• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Weakness Toolbox

21times

Aspiring Trainer
Hey there Beach Bums,

I'm working on an idea for a "Weakness Toolbox" deck. The idea is to have a variety of different pokemon and use whatever pokemon my opponent is weak to. In theory, this sounds like a great idea but so far I'm not having any luck. Let me know what suggestions you guys have. I'm especially looking to add a fire pokemon to the list as well so I can have something that all these grass decks will be weak to.

Weakness Toolbox

##Pokémon - 18

* 4 Passimian SUM 73
* 4 Combee AOR 9
* 4 Vespiquen AOR 10
* 1 Blitzle BKP 48
* 1 Zebstrika BKP 49
* 2 Mewtwo EVO 51
* 2 Mantine STS 27

##Trainer Cards - 32

* 3 Professor Sycamore STS 114
* 4 Trainers' Mail ROS 92
* 4 Lillie SUM 147
* 1 Special Charge STS 105
* 1 Professor Sycamore BKP 107
* 4 Ultra Ball SUM 135
* 1 Energy Retrieval SUM 116
* 4 Level Ball AOR 76
* 4 VS Seeker ROS 110
* 1 Lysandre FLF 104
* 4 Nest Ball SUM 123
* 1 Town Map BKT 150

##Energy - 10

* 6 Water Energy 3
* 4 Double Colorless Energy EVO 90
Total Cards - 60

I'd suggest considering a strong, hard-hitting Stage 1 Pokémon (e.g., Vespiquen or Yanmega) and support that that line with the AOR Eeveelutions (Flareon, Jolteon, and Vaporeon) that can change other Stage 1 Pokémon's Type to Fire, Lightning and Water respectively. Given the Eevees in this this structure, you could also add the new Espeon GX and the Umbreon GX too as techs to cover other Weaknesses too.

Passimian has counter-synergy with Vespiquen, I see this a lot on PTCGO but it's actually a very bad combo, Passimian wants pokemon on the bench while Vespi wants them in discard. While you could argue that you just don't use them in the same game, there's a difference between a small tech of 1-2 cards for a matchup and a full 4-4 line that you just don't use in some games. While you're shooting to theoretically have a good matchup in any game, I think in practice you'll end up struggling to get the right pokemon when you need them. Your pokemon count in general is too low to make good use of Vespiquen imo, most Vespiquen decks are in the 26-30 pokemon range.

Yanmega/Eevees is a pretty good weakness abuse concept. I've also teched them into a Lurantis/Vileplume deck to make the Volcanion matchup remotely possible to win, though in the end I ended up removing them because I got too pissed off at getting Eevee only starts. But if you run Umbreon/Espeon an Eevee only start isn't a bad thing.

Honestly, I think the Eevee line is the best solution for this. 2-3 line with 1 each of Flareon, Jolteon, and Aquarion. They are searchable via level ball as well and they play nice with Vespiquen. I know that is super unique advice BAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHA, but I think it will achieve what you are gunning for with this deck and I think you can make it happen by ditching the Zebstrika / Mantine cards + 1 more.

If I had to guess with what you are gunning for though, I would guess it is something that doesn't require an ability to hit for weakness if at all possible or can be used by the Mew EX. And yeah, this doesn't help that LOL!

Kietharr, I agree Vespiquen and Passimian do not have good synergy. The problem is that there aren't a whole lot of good fighting pokemon out there right now. Darkrai, Tauros, and Oranguru are the three most common pokemon I've seen so far this month, and they're all weak to fighting. I'm just trying to get a deck that merges fighting, psychic (M Mewtwo), fire (Lurantis and Decidueye), grass (Water Toolbox), and maybe even water (Volcanion) pokemon together to make the ultimate tool box deck.

The Eevees may end up being the best way to go. Maybe put them in with Mewtwo EVO and Passimian.

Kietharr, I agree Vespiquen and Passimian do not have good synergy. The problem is that there aren't a whole lot of good fighting pokemon out there right now. Darkrai, Tauros, and Oranguru are the three most common pokemon I've seen so far this month, and they're all weak to fighting. I'm just trying to get a deck that merges fighting, psychic (M Mewtwo), fire (Lurantis and Decidueye), grass (Water Toolbox), and maybe even water (Volcanion) pokemon together to make the ultimate tool box deck.

The Eevees may end up being the best way to go. Maybe put them in with Mewtwo EVO and Passimian.

You definitely need a stage one attacker if you end up going that route. Maybe go off the beaten path and use Zoroark instead of Vespiquen? Probably a bad idea, but I am brainstorming here lol!

I don't really understand the purpose of Mantine. If you are trying to hit many things for weakness, you might as well play Vespiquen/Zoroark/Eevees. As mentioned above, the Ancient Origins Eeveelutions are capable of making Vespiquen, Zoroark, Zebstrika, etc. your Water attacker without forcing you to play the Water Energy. Plus, Mantine's 90- isn't very good...

Mantine might get plucked for Lapras gx. It's 90 is actually 180 against Volcanion. Plus its 1 energy attack allows me to discard pokemon from my hand. It's good vespiquen fuel, I've used it in a vespiquen regice glaceon deck I used to run. But Lapras gx is probably the better choice, I was just trying to keep this all non ex or gx pokemon.

Last edited:
Back