• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Expanded Volcanion EX/Keldeo EX for League Cup

ElementZero

Aspiring Trainer
Trying to fine tune this before my league cup this weekend. I might change out the breakpoint staryu for the evolutions one since i have ways around the retreat cost and it has more HP. Also not sure if i am running enough energy for this and not sure what to cut for more. Help would be appreciated

Pokemon: 15
4x Volcanion EX 107/114
2x Keldeo EX 49/149
2z Turtonator GX 18/145
2x Volcanion 25/114
2x Starmie 31/108
2x Staryu 25/122
1x Shaymin EX 77/108

Trainers: 34
4x Trainers' Mail
4x VS Seeker
3x Professor Juniper
3x Brooklet Hill
3x Float Stone
3x Ultra Ball
3x Choice Band
2x Blacksmith
2x N
2x Battle Compressor
2x Field Blower
1x Pokemon Ranger
1x Lysandre
1x Colress

Energy: 11
11x Fire Energy

Last edited:
Your list seems very solid, but I'm very curious about one thing. Why the inclusion of Keldeo-EX? What are you playing it for and what is it achieving for the deck?

its to reset volcanion ex. attack with steam ups, rush in with keldeo ex, retreat with float stone, rinse and repeat

its to reset volcanion ex. attack with steam ups, rush in with keldeo ex, retreat with float stone, rinse and repeat

Fair. I don't think a simple retreat tech is worth playing three copies of, though. Back in the format people played Keldeo-EX for retreat tech, everyone only played one copy and they were perfectly fine off. I think you're better off using two deck slots to play more of Volcanion or Shaymin-EX.

yeah that would make sense. though i might just try another copy of Turtonator GX just to get another decent attacker. Idk if i need more shaymin with the way i need to manage bench space and 1 more baby volcanion seems too many

yeah that would make sense. though i might just try another copy of Turtonator GX just to get another decent attacker. Idk if i need more shaymin with the way i need to manage bench space and 1 more baby volcanion seems too many

1 more Turtonator-GX works pretty well, I think most lists play two.
I personally think that Volcanion lists should be playing at least 3 Volcanion just because of how strong of a backbone it is for the deck, you get a lot of energy attachments out of Power Heater and it's nice to have a fairly strong 1-prize attacker that deals high damage from Steam Up for an attack cost of 1 that directly benefits from Steam Up.

As for bench space, you could totally opt to play Sky Field, however I think it's quite outclassed by Brooklet Hill.

Last edited:
yeah the brooklets allow me to cut down on ultra ball counts since i would only use them on shaymin, starmie, or baby volcanion since the rest can be searched by brooklet. also is the breakpoint staryu still better in this over the evolutions one? since i have the retreat tech?

yeah the brooklets allow me to cut down on ultra ball counts since i would only use them on shaymin, starmie, or baby volcanion since the rest can be searched by brooklet. also is the breakpoint staryu still better in this over the evolutions one? since i have the retreat tech?

Keep the one with free retreat. This guarantees you can still make a retreat in a situation where you don't have your retreat tech available, or cannot set it up.

3 Sky field, 1 more ultra ball and 2 nest ball. -3 brooklet hill, -1 Pokemon ranger,-2 Keldeo ex

ranger is good for the toad match up. not sure what sky field is doing for this though

Sky Field just allows you to bench more. In theory it allows you to safely keep 4 Volcanion-EX on your bench until your Sky Field is discarded, and it doesn't help the deck set up like Brooklet Hill does, it only benefits you once you're fully set up and may not need the added bench space.
I think the set-up drive is a lot better than the added bench space. Sky Field can be countered so easily and, with a proper set-up, isn't necessary.

Back