• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Alt. Format Volcanion EX Deck 2018 Rotation

Adi

Aspiring Trainer
I was thinking about decks for the 2018 rotation, and I decided to make a Volcanion EX deck. Here is the deck list I have come up with so far.

Pokemon: 15

2 Staryu
2 Starmie
2 Tapu Lele GX
1 Ho Oh GX
4 Volcanion
3 Volcanion EX
1 Giratina

Trainers: 33

Items
2 Choice Band
1 Field Blower
3 Float Stone
1 Rescue Stretcher
4 Ultra Ball
2 Max Elixir
2 Nest Ball
2 Max Potion

Supporters
2 Kiawe
2 Guzma
4 N
4 Professor Sycamore
1 Acerola

Stadiums
3 Scorched Earth

Energy: 12

12 Fire Energy

I put this deck together pretty fast, and I'm not acquainted very well with some of the new trainers, so some feedback on better cards would be appreciated. Any feedback is appreciated.

Last edited:
How are you going to run Solgaleo GX without Cosmog? It's a Stage 2 Metal type, so seems thoroughly out of place in Turt/Volc.

Oops, I must have overlooked that instead I'm going to run Flareon EX.

just a few thoughts about your list:
1st scorched earth is rotating...
if you can afford tapu lele gxs you should definitely include them and if you cant consider octillery
the hoopa ex is borderline useless with only 2 ultra balls to search it out
starmie could also be a better replacement to the energy retrievals
the letters really arnt needed or wanted when playing against garb
consider more supporters it will help with consistency
other than that since im not really a volcanion player so i dont have much else to say other than consider looking at Ryan Sabelhaus's top 4 NAIC list for more ideas about the deck

just a few thoughts about your list:
1st scorched earth is rotating...
if you can afford tapu lele gxs you should definitely include them and if you cant consider octillery
the hoopa ex is borderline useless with only 2 ultra balls to search it out
starmie could also be a better replacement to the energy retrievals
the letters really arnt needed or wanted when playing against garb
consider more supporters it will help with consistency
other than that since im not really a volcanion player so i dont have much else to say other than consider looking at Ryan Sabelhaus's top 4 NAIC list for more ideas about the deck
Scorched Earth stays because it was reprinted in Fates Collide.

A few thoughts for your consideration:
  • As another Volcanion EX deck player, I've found Flareon EX not to be that effective vs. some other Pokémon. For example, Tauros GX or even a 3rd Turtonator GX are very solid Pokémon to combo with Volcanion EX.
  • What is your deck strategy?
  • Oranguru can also provide some supplemental card-draw support and is faster to setup vs. Octillery.
  • IMO, Town Map is a "nice to have" tech, but not super effective. Plus, after you go through your deck the first or second time, you should know what cards are prized. So, consider replacing Town Map with a more critical card.
  • Why no Mallow? The Mallow-Scorched Earth combo works really well in this type of deck.
  • 3 Professor's Letters seem excessive.
  • 3 Switch seem excessive.
  • 1 Field Blower is insufficient.
  • Inclusion of a Parallel City can be helpfl in removing unwanted/unneeded Pokémon from your bench.
Suggested deck changes:

-1 Flareon EX
-2 Remoraid
-2 Octillery
-1 Switch
-1 Professor's Letter (If you plan to use Turtonator GX to accelerate energy attachment, then keep this)
-1 Town Map

+1 Oranguru
+1 Turtonator GX / Tauros GX
+1 Starmie
+1 Staryu
+2 Mallow
+1 Brock's Grit
+1 Lillie
I hope you find these comments helpful.

I made some changes like getting rid of professor's letter, adding Starmie line, adding Choice Band, etc.

Last edited:
I like the revised list. Three thoughts I have are:
  • Should a 3rd Guzma (-1 Switch) be added due to its "expected" importance next season?
  • Should a Parallel City be added in order to remove unwanted/unneeded Pokemon from your bench (or to disrupt your opponent's bench)?
  • Should Acerola be incorporated into the deck?
Thoughts?

I changed the deck up some more from my last list. I added a third Guzma. Also Parallel City is only good if you want to shorten your bench, otherwise you are just hurting yourself. Since I'm not running Parallel City I will run an Acerola to pick up cards like Tapu Lele GX, and Volcanions if I have to. There were also a couple other changes I made to the deck. Tell me what you think of the new deck list, thanks!

Last edited:
I was thinking about decks for the 2018 rotation, and I decided to make a Volcanion EX/Flareon EX deck. Here is the deck list I have come up with so far.

Pokemon: 15

2 Staryu
2 Starmie
1 Tapu Lele GX
1 Flareon EX
4 Volcanion
4 Volcanion EX
1 Ho Oh GX

Trainers: 32

Items
2 Choice Band
1 Field Blower
3 Float Stone
1 Rescue Stretcher
4 Ultra Ball
2 Max Elixir
2 Nest Ball
2 Max Potion

Supporters
1 Fisherman
2 Guzma
3 N
4 Professor Sycamore
1 Acerola
1 Kiawe

Stadiums
3 Scorched Earth

Energy: 13

13 Fire Energy

I put this deck together pretty fast, and I'm not acquainted very well with some of the new trainers, so some feedback on better cards would be appreciated. Any feedback is appreciated.
Run
I was thinking about decks for the 2018 rotation, and I decided to make a Volcanion EX/Flareon EX deck. Here is the deck list I have come up with so far.

run 3# fighting fury belt and it should at least give you a shot

Back