What deck is best used against gyrados?

Guangy

Aspiring Trainer
Hi everyone, I'm going to form another deck, for using against water pokemons, manly gyrados. any idea which deck should i form except luxchomp? thanks

Cursegar. Mr.Mime MT and Spiritomb AR will cause plenty of problems for Gyarados, messing with their recovery and not allowing them to attack. Shuppet PL can also work with Mr.Mime MT and Spiritomb AR if you don't want to go through all the trouble of getting the Gengars and stuff, remember to run Moonlight Stadium/Unown Q in either deck.

U could use a deck with lanturn prime, blastoise pl or ul and feraligatr prime. lanturn prime can change its type to thunder possibly knocking out gyrados

Honchkrow SV and the standard Cursegar list should do the trick. Locking trainers from Gyrados and bringing Magikarp from the discard are your best bets.

Devoluter > Gyrados. My GF runs Gyrados and I take her out with that Technical Machine TS-2 from LA set. Her active goes from really high HP to 30 HP.

Virde said:
Devoluter > Gyrados. My GF runs Gyrados and I take her out with that Technical Machine TS-2 from LA set. Her active goes from really high HP to 30 HP.

Yeah and then she just evolves it next turn lol. Also anything with Honchkrow is not a good idea unless the ONLY thing you want to do is beat Gyarados. Honchkrow makes your deck worse vs anything else, and if the only thing you want to do is bring back a Magikarp and then get a cheap prize with SF Gengar, you're playing it wrong. If you manage to get a Magikarp out of my discard pile, don't be dumb and put it back in for me...

Gengar is ok but once people realize they should be using Cyclone and Luxray instead of Warp Point and Regice, you will have trouble. Also I use Skuntank G which pretty much singlehandedly makes any deck with SF Gengar a lot easier to handle

Use Jumpluff imo. If you know how to use it vs Gyarados you pretty much have complete control over the pace of the game and you put a ton of pressure on Gyarados to get 3 Magikarp in the discard pile early which they normally don't need to do. I can go more in depth about how Jumpluff beats Gyarados but I don't want to post a big wall of text here if it isn't needed

I think what the guy meant when he was talking about Devoluter was that you devolute him when he has 30 damage on him already (although that isn't the best counter IMO).

Decks besides Luxchomp that I've seen perform decently against Gyarados are Luxpluff, Cursegar, Dialga/Garchomp, etc. Those are probably the best.

dmaster out.

I just thought of this, but you could run Honchkrow in a Jumpluff deck. 1 more pokemon in play for Mass Attack, and Tail revenge now does only 60 damage.

Pencil said:
I just thought of this, but you could run Honchkrow in a Jumpluff deck. 1 more pokemon in play for Mass Attack, and Tail revenge now does only 60 damage.
Thats actually a really good idea, only gyarados isn't popular in my meta. BTW, you can make tail revenge do 0 if you use that power multiple times. You just need to run some extra warp point so you can retreat, you the power, and warp back to Jumpluff. Good thinking, I might have to steal it if I see Gyara at BRs.

I run Luxchomp and have been running Honchcrow for a little while, from a friends guidance, I finally understood why it is so good. Honchcrow is an awesome tech. Gets rid of Cursegar (weakness anybody?), It will destroy tail revenge on Gyarados. Also gives you the opportunity then to either stall (You will have most likely taken more prizes), give you 30 HP snipe bait etc. Finally it eradicates mewtwo in your SP deck. Riot works nicely.

Also, because there is a murkrow which allows immediate evolution, you can set up a honchcrow in a turn. Just attach darkness energy, Galactic switch DCE and you have a charged honchcrow.

kwisdumb said:
Anything that can...

- Outspeed it
- Lock trainers
- Disrupt hands

Only the first one of these is reliable against Gyarados. Trainer locking usually does nothing unless you have already killed a Gyarados and they haven't gotten a Combee in hand or a Collector/etc to get it.

Disruption doesn't work either unless you get it on like the first turn, after that I have probably used Felicity's already and gotten 2 Magikarp in the discard. At that point I really don't care how many cards are in my hand, I've got most of my setup done. And unless your disruption is Looker's, you also have to shuffle your own hand which could mess you up just as much. Unless you have a Claydol out I guess

Honchkrow I still say is useless against pretty much everything besides Gyarados. Ok, it beats Gengar too, but I wouldn't say Gengar is that great of a deck either. It's a big waste of space, especially if you're the above guy also putting a dark energy in the deck too.

Also don't even mention the fact that Magikarp is "30 HP snipe bait". I really hope you're not seriously planning to put my Magikarp back in the discard pile after you went through so much effort to get it out to lower my Gyarados's damage. You can take that prize, I'll be taking more now that I have the 3rd Magikarp back in the discard.

Also gives you the opportunity then to either stall

I don't know which definition of stall you're talking about but if you mean purposely playing slow to take time off the clock that should not be mentioned as a way to beat anything.

Decks besides Luxchomp that I've seen perform decently against Gyarados are Luxpluff, Cursegar, Dialga/Garchomp, etc. Those are probably the best.

Luxchomp only reliably wins if:
1. I can't get Lucario GL off the field, OR
2. You Bright Look/Dragon Rush for 6 cheap prizes and for whatever reason I can't kill your Luxrays and Garchomps fast enough.

I'm not saying Luxchomp will autolose if it can't get one of those done but overall I'd say the matchup is a little in Gyarados's favor or about even at worst.

Cursegar can be annoying but I personally use Skuntank G, which literally gives me a favorable matchup against any Gengar deck with SF Gengar (most Cursegar use 1). Expert Belt gives AR Gengar a lot of trouble since he can no longer 2HKO me with Shadow Skip without help. Plus Gengar is super slow and I'll probably have gotten at least 1 prize by the time you get your first AR Gengar going.

Jumpluff I agree is good vs Gyarados, and I haven't tested against Dialga/Chomp but I assume Dialga would be annoying because of the Trainer AND Stadium lock, which would stop me from even getting Gyarados out.

^ WOW, someone is a Gyarados fan and a half. You honestly cant tell me that you Gyarados has better odds winning against Luxchomp. You also believe that Gyarados > Gengar ._.

Firstly, gengar is a great deck. It wouldnt be tier one if it couldnt accomplish anything in the format.

Also, you would usually get about 2 magikarps out. If sniping that magikarp gets you a vital prize, why not?

Also on that 'stall' idea. That is a low blow and taken completely out of context. I meant play your turns normally since Gyarados will deal 0-30 mostly, you can relax and wait for time to be called.

TDA said:
Dialgachomp,period.

Are you kidding me? I beat the heck out of DialgaChomp in Regionals with Gyarados. Set 2 Gyarados up, you attack with 60, they waste all their heal. Then they kill your Gyarados and keep doing 90 and they wasted all of their heal.

Against Gyarados? I think anything that involves Honchkrow SV.

gengar is not a tier 1 deck. at all. i'd suggest only playing it if you're in seniors/juniors or REALLY like losing the sp matchup...

gyarados isn't that great of a deck anymore either, mostly because of the problems it has with good jumpluff lists. i tested all sorts of honchkrow decks extensively, and none of them are good enough all around to be worth playing (though a couple of them do break gyarados' shins pretty handily). honch in jumpluff is a total joke, just like any other non-basic tech that people suggest for the deck.

Back