have always used a different backing [they have two] )
then it is legal or was legal for modified at some point. As far as I can remember this works 100% of the time, except for maybe one or two very very rare exceptions that are pretty old anyway...and probably have the words 'not for play use' written on them.
So yes, ex cards are legal.

As for what they stand for- nothing officially. Any intended meaning hasn't really been known. Might be 'extra' or 'experience', but I think more likely it's just one of those things they do on Japanese products where they thrown in nonsenseical things to it that even they don't understand.

'ex' stands for experienced. So that's why you see cards like Flareon ex or Scizor ex. There called that because they are stronger or more useful than any most other versions of that card. That's why when it's destroyed, the opponent draws 2 prizes instead of 1. Because defeating that pokemon was a no easy match.

btw, as porygon above mentioned, ex cards are perfectly legal.

I'm 99% sure it stands for 'extra.' I believe this was clarified a long time ago.

I think it must be extra, but it could be experienced or extreme.
There was a thread on Pokegym about what 'ex' stood for somewhere from memory..

I think it's extra cause they are extra stronger, I might not be right.... But whatever it is, they're stronger...

I know how to find out what ex means!! Just right a letter to the Pokemon company ASKING THEM! It should be THAT EASY. Ithink it means extreme.

Back