Virizion EX / Genesect EX

Machamp the Champion said:
In my "testing," (which includes 6 games X_X) this deck hasn't performed as well as I would've liked. All of the games were against Plasma (With Lasers, not Bangles), and the only time I won was when they drew dead. They also drew dead in another game, and I lost that one. To be fair, my list isn't perfect, and those Plasma decks were previously tested, but it just doesn't seem like it has enough power, or speed, or anything other than consistency, which doesn't help when the rest of the deck is bad. I don't play Colress Machines, Plasma Badges, Lasers, and barely any techs. Just a super consistent list, which it is. The get's what it wants, but it's expectations are too low.

Anyway, my point is, do you guys think this deck can win with just plain old Emerald Slash, Megalo Cannon and G Booster? Or is there something more that I'm too lazy to test missing?

Also, another topic. What non EX attackers do you guys like in this deck, if any? The only one I've played is Tropius, and it's a nice card. Especially after N's to 1 or 2.

I think the problem is you aren't actually running Colress Machine...the more energy acceleration the better.

Well, Plasma is probably the best deck in format right now. Especially with Silver Bangle, Kyurem can get off a 150 blizzard burn on turn two under ideal conditions, which isn't that too difficult to pull off, since all you need is a colress machine, kyurem, and 2 water energies in your opening hand. That's hard to stop. When you play against Plasma, what seems to be the biggest threat? If it's Keldeo's ability, you may want to try to catcher it as soon as possible, since with weakness it is easy to knockout. Two Emerald Slashes and you're good. Alternatively, you may consider running a couple of non-EX attackers and use Silver Mirror to deal with it.

Hopefully everyone will see that the reason this deck performed so well was because of energy switch. Its strong but not as powerful as plasma. Plasma steamrolls this pretty quickly.

Exp share in this deck. Exp share works. I hope people realize this. Also, too many are trying to tech it out too much. Also, if the format becomes plasma and abilities again, be aware of garbodor. Itll come back hard.

Ive been testing with some friends from 2ch and the deck is still fast but I think im going to stick with plasma.

Honestly, I believe that Ether and Lunatone make this deck at its best. It makes turn 1 megalocannon very doable.

MMAmonchan said:
Honestly, I believe that Ether and Lunatone make this deck at its best. It makes turn 1 megalocannon very doable.

Lunatone/Ether is, to be frank, horrible. Hitting an Energy off of Premonition is harder than getting an Energy off of Celestial Roar, which by the way, rarely happens. You also have to have an Ether in your hand when it actually happens. Getting a T1 Megalo Cannon is never going to happen. T1 Emerald Slash isn't even that likely. Lunatone is also a very bad starter, and puts a damper on your all 1 retreat cost deck.

What other good pokemon besides the obvious (Genesect EX, Virizion EX) would be solid in this deck? I was thinking possibly Bouffalant? How about Tropious and Genesect?

Your thoughts about including 1 Lugia EX in this deck? Also with 2 DCE which also help G-Booster attack.

2 DCE doesn't really help the G-Booster attack. In my opinion, you want to be running as few non-Grass energy providers as possible; Grass+DCE+Colress Machine=no G-Booster or Megalo Cannon at all, and it means you're either cutting consistency or running the risk that you'll run out of Grass Energy. Say you've got 10 Grass 4 Plasma, cut 2 Grass for the DCE and you've got 8 Grass. Lose 2-3 attached to a Genesect, do it again, have 1-2 Grass Energy prized, and you can't attack with your last Genesect.

I think this deck is overhyped.
OH, I got the G-Booster KO! YES!
Great, now what?

Everybody's focusing on the ability to do 200. It just pulls people in sometimes.

This is a combo waiting to be made.

Get Virizion T1
Attach Plasma badge to Virizion
Use colress machine to attach Plasma energy to Virizion.
Attach a grass energy to Virizion.
Use plasma ball to Get genesect EX to bench
Use another colress machine to bring Plasma energy to genesect. (Can also attach plasma energy manually T2 for catcher effect)
Use plasma ball to get G-booster out.
Emerald slash.
Start wrecking your opponent.

