• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Wailord Stall for UK Nationals

ambo

Aspiring Trainer
Here is my decklist for my Wailord Stall deck I will be running for UK Nationals in a week. Any comments would be much appreciated!

Pokemon:
  • 4 Wailord EX
  • 1 Aegislash EX
Trainers:
  • 4 AZ
  • 4 Team Flare Grunt
  • 1 Hex Maniac
  • 3 Skyla
  • 1 Delinquent
  • 1 Lysandre
  • 2 Pokemon Fan Club
  • 2 Xerosic
  • 2 Cassius
  • 2 Rough Seas
  • 2 Parallel City
  • 4 Max Potion
  • 4 Puzzle of Time
  • 1 Lucky Helmet
  • 2 Fighting Fury Belt
  • 1 Assault Vest
  • 1 Town Map
  • 1 Trick Shovel
  • 3 Crushing Hammer
  • 2 Weakness Policy
  • 3 Robo Substitute
  • 2 Roller Skates
  • 2 Enhanced Hammer
  • 4 VS Seeker
  • 1 Red Card
Strategy:

The main point of the deck is to either exhaust your opponent out of energy, deck them out, or get them frustrated enough that they just concede. The main element of the deck is suprise. Nobody will really be expecting to see this type of deck; it was runner up in US Nationals last year, but people kinda forgot about it.

Aegislash EX is in here for the Vespiquen/Vileplume matchup (which Wailord is weak to) especially ones that don't run any Hex Maniac or any VS Seeker.

Weakness policy is also in here for Wailord's worst matchup: Vespiquen, just to make the game a bit fairer.

Max Potion, AZ and Cassius are necessary to keep Wailords alive and to completely deny your opponent of prize cards.

Roller Skates and Lucky Helmet are to help draw healing cards and resources against extremely fast decks that you just can't keep up with.

Puzzle of Time is to recycle hammers and healing resources and is just overall brilliant.

The rest should be quite self explanatory, as I say, any replies are a help and are appreciated, thanks!

smashandslash2

Aspiring Trainer
Here is my decklist for my Wailord Stall deck I will be running for UK Nationals in a week. Any comments would be much appreciated!

Pokemon:
  • 4 Wailord EX
  • 1 Aegislash EX

Trainers:
  • 4 AZ
  • 4 Team Flare Grunt
  • 1 Hex Maniac
  • 3 Skyla
  • 1 Delinquent
  • 1 Lysandre
  • 2 Pokemon Fan Club
  • 2 Xerosic
  • 2 Cassius
  • 2 Rough Seas
  • 2 Parallel City
  • 4 Max Potion
  • 4 Puzzle of Time
  • 1 Lucky Helmet
  • 2 Fighting Fury Belt
  • 1 Assault Vest
  • 1 Town Map
  • 1 Trick Shovel
  • 3 Crushing Hammer
  • 2 Weakness Policy
  • 3 Robo Substitute
  • 2 Roller Skates
  • 2 Enhanced Hammer
  • 4 VS Seeker
  • 1 Red Card

The main point of the deck is to either exhaust your opponent out of energy, deck them out, or get them frustrated enough that they just concede. The main element of the deck is suprise. Nobody will really be expecting to see this type of deck; it was runner up in US Nationals last year, but people kinda forgot about it.

Aegislash EX is in here for the Vespiquen/Vileplume matchup (which Wailord is weak to) especially ones that don't run any Hex Maniac or any VS Seeker.

Weakness policy is also in here for Wailord's worst matchup: Vespiquen, just to make the game a bit fairer.

Max Potion, AZ and Cassius are necessary to keep Wailords alive and to completely deny your opponent of prize cards.

Roller Skates and Lucky Helmet are to help draw healing cards and resources against extremely fast decks that you just can't keep up with.

Puzzle of Time is to recycle hammers and healing resources and is just overall brilliant.

The rest should be quite self explanatory, as I say, any replies are a help and are appreciated, thanks!
Run something like this.
Pokemon:
  • 4 Wailord EX
  • 1 Aegislash EX
  • 1 Durant FLF
  • 1 Bunnelby - PCL 121
  • 1 Lugia EX - AOR
Trainers:
  • 4 AZ
  • 4 Team Flare Grunt
  • 1 Hex Maniac
  • 3 Skyla
  • 1 Delinquent
  • 2 Lysandre
  • 4 Pokemon Fan Club
  • 1 Xerosic
  • 4 Cassius
  • 4 Rough Seas
  • 4 Max Potion
  • 4 Puzzle of Time
  • 2 Fighting Fury Belt
  • 1 Assault Vest
  • 2 Enhanced Hammer
  • 4 VS Seeker
  • 4 Professor Birch's Observations
Energy:

2 DCE

P3DS

UK VGC Regs Champ 2015
Really interesting deck. Hope you do well. I'll be there too, but on the VGC side

D-Babs

Aspiring Trainer
I too like the versions that play Bunnelby and Durant (I personally also play Lugia EX, a second Aegislash EX and a Giratina EX for megas). The roller skates probably aren't as effective since it comes down to a coin flip and it's an item. Also I prefer Shauna to Birch but because it is a consistent 5-card draw which is good when it comes to avoiding deck-out.

I don't see the usefulness of town map if you can't take prizes since you can find out what prized the first time you search your deck. And I like hard charm over assault vest just because it is more multipurpose but I'm sure there is good use for either.

