Pokemon What do your friends and family think about Pokemon?

I had a similar goal back during fourth gen. I wanted to draw all 493, and I never even started. Maybe I'll get around to it eventually. It'll probably be during sixth gen, if at all, so it'll be... Over 700... Okay, I give up.

My family thinks it's immature whenever I buy one of the new games. I think they hoped I'd stop after I bought Platinum but since I've bought Soulsilver, Black which were both met with disapproval. Hence when I bought Black 2 I just kept it to myself. Having recently bought some booster packs for the first time in 7 years I kept it discrete and just enjoyed them buy myself.

Some of my friends keep up with the games and as such we can talk about it occasionally. Most of my friends know but don't care as they all have their odd little quirks as well :).

What do you guys do when a friend argues pokemon is immature or childish? Especially compared to Magic: The Gathering.

I don't really have close friends :p
But I don't know what my family thinks of it. Maybe as a way to escape stress or depression? They know I'm more of a lonely person so they don't mind I guess.
However MTG was not alright with them, believing that the cards were releasing demons in to me (yeah, they can be crazy). I think they see pokemon as a 'clean' alternative.

"When I became a man, I gave up childish things, including the fear of being childish." - C.S. Lewis

Just because something is childish, doesn't mean it's wrong to like it. Otherwise, it would be considered an abomination to watch cartoons (Even the adult ones.) Other people can say what they want, none of it matters. What matters is whether or not you are happy with your hobby.

Well my family is really supportive of me as they know how much I love it and how much it means to me. Just to give an example of how supportive they are my grandpa, nennu, mom and dad never object to take me. My nennu even drove me 12 hours to Virginia regionals and was like my biggest fan all day. It was a 14 hour day and he was there cheering me on every round and was always the most excited person when I would win my games. When I lost in top 4 he was more upset than me, because he saw how badly I wanted to win and he enjoys taking me. I am really grateful for my family and how supportive they are for me. On the other hand I am a closet Pokemon player. I am currently in grade 9, but in grade 8 everyone found out and I was made fun of the whole year by everyone. I just turned it into a joke and my best friend really didn't care. TBH your good friends won't give a s***, but usually if there is something to make fun of someone for it will happen. It was hard for me when I started, but I got over it. I don't need peoples opinions effecting my decisions and Pokemon is my favourite thing to do. Now I'm in grade 9 and nobody knows, but if people found out oh boy would life be over. Lets just say when you are in highschool Pokemon isn't the coolest thing Lol.

I only play Pokemon games not TCG, but my family never had anything
against it. The closest thing that happens is that my mom jokes how
I'm too old for this, but I don't care, cuz she jokes about everything I play.
When I play League of Legends, Call of Duty, horror games like Amnesia,
everything. XD

I have like 3-5 close friends and they know, but we don't mention it. A
friend of mine used to play Black with me and she enjoyed it. xD
Other just friends, as I'd say (we hang out but not that we would be together
ALL the time), some know, some don't and they don't care.
Then there's school and I didn't tell my school mates, nor I want to.
In primary we used to all joke bout Pokemon, but now in high school
I'm not telling. :)

I'm 24, my 18 year-old sister calls me a nerd and my mom thinks I'm childish... My close friends respect my likes and most of them also like pokemom

My family is pretty supportive of me, and as for my friends they know but they don't care or bring it up in conversation. Unfortunately they're not interested in playing :p

I haven't played in almost five years, but I always got a bunch of crap for it. A lot of people accepted it, but there were always those few people who would get on my nerves, like at school and home. It's actually why I became a serious athlete. I miss the game though.

Back