I agree, it has been getting lots of hype, but it seems like a great combo.

It doesn't work because the chances of getting the badge + colress machine + virizion start is too low.

Using a couple copies of badge however can be useful, and having them can allow you to fully justify having 2 or 3 copies of Deoxys. Megalo Cannon is a good attack, that gets overlooked because people see G-booster and put their blinders on. MC hits hard, and even that 20 bench shot adds up over time. Deoxys makes MC even stronger, so G-booster is not the top priority (which it shouldn't be). And then with those badges Virizion can swing a tad harder as well.

Regirocket said:
Using a couple copies of badge however can be useful, and having them can allow you to fully justify having 2 or 3 copies of Deoxys. Megalo Cannon is a good attack, that gets overlooked because people see G-booster and put their blinders on. MC hits hard, and even that 20 bench shot adds up over time. Deoxys makes MC even stronger, so G-booster is not the top priority (which it shouldn't be). And then with those badges Virizion can swing a tad harder as well.

Although I do mostly agree with you, Regi, G-booster is a first priority in a couple of match-up. In the Mirror you need the early G-booster to knock their energies off the board and quickly OHKO their Genesect otherwise you'll fall behind in the prize race and lose momentum. MC is an option if the opponent has a slow start, but in the mirror you will 90% of the time want to hit the G-booster over MC. Also in the Darkrai/Hydreigon match the OHKO is necessary otherwise they will Dark Trance --> Max off the damage, although MC can be used to KO Dieno, or even a Plasma Badged Virizion + Hypnotoxic Laser or Deoxys. Just my personal opinion, but because of the speed of the format and how many decks have the ability to OHKO pokemon, G-booster is a much better option over MC.

Dark Void said:
2 DCE doesn't really help the G-Booster attack. In my opinion, you want to be running as few non-Grass energy providers as possible; Grass+DCE+Colress Machine=no G-Booster or Megalo Cannon at all, and it means you're either cutting consistency or running the risk that you'll run out of Grass Energy. Say you've got 10 Grass 4 Plasma, cut 2 Grass for the DCE and you've got 8 Grass. Lose 2-3 attached to a Genesect, do it again, have 1-2 Grass Energy prized, and you can't attack with your last Genesect.

I test this deck all day and i must say that i agree with you. 10 Grass is the minimum this deck must run. Also i have concluded that it needs Lasers (or Deoxys EX but i have not tested yet), if you don't go for the T1 Emerald Slash (which is very luck based). I know that if this deck becomes popular and you face a mirror match-up you have 6 dead cards, but against all other match-ups Lasers work very well.

I have only tested this deck a little bit, but from what I've seen of it, it's pretty powerful (I use Colress machine/Plasma badge). I played a few darkrai decks, and this deck had a good darkrai matchup. Also, Boufalant (In my opinion) is too klunky to work in this deck.

Although I have not yet had a chance to playtest the deck since I'm still missing a few Virizion EXs and Genesect EXs, I would think the best idea is to hide your G Booster until you absolutely need it. Like in Keldeo Blastoise, you don't use Black Ballista all the time, only when you need to. G Booster is mostly used to hit through Silver Mirror, Latias EX, Safeguard, and Klingklang. You don't want to attach the G Booster asap because they might scrapper it. Megalo Cannon should be your main attack as it is more reliable, and it doesn't force you to discard energy.

Salamencetrainer34 said:
This is a combo waiting to be made.

Get Virizion T1
Attach Plasma badge to Virizion
Use colress machine to attach Plasma energy to Virizion.
Attach a grass energy to Virizion.
Use plasma ball to Get genesect EX to bench
Use another colress machine to bring Plasma energy to genesect. (Can also attach plasma energy manually T2 for catcher effect)
Use plasma ball to get G-booster out.
Emerald slash.
Start wrecking your opponent.

I agree, it has been getting lots of hype, but it seems like a great combo.