I have been having a lot of fun with this type of stall deck lately so good luck with testing and good luck at Nationals!

vegasaur

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
You will definitely want 4 Cassius just to stay ahead in the mill war incase someone decides not to attack. Then an extra Fan Club or two to be able to get those back out. I love Wailord decks though and I hope it works out for you.

TuxedoBlack

Old School Player
@ambo I've played against this type of deck a few times and I'm interested in knowing how well you did playing your deck at the recent UK National tournament. Thanks.

PokeDad5

Aspiring Trainer
I didnt see wailord in the top 8, so I'm guessing not as well as he/she had hoped. I dont see wailord fitting into this meta right now. The problem is you're not going to get enough wins with it to push you forward. Granted you wont lose a lot with this DL, but you also aren't going to win. You can't get into the TOP 16 or TOP 8 with 7-8 draws. Sadly that's what a DL like this will get you, maybe a win or 2 early, then draws and losses later on.

judekevinchu

Aspiring Trainer
I too like the versions that play Bunnelby and Durant (I personally also play Lugia EX, a second Aegislash EX and a Giratina EX for megas). The roller skates probably aren't as effective since it comes down to a coin flip and it's an item. Also I prefer Shauna to Birch but because it is a consistent 5-card draw which is good when it comes to avoiding deck-out.

I don't see the usefulness of town map if you can't take prizes since you can find out what prized the first time you search your deck. And I like hard charm over assault vest just because it is more multipurpose but I'm sure there is good use for either.

I have been having a lot of fun with this type of stall deck lately so good luck with testing and good luck at Nationals!

may i know your personal build? thanks

ambo

Aspiring Trainer
Hello everyone! @TuxedoBlack @WastedSkyPirate

This was the list I played for UK Nationals a few days ago.
Pokemon:
  • 4 Wailord EX
  • 1 Aegislash EX
  • 1 Bunnelby PRC
  • 1 Durant FLF
  • 1 Wobbuffet PHF

Trainers:
  • 4 AZ
  • 3 Team Flare Grunt
  • 1 Hex Maniac
  • 3 Skyla
  • 1 Delinquent
  • 1 Lysandre
  • 3 Pokemon Fan Club
  • 2 Xerosic
  • 2 Cassius
  • 1 Rough Seas
  • 2 Parallel City
  • 4 Max Potion
  • 4 Puzzle of Time
  • 2 Fighting Fury Belt
  • 1 Trick Shovel
  • 2 Crushing Hammer
  • 2 Weakness Policy
  • 3 Robo Substitute
  • 2 Roller Skates
  • 2 Enhanced Hammer
  • 4 VS Seeker
  • 1 Red Card
Energy:
  • 2 Metal Energy
Unfortunately I didn't do too well at all only achieving a record of 2 Wins, 0 Draws and 4 Losses. There are a few changes I would make to the deck after testing it at Nationals.

Take out the Wobbuffet

I was recommended to tech this in against Greninja BREAK and Ability Heavy decks. However I only faced Greninja once and it didn't really help at all and came in quite useless in every other match.

Hard Charm over Fighting Fury Belt

As far as I know, there is only about one or two ways to OHKO a Wailord, it is relatively difficult to 2HKO and everything below 2HKO benefits more from Hard Charm than Fighting Fury Belt.

Higher Count of Enhanced Hammer

There were so many matches that I really needed to get Enhanced Hammer at that moment and I either had none left or one of them was prized. I would up it to three or maybe even four.

Matches

Round 1

On Round One I played Latios/Bats, an autowin for me. He just couldn't get enough damage output and I would exhaust him from his DDE and he couldn't attack anymore. Very easy match.

1/0/0

Round 2

Round two I played the infamous Night March which is quite an even matchup as I have Aegislash etc. However, they Hex'd around my Slashes and I just couldn't get my healing cards out.

1/1/0

Round 3

Round three I played another autowin: Trevenant BREAK. I won quite quickly as they could never get any energy out and the Item Lock wasn't too bad for me. Also they couldn't get enough damage on the board.

2/1/0

Round 4

Here's where my downfall started. I played the uncommon Mega Mewtwo. Probably my worst matchup as they can recycle energy and they can OHKO my Wailords. Easy win for them.

2/2/0

Round 5

For the penultimate round I played Vespiquen & Friends. This isn't exactly my best matchup either. They had bunnelby to recycle their cards and powered up their Vespiquens with basic energy to get around my Slash. Close match but they got away with it.

2/3/0

Round 6

By now, all the seniors knew that the guy with the Mario Playmat was playing Wailord(me). So when this Greninja BREAK player saw my fresh af playmat, he wasn't too excited. However, I never thought a game with Wailord could be so exciting. The first game was slow but I managed quite easily to overpower him. After this, though, being a very good player, he quickly devised a strategy while shuffling to try and outsmart me. This plan was to just take it slow and get as many resources as possible. He managed to beat me twice in a row after this because of my lack of energy denial and not being able to draw into healing cards.

Overall:

I really enjoyed Nats 2016 and can't wait for next year and the experience was like no other. I hope you enjoyed reading Beachers!

Thanks!

Xan

Aspiring Trainer
what happen in round 7 & 8? and out of the 192 where did you place in the end?

I came 74th I was playing Trevenant BREAK and I had a Yugioh playmat

PokeDad5

Aspiring Trainer
I take back my comment. Playing this DL in seniors I can see this working well, same with Jr's.