Virizion EX / Genesect EX

+20 from Deoxys means you don't have to two shot Bouffalant and take 120 damage (or get ko'd) or two shot Victini EX (and more than likely get ko'd). Although I must admit Catcher-Stall is REALLY annoying. Still, I kind of think of Genesect as similar to Plasma except on the other side of the "Blend spectrum", with greater access to Virizion (thanks to Blend), thus I feel it should have techs the same way Plasma has techs like Absol and Lugia. Also pretty sure turn 2 Night Spear isn't that hard to get, since it's over two turns.

If you run Deoxys, I'd certainly suggest at least 3-that allows you to repeatedly OHKO Kyurems without burning Catchers or wasting attacks. Note that Virizion EX can't accelerate Prism or Blend, but if you're not worried about Enhanced Hammer effects you could still probably sub some Grass out for Prism or Blend-just not all of them. I'd disagree with Absol being a tech and not a crucial attacker for the deck, but that's a discussion for another thread.

Rayquaza-XD said:
+20 from Deoxys means you don't have to two shot Bouffalant and take 120 damage (or get ko'd) or two shot Victini EX (and more than likely get ko'd). Although I must admit Catcher-Stall is REALLY annoying. Still, I kind of think of Genesect as similar to Plasma except on the other side of the "Blend spectrum", with greater access to Virizion (thanks to Blend), thus I feel it should have techs the same way Plasma has techs like Absol and Lugia. Also pretty sure turn 2 Night Spear isn't that hard to get, since it's over two turns.
According to the probabilities it is easier to get a turn 1 Emerald Slash then a turn 2 night spear... Do the math.

I've been testing this all day and have found that the deck needs something to attack with outside of Virizion and Genesect... Anyone found anything decent?

camoclone said:
I've been testing this all day and have found that the deck needs something to attack with outside of Virizion and Genesect... Anyone found anything decent?

I thought you liked Tropius lol

Pokewiz1999 said:
camoclone said:

I thought you liked Tropius lol

I do however the difference it makes isn't very large...

Blueinvader said:
What about Porygon-Z to move around Plasma Energy? So you can power up attacks more easily.
-_- You already have energy acceleration through Genesect not to mention Porygon can only move around plasma energy. It's also a stage 2 that will completely be a waste of resources.

camoclone said:
cheesedoodles408 said:
tropius or bouffalant are good. i tried out shaymin ex but it kinda sucked
Bouffalant has a high energy cost and just gets catcher KO'd.

What? No!

Bouffalant can do so much work for the deck, if you get it turn 3 after an Emerald Slash, that's 170. Throw in a single hypnotoxic laser, that's 180. It's also great because it not only forces 7 prize cards, it also fits right in with DCE. DCE makes it an efficient attacker, using only two energy cards, making it so that you can actually attack without having to use Emerald Slash in prior turns. DCE also works sooooo well with GBooster it's criminal. How does it get catcher ko'd? You need to do 120, that's hard to do in this format, with the exception of Kyurem. In the plasma matchup, why would you bench a bouff in a matchup where you'll be dealing with primarily Absols and Kyurems. Bouff also forces them to deal with it, and if you're playing virbanks/lasers, you can attach a bangle. GG no re.

Zangoose said:
camoclone said:
Bouffalant has a high energy cost and just gets catcher KO'd.

What? No!

Bouffalant can do so much work for the deck, if you get it turn 3 after an Emerald Slash, that's 170. Throw in a single hypnotoxic laser, that's 180. It's also great because it not only forces 7 prize cards, it also fits right in with DCE. DCE makes it an efficient attacker, using only two energy cards, making it so that you can actually attack without having to use Emerald Slash in prior turns. DCE also works sooooo well with GBooster it's criminal. How does it get catcher ko'd? You need to do 120, that's hard to do in this format, with the exception of Kyurem. In the plasma matchup, why would you bench a bouff in a matchup where you'll be dealing with primarily Absols and Kyurems. Bouff also forces them to deal with it, and if you're playing virbanks/lasers, you can attach a bangle. GG no re.
That's the problem with theory. In theory what you said works however in a real game it doesn't. By turn 3 it is bound to be catcher KO's not to mention a turn 2 or turn 3 G-Booster is ten times better then a measly 120. Also running DCE's and Laserbank takes up a huge amount of space that will ruin consistency. What you just said isa nothing like how Bouffalant functions in real life. I suggest you actually test it.

Edit: Driftblim is good but also very situational. On the plus side you could now call the deck balloon animals.

Pokewiz1999 said:
I don't know if Genesect rare would be any good of an attacker or not.
It's kind of meh... That's the problem with the secondary attackers. It's not like we are missing anything that's is just amazing. Everything is just kind of so-so.

camoclone said:
Pokewiz1999 said:
I don't know if Genesect rare would be any good of an attacker or not.
It's kind of meh... That's the problem with the secondary attackers. It's not like we are missing anything that's is just amazing. Everything is just kind of so-so.

Yeah there just isn't really anything... I run one-of Tropius and that's it. I haven't tested it like that though.

Pokewiz1999 said:
camoclone said:

Yeah there just isn't really anything... I run one-of Tropius and that's it. I haven't tested it like that though.
Yes... Everything is just so-so... Honestly the only 2 things I would ever even consider running would be Bouffalant or Driftblim. But it's not like were missing anything else that's amazing.

camoclone said:
Pokewiz1999 said:
Yes... Everything is just so-so... Honestly the only 2 things I would ever even consider running would be Bouffalant or Driftblim. But it's not like were missing anything else that's amazing.

I tested Drifblim a lot with a friend and it actually got me wins against TDK... But he was able to get around it. I might try running it anyway again

Pokewiz1999 said:
camoclone said:

I tested Drifblim a lot with a friend and it actually got me wins against TDK... But he was able to get around it. I might try running it anyway again
Yup... Just very situational. Like I said before to add on to it's numerous additions to this deck it also can change the name to Balloon Animals which is a pretty freaking awesome name. Just very situational. If you expect to see a ton of TDK then by all means play Driftblim.

camoclone said:
Pokewiz1999 said:

How about Virizion NVI? It's still in format because of the SR version in Plasma Blast, if you start with it lone it's okay as the draw attack is still kinda cool, and with a Bangle it can hit 110 for two energies.

So you have a main attacker that deals 100+20 for 3 energy...or you can have a secondary attacker that deals 110 damage for 2 energy plus a tool (and only on EXes) you're not running, but only on the second turn of it attacking (and that can be delayed even further by Catcher effects), and its the same type so its not like it lets you hit other things for weakness or get around resistance. On top of that its not Plasma so you can't Colress Machine it and the first turn its attack does less damage than Virizion's for the same energy with no additional effect. In terms of setting up, Double Draw is almost always worse than Tropius's Return (Bill vs Bianca. Never been a contest).

So to summarize: first attack is worse than Tropius's, second attack is worse than Virizion's turn 1 and Genesect's following that, and usually worse than Tropius's too. Why would you want to play that?

Back