Discussion Wacky Stage 2s

TorchHG

Aspiring Trainer
As we saw Gardevoir / Solgaleo / Swampert win Roanoke, a deck with 3 Stage 2 lines, what kinds of other Stage 2 decks are people looking at?

I’ve definitely had my sights set on Double Solgaleo / Magnezone for a little bit.

JumpluffTCG

Aspiring Trainer
The other day I played fatkid123 (Tord?) on the ladder using 5 stage 2s (Decidueye/Gardevoir/Swampert/Solgaleo/Meganium + Alolan Ninetales). I thought that was weird but then a few games later I played some other person using the exact same deck. This person didn't hide their deck, so I copied it onto my account real quick so the Pokemon and energy counts were as follows:

3-3 Decidueye GX
1-1 Gardevoir GX
1-1 Solgaleo GX
2-2 Swampert
2-2 Meganium
3-2 Alolan Ninetales GX
2 Tapu Lele GX

1 Super Boost
3 Double Colorless
1 Rainbow
2 basic Fairy

As far as I can tell, it's a Decidueye/Ninetales deck with splashed-in stage 2 lines of Gardevoir and Solgaleo with the help of Meganium. I guess the Gardevoir allows you to have a really strong sweeper that you can sprout into play whenever the time is right since Meganium allows you to bench a Ralts and evolve into a Gardevoir on the same turn. Solgaleo is just good to have to eliminate weaknesses and provide energy acceleration, though you only run 7 total energies so I don't know how relevant that part is.

Can't tell if this is just a meme or for reals, but I went 1-1 against it. :confused:

Shikageru

Aspiring Trainer
What in the ever living.....oh gods. Okay, time to test. What kind of trainer lineup was in there, Jump? I would expect the full lineup of the usual stuff, but space is so tight with that many Pokemon. It certainly had to be a wonky test of something, I'd bet.

Kontoleon

Aspiring Trainer
Meganium is really OP from me! Saids You can evelve it IMIDIATLY from basics! So now Stage 2 Pokemon was better than Stage 1!
1) Swampert was maybe Stronger than Zoroark now!(trade from 3 you can play basically IMIDIATLY in play)
2)Other Meganium! Because why not!
3) NindoKing can set up easy with NidoQueen too!
4) super Boost energy was really strong
5) Ability lock from really playable mow
6) Charizard can Hit 180 basic damage! (i mean charmader BOOM charisard Active effect BOOM K.O GX!) No need to search from energy No warry from Guzma, And if survived (not hit 110 next turn) BOOM 180 again hit 180? no problem Acerola rethreat BOOM 180 again!(or even worst If you Set up 2 Meganium (Is easy) You can Set up 2 Charizard in one turn! readdy to kill ALMOST ALL STAGE 1 GX with just a Tool!
7)Dragonait! (At least in NidoKing- NidoQeen Deck
8)Greninja GX (And was loop combo!)

9) Why to evolve Stage 2 with Rare candy AND NOT evolve this one, if you can IMIDIATLY evolve all stage 2 anyway?
You just lose one beanch space to gain super speed! from rest of the game If the effect was You Can't use this in the first turn or the turn you put in play was ok)

I have see now 6 STAGE 2 pokemon in play ! And allmost all the time 5!
Just need some balls(One rare candy to set up Megamiun and later (if you can Afraid a beanch space imidiatly 2nd) and from rest game you play STAGE2 faster and easier than STAGE 1! So with Just 2 Megamium(One really) You can set up ALL Attackers in ONE turn because you can!

Last edited:

snoopy369

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
The other day I played fatkid123 (Tord?) on the ladder using 5 stage 2s (Decidueye/Gardevoir/Swampert/Solgaleo/Meganium + Alolan Ninetales). I thought that was weird but then a few games later I played some other person using the exact same deck. This person didn't hide their deck, so I copied it onto my account real quick so the Pokemon and energy counts were as follows:

3-3 Decidueye GX
1-1 Gardevoir GX
1-1 Solgaleo GX
2-2 Swampert
2-2 Meganium
3-2 Alolan Ninetales GX
2 Tapu Lele GX

1 Super Boost
3 Double Colorless
1 Rainbow
2 basic Fairy

As far as I can tell, it's a Decidueye/Ninetales deck with splashed-in stage 2 lines of Gardevoir and Solgaleo with the help of Meganium. I guess the Gardevoir allows you to have a really strong sweeper that you can sprout into play whenever the time is right since Meganium allows you to bench a Ralts and evolve into a Gardevoir on the same turn. Solgaleo is just good to have to eliminate weaknesses and provide energy acceleration, though you only run 7 total energies so I don't know how relevant that part is.

Can't tell if this is just a meme or for reals, but I went 1-1 against it. :confused:

25 pokemon ... this deck has to brick constantly, especially if the meganium doesn't show up early on. You've got three outs in your starting hand - Chikorita AND Meganium, Tapu Lele, or Alolan Vulpix; anything else and you're probably going to just sit there for turn after turn.

JumpluffTCG

Aspiring Trainer
25 pokemon ... this deck has to brick constantly, especially if the meganium doesn't show up early on. You've got three outs in your starting hand - Chikorita AND Meganium, Tapu Lele, or Alolan Vulpix; anything else and you're probably going to just sit there for turn after turn.
I mean the current viral sensation in the PTCG community is Shintaro's Meganium/Swampert/Greninja/Slaking deck right? And that deck runs 1 energy. What ends up happening is you establish multiple Swamperts (with Meganium's help) early to build your hand to some insane size, then you just go ham with these stage 2s that are too big to knock out. Yeah I agree it's super clunky or slow at first, but stage 2s are currently the best they've ever been. Granted I've been too busy (nor do I have a copy of Solgaleo GX) to try this madness out, but here's the full list to give it a whirl if you have the cards, and I really want to hear what you think of it if you end up playing a few games:

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 25

* 1 Ralts BUS 91
* 2 Alolan Ninetales-GX LOT 132
* 1 Gardevoir-GX BUS 93
* 2 Chikorita LOT 5
* 3 Rowlet SUM 9
* 3 Decidueye-GX SUM 12
* 2 Meganium LOT 8
* 1 Solgaleo-GX PR-SM SM104
* 1 Cosmog SUM 64
* 2 Tapu Lele-GX GRI 60
* 3 Alolan Vulpix GRI 21
* 2 Mudkip CES 32
* 2 Swampert CES 35

##Trainer Cards - 28

* 1 Rescue Stretcher GRI 130
* 2 Acerola BUS 112
* 2 Brooklet Hill GRI 120
* 3 Timer Ball SUM 134
* 4 Rare Candy CES 142
* 1 Counter Gain LOT 170
* 2 Guzma BUS 115
* 4 Ultra Ball SUM 135
* 4 Professor Elm’s Lecture LOT 188
* 4 Cynthia UPR 119
* 1 Max Potion GRI 128

##Energy - 7

* 2 Fairy Energy 9
* 3 Double Colorless Energy EVO 90
* 1 Rainbow Energy BKT 152
* 1 Super Boost Energy {*} UPR 136

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******