• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Volcanion (post Guardians Rising)

JadeGemTM

In terms of water, we have water
Forum Mod
Hello Deck Garage!
It's that time again where I make a bunch of proxy's, put them into decks, and sit in my room for hours battling myself. That's right, it's time for a new set! Be ready for me to spam deck garage with deck ideas for the next several days. Let's start off with an edit to one of my favorite decks - Volcanion!

The List~

Pokemon(12)

~ ~ ~
3 Volcanion STS
~ ~ ~
4 Volcanion EX STS
~ ~ ~
2 Turtonator GX GUR
~ ~ ~
2 Shaymin EX ROS
~ ~ ~
1 Tauros GX SuMo
~ ~ ~

Trainers(36)

~ ~ ~
4 Professor Sycamore
~ ~ ~
3 N
~ ~ ~
2 Lysandre
~ ~ ~
1 Fisherman
~ ~ ~
1 Ninja Boy
~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~
4 Ultra Ball
~ ~ ~
4 VS Seeker
~ ~ ~
4 Trainers Mail
~ ~ ~
3 Max Elixer
~ ~ ~
3 Energy Retrieval
~ ~ ~
1 Professors Letter
~ ~ ~
1 Field Blower
~ ~ ~
3 Float Stone
~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~
3 Altar of The Sunne
~ ~ ~

Energy(12)

~ ~ ~
12 Basic Fire
~ ~ ~

Translations

I know prereleases have started and most people have seen the cards,
but just in case.

#18 Turtonator-GX – Fire – HP190
Basic Pokemon

[C][C] Trap Shell: 20 damage. If this Pokemon is damaged by an attack during your opponent’s next turn, place 8 damage counters on the Attacking Pokemon.

[R][R][C] Crimson Flame: 160 damage. Discard 2 [R] Energy attached to this Pokemon.

[R] Nitro Tank GX: Attach 5 [R] Energy from your discard pile to your Pokemon in any way you like. (You can’t use more than 1 GX attack per game.)

When your Pokemon-GX is Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.

Weakness: Water (x2)
Resistance: none
Retreat: 3

#125 Field Blower – Trainer
Item

Choose up to 2 in any combination of Pokemon Tool cards and Stadium cards in play (yours or your opponent’s) and discard them.

You may play as many Item cards as you like during your turn (before your attack).

#118 Altar of the Sunne – Trainer
Stadium

[R] Pokemon and [M] Pokemon (both yours and your opponent’s) have no Weakness.

This card stays in play when you play it. Discard this card if another Stadium card comes into play. If another card with the same name is in play, you can’t play this card.

Additions

Turtonator:

I feel Turtonator is a great addition to the deck mainly for Trap Shell. If your opponent doesn't have a way to switch out your Pokémon, then they're, well, trapped, and with Steam Up, the attack can hit for 50, or 80, or 120, while still trapping your opponent! Not much to explain about Crimson Flame. Nitro Tank is a good turn 2 or 3 attack to get powered up even quicker.

Field Blower:
Not much to explain here. Will help a ton with Garbodor.

Altar of The Sunne:
With Water getting super popular after Guardians Rising, Altar of The Sunne is very very helpful for Volcanion, not having to worry about the Weakness anymore.

So that's all I got for now
Jade

I play Volcanion in local tournaments, and in fact played tonight with a new version with one copy of Turtonator (from prerelease). I still, overall, have some suggestions to make, mainly to do with my suggested use of Flareon EX. Also, 3 Max Elixir- if any- is excessive.

I play Volcanion in local tournaments, and in fact played tonight with a new version with one copy of Turtonator (from prerelease). I still, overall, have some suggestions to make, mainly to do with my suggested use of Flareon EX. Also, 3 Max Elixir- if any- is excessive.

Thanks for your reply! I really don't like using Flareon in Volcanion decks. That's just my preference. Also, I like playing speedy, so I feel the 3 Max Elixir is perfect. Thanks again for your reply!

You should replace 2 of your altar of the sunnes with scorched earth because power heater is more useful with more energy in your discard pile.
Also, you should replace 1 volcanion EX with a baby volcanion.
You should also replace fisherman with Brock's grit (gets 6 Pokemon AND energy from your discard pile into your deck).
Also replace 1 energy retrieval with a super rod (gets 3 Pokemon AND energy from your discard pile into your deck).
So you can heal your pokemon, replace 1 trainers mail with a Pokemon Center Lady (decks work with 3 trainers mails, too).
Replace an energy with an Altar of the sunne.

When I first a translation/description of Turtonator GX's first attack, I actually started laughing... with an attached Bursting Balloon and attacking with Trap Shell, very, very few opponents would ever attack that beast knowing the defending Pokemon would receive 140 damage as a result. What a wall.... lol.

In regards to your list, following are a few comments for your consideration:

• First of all, you have a solid list, IMO.
  • Although I have yet to start my personal play-testing with a revised Volcanion EX deck, my initial thought is to incorporate 3 Turtonator GX since, IMO, this Poke would also be still a fantastic, effective starter. Further, this Poke will also mitigate opponent's Garbodor play issues.
  • 3 Energy Retrieval (plus, Fisherman) seem excessive to me. Replacing 1 Energy Retrieval with a Lillie works well with "high" item counts.
  • Running 3 Altar of the Sunne Stadium also seem excessive. Even though Water decks may become more popular, replacing 1 of your Stadiums with a Parallel City would provide more flexibility overall, IMO, especially when you need to remove unwanted (e.g., Shaymin EX) or unneeded Pokemon from your bench.
  • 3 Float Stones also seem excessive. Replacing 1 with an Olympia provides greater flexibility since you can reuse this Supporter via VS Seeker.
  • Not sure yet, but an Energy Switch could be useful too since no DCE are used.
I hope you find these comments helpful.

Hi Jadethepokemontrainer,

Nice deck. Consider these modifications:

Pokémon:

- 1 Volcanion Ex (three are sufficient with Turtonator GX)
- 1 Tauros GX (not needed with Turtonator GX)

+ 1 Tapu Lele GX (excellent search and draw card that can attack too. Consider to run a second one and cut one Shaymin Ex)

Trainers:

- 1 Ninja Boy (not needed that bad without Tauros GX)

- 1 Trainers Mail (three are sufficient)
- 1 Energy Retrieval (two are sufficient with Fisherman and Tapu Lele GX)

- 3 Altar of The Sunne (passive stadium cards are not usefull in a meta where people run three to four stadiums themselves and one to two Field Blower)

+ 1 Lillie (nice draw card in a deck that can play it's hand and great with Tapu Lele GX turn one)

+ 1 Field Blower (to me this should be a stable two-off in decks that need abilities)

+ 3 Scorched Earth or Brooklet Hill (Scorched Earth is a decent draw stadium and allows you to discard energy for Volcanion non-Ex. Brooklet Hill can search Volcanion Ex from the deck)

This will leave you with two open slots that can be used for tech cards. If you choose Brooklet Hill you could consider to replace Shaymin Ex with an Octillery line since Brooklet Hill searches out Remoraid and Volcanion from the deck. On usual you should not need more than one or two Steam Ups with Turtonator GX.

Hope this provides some initial assistance.

Back