• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Volcanion/Turtonator

Hey guys! This is my Volcanion deck for the new standard. It runs very consistently and wins most games! It is kind of a standard list, but I added a few things by preference. Here is the list :)

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 13

* 1 Ho-Oh-GX BUS 21
* 1 Turtonator-GX GRI 18
* 3 Volcanion STS 25
* 2 Tapu Lele-GX GRI 60
* 1 Staryu BKP 25
* 1 Starmie EVO 31
* 4 Volcanion-EX STS 26

##Trainer Cards - 33

* 3 Brooklet Hill GRI 120
* 1 Rescue Stretcher GRI 130
* 1 Acerola BUS 112
* 4 Professor Sycamore BKP 107
* 3 Guzma BUS 115
* 2 Field Blower GRI 125
* 2 Max Elixir BKP 102
* 2 Fighting Fury Belt BKP 99
* 2 Switch ROS 91
* 1 Kiawe BUS 116
* 3 N FAC 105
* 1 Skyla BKT 148
* 1 Choice Band GRI 121
* 2 Float Stone BKT 137
* 4 Ultra Ball FAC 113
* 1 Wicke BUS 127

##Energy - 14

* 14 Fire Energy Energy 2

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

Now on to explain my card choices:

1 Ho-Oh GX VS. 2nd Turt: Ho-Oh GX is such a great card. It helps balance out weakness, and can OHKO on the second turn. Considering second, but most likely will not add.

2 Tapu Lele GX: I opted for only 2 of it, as bench space is valuable in this deck. Most games I either use one or none. (Only if I start with a Ho-Oh GX or Turt GX, will I use Tapu Lele for Kiawe.)

1 Acerola: This is mostly preference. Most of the time I will use this to pick up a 'Mon with damage so I can get energy for Steam Up.

2 Max Elixir: Not four because of Garbodor. This is used to power up our attackers very quickly.

2 Fighting Fury Belt over Choice Band: After much testing, Ive realized that FFB is much better than Choice Band. You still need the same number of Steam Ups to OHKO Gardevoir GX, and the extra HP helps a lot.

2 Switch: Every thing in our deck has heavy Retreat. Also a way to reuse Phoenix Burn after a Guzma.

Only 1 Kiawe: Volcanion shouldn't be focused on getting the T1 Kiawe. I only run one for the times that I can get a Ho-Oh or a Turt start. Never use this on a Volcanion-EX!

1 Skyla: Another preference card but man I love Skyla! It always works out and I run at least 1-2 copies in all of my decks. Garbotoxin is active? Skyla for Field Blower! Need that last Steam up? Skyla for Brooklet Hill! Need a way to move out of the active? Skyla for Switch!

1 Choice Band: If we need extra damage, which will be rarely but its nice to have.

1 Wicke over the 4th N: Another preference card. Many games my opponent has a low hand or no hand. this is great if I need shuffle draw. Decent card in other situations.

14 Fire Energy: We need a healthy amount of this, so we can Steam Up every turn, play Max Elixir effectively, and play Kiawe and still have enough energy to do things.

I would appreciate feedback and your opinion on the list! :)

BTW @JGB146, this is the list you asked for. :)

I like a lot of your ideas for 1 of Supporters, but I feel that with the loss of VS Seeker, you won't be able to reliably pick them up when you need them. Especially Kiawe, Acerola, and Wicke, which have very specific use cases (going first starting Turt/Ho-Oh, damaged Mon, low hand opponent), will be hard to find when you need them and pretty dead in your hand when you don't need them. I would suggest dropping Acerola and Wicke.

Alternatively, if you feel strongly about those Supporters, consider upping your Tapu Lele count. You noted above that bench space is important, and I agree, but even if you run 3 Lele (or 4??), you'll still realistically play only one almost every game. Upping the count allows you to have it in your hand when you need it, so that your 1 of Supporters will serve their purposes more reliably. When your bench gets too full or you feel like Leles won't help you anymore in the game, you can just discard them the same way you would discard Kiawe after turn 1 or discard Acerola against decks that OHKO your Mons.

Something else to consider is switching out Brooklet Hill for Po Town. It definitely hurts your consistency in every matchup, but it makes Gardevoir slightly less terrible, so it could be worth it.

Back