Weird Things Your Parents Say or Do

98Greener

tree noises
This might get totally ignored since Sun/Moon hype but this has been in my mind all week.

My parents are weird. They're not total old school dudes, but they still have some odd quirks about them. For one, my mom calls anime "japanimation" instead. She also doesn't like it, so she calls it "crapanimation" as well. My dad also says weird phrases he made up himself, like "sheeko-raja" and "plus eleven." It's so totally weird, that I've sort of just learned not to question it.

What weird things do your parents say or do?

Skyleaf2000

Resident UB Enthusiast
I have that kind of dad... you know, the kind that randomly bursts into songs that he made up on the spot about minor things that occur. Like "chopping tomatoooooooes~ And just as the wind bloooooooooooows~ I'm gonna pinch your noooooooooooooooose~"
-.- My dad.

Pride

May I kill him?
This might get totally ignored since Sun/Moon hype but this has been in my mind all week.

My parents are weird. They're not total old school dudes, but they still have some odd quirks about them. For one, my mom calls anime "japanimation" instead. She also doesn't like it, so she calls it "crapanimation" as well. My dad also says weird phrases he made up himself, like "sheeko-raja" and "plus eleven." It's so totally weird, that I've sort of just learned not to question it.

Plus eleven or up to eleven? Up to eleven comes from a mockumentary film, This is Spinal Tap, but plus eleven... I dont know and I'm old. Japanimation was the term more commonly used anime for a good while. Aka your parents are old, just like you'll have phrases you'll keep when you're older and the younger crowd will give you strange looks =o

SkyeVictini

Seriously, calm down.
I really wish I could wipe out the words "monkey" and "vegitate" from my dad's vocabulary.

Also, my mom is pretty much a Facebook stalker. This is why I'm afraid to mention friends or acquaintances because she'll immediately want to look them up on Facebook.

Otaku

The wise fool?

Everyone has odd quirks about them. Maybe this thread would be better if we don't make this implicitly negative? Not saying you can't vent if you want, but some of us might have some fun things to share. Realize that you (and I!) already have odd quirks like this, you just don't know it because either everyone around you has accepted them, or if they are more generational it won't be obvious until you realize you're not the true baseline. ;)

So for something odd that I picked up, while working on a skit with someone back in the late 90s, we were having some issues with both memorization and delivery. Horribly tripping over a word one of us stated "flobobo". Flobobo (\ˈflō-ˌbō-ˌbō\) is gibberish (though apparently someone else popularized it as such in the 2000s). For us, it became a useful tool for practicing our lines, as one person would perform their role using it, so that the other had to not only deliver his or her lines just based on the pacing within the script and while properly emoting regardless of how silly the other person sounded.

I'd share some examples from my own dad but it won't suit the tone of this thread. ^^'

Jinjer

Aspiring Trainer
my dad has this weird dance that he does and it drives my mom nuts
meanwhile my mom can have a bit of trouble hearing words spoken to her, but she will hear the slightest rustlings in the yard at night

ZygardeChronicles

PMD5 when
My mom would always swear when I was little so whenever I swore she promised she wouldn't swear then go on and swear. Also, one time my dad convinced me I could fly if I jumped on the trampoline enough then one day proceeded to throw me into our pool. He repeated this next on the April Fool's Day.

Jiggling Jigglypuff

Aspiring Trainer
OMG there is way too much to fit in just this space. One thing is my parents refer to me and my big sister as Spawn #1(My Big Sister) and Spawn #2(Me). That may not seem to bad, but they refer to us like that in conversation with just about everyone they talk with. :)

King Arceus

Aspiring Trainer
Elite Member
Advanced Member
Something I've always thought was weird was when a parent says to their child "Do you want [insert some punishment here]?" when the child is doing something against the rules. I never really understood the point of it because the child is going to say no. I think it'd be more effective to just say "Stop doing that or [some punishment will happen]".

GrandPanacea

Thread Necromancer
Advanced Member
My Mom has a quirk that she got from her dad, and one that I will likely do to my children, should I have any, is whenever I ask to borrow some money for food, a movie, whatever, my mom will go "Sure, just let me go knock over a liquor store first." Another one she got from Grampie is when asked about a date for something (ex: "When are we goin' to the theatre?") she'll respond with "Second Tuesday of Next Week!"

My Grampie had a good one, where whenever you were lookin' for somethin' (with me it was usually a game/handheld/cards), if you asked him, he'd ask in response "Does your bum hurt?" and if you responded with "No? Why?" he'd say "Well, then you're not sittin' on it!" and then laugh. He also always messed up knock knock jokes by sayin' "Come in!" instead of "Who's there?"

My Grammie, a very kind and caring woman, would often respond to "My X hurts" with "It'll feel better when it stops hurting!" which, in retrospect, is a good way to get someone to laugh, thus distracting them from their pain. She also insisted that a teaspoon of sugar was the cure for hiccups.