• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Volcanion/Turtonator in a Post Rotation Format!

GolurkChamp2597

Long Time Champion
Hello everyone! Golurk here, it's been a long time since I've posted a list on here! After playing Volcanion since the birth of the card, I really learned the different play styles it adapted. For the new rotation, I wanted to upload a list that has been the most consistent for me. And before anyone says "add Ho-Oh", I'm going to mention this: Ho-Oh GX makes your deck less reliant on your Volcanions and more reliant on always hitting turn 1 Kiawe. Not a horrible strategy, but I've always found that it makes the deck more clunky. So here's my post rotation list:

Pokemon: 13
3 Volcanion
3 Volcanion EX
2 Turtonator GX
2 Tapu Lele GX
1 Staryu
1 Starmie
1 Oranguru

Trainers: 33
4 Professor Sycamore
4 N
3 Guzma
1 Kiawe

4 Ultra Ball
2 Switch
2 Field Blower
3 Max Elixir
1 Rescue Stretcher
2 Fighting Fury Belt
1 Choice Band
3 Float Stone

3 Brooklet Hill

Energy: 14
14 Basic Fire Energy

Now as much as I bash the Kiawe/Ho-Oh variant, I also know Kiawe and Turtonator are amazing together. If you have 2 Turtonator, for example, and attach 1 Energy to 1 and then Kiawe the other one, you can have 2 Turtonators with 2 energies on each of them by the time you attack on turn 2. Also, the deck plays very little items, making Garbodor less of a threat. However, Espeon GX can still do some good damage and confuse the Volcanion. As for my Staryu, I chose the 40 HP free retreat Staryu from BKT. It is more frail, especially against Tapu Koko or Decidueye, but many players are more worried about your Volcanions rather then the Staryu. The only matches I struggle with is the mirror, in which many players are able to set up faster than me. However, I think Volcanion is still a great pick for this format in the future. Let me know of any changes you would like to make!

Nice list.

All decks will have at least 1 tough match-up whether it be Espeon-Garbodor and/or the mirror. Although an active Garbotoxin will potentially slow you down, there are things you can still do to deal with the Garbodor or even play around Garbotoxin. For the mirror, a well-timed Altar of the Sunne play has been helpful. But the bottom line, IMO, is that whoever can setup first usually wins.

I concur with you in that "...Kiawe and Turtonator GX are amazing together." To that end, I run 3 Turtonator GX (my preferred starter) hoping to start taking prize(s) on my T2...

Back