Played this deck the other day... This deck is amazing and just steamrolls... Until you knock out one pokemon. Then the deck looses their momentum... It also loses a lot of momentum if you discard their G-Booster. Then things turn around... Also if you can get a Heatran EX out (I run a 1-of in plasma) then it completely demolishes this deck. I

Not sure if anybody's mentioned it, but I've found that Deoxys is an amazing tech; it counters many non EX attackers which might pose a threat if they survive Megalo Cannon. With 1 Deoxys, you can one shot Victini EX, but more importantly, you can hit a Kyurem (PF obviously), snipe another Kyurem, then catcher up the benched Kyurem and KO both. With two Deoxys, you can deal with Garchomp the same way and one shot Bouffalants. I stick with two Deoxys because more is not necessary and I also find when you start using more than two its cons start to outweigh its pros; it does not get free retreat from Skyarrow Bridge, thus prone to catcher stalls. For the same reason, running 3 makes it too likely to start with it. Of course, one can overcome this with an energy attachment, Colress Machine or (surprise surprise!) Switch, but this wastes a turn of energy attachment, a Colress machine and overall it's not good to rely on these to get out of catcher stall. Back to the pros. Deoxys is a nice, quick attacker to get you out of those tight situations, and also powers up pokemon with Plasma Badge attached.

Another tech I have been testing out is the ultra-controversial Jirachi EX. Especially when it first came out, many players, including me, simply glanced at its puny 90 HP and thought "90?!?! Get out of the EX club!". However, I after testing it for a while, it is amazing at getting board position and often wins games. For me, its main uses are to get Skyla or Shadow Triad to get G-Booster (wherever it is) to get the important KO, which is usually between mid to late game, which in turn is also the only time Jirachi should be played. Assuming they have more than two prizes (not now, Lugia), if you bench the Jirachi and the opponent goes for it, then Genesect gets another turn to attack, thus it is pointless to attack Jirachi (assuming you have board position after using Jirachi). One might think of playing down Jirachi similar to making a move in chess which puts the opponent in check(mate). Thus it is relatively safe, unless, like me in my first game of testing Jirachi, you start with it alone. Then it's not so good (duh), but I reckon when played properly, is a crucial aspect of the deck.

Rayquaza-XD said:
Not sure if anybody's mentioned it, but I've found that Deoxys is an amazing tech; it counters many non EX attackers which might pose a threat if they survive Megalo Cannon. With 1 Deoxys, you can one shot Victini EX, but more importantly, you can hit a Kyurem (PF obviously), snipe another Kyurem, then catcher up the benched Kyurem and KO both. With two Deoxys, you can deal with Garchomp the same way and one shot Bouffalants. I stick with two Deoxys because more is not necessary and I also find when you start using more than two its cons start to outweigh its pros; it does not get free retreat from Skyarrow Bridge, thus prone to catcher stalls. For the same reason, running 3 makes it too likely to start with it. Of course, one can overcome this with an energy attachment, Colress Machine or (surprise surprise!) Switch, but this wastes a turn of energy attachment, a Colress machine and overall it's not good to rely on these to get out of catcher stall. Back to the pros. Deoxys is a nice, quick attacker to get you out of those tight situations, and also powers up pokemon with Plasma Badge attached.

Another tech I have been testing out is the ultra-controversial Jirachi EX. Especially when it first came out, many players, including me, simply glanced at its puny 90 HP and thought "90?!?! Get out of the EX club!". However, I after testing it for a while, it is amazing at getting board position and often wins games. For me, its main uses are to get Skyla or Shadow Triad to get G-Booster (wherever it is) to get the important KO, which is usually between mid to late game, which in turn is also the only time Jirachi should be played. Assuming they have more than two prizes (not now, Lugia), if you bench the Jirachi and the opponent goes for it, then Genesect gets another turn to attack, thus it is pointless to attack Jirachi (assuming you have board position after using Jirachi). One might think of playing down Jirachi similar to making a move in chess which puts the opponent in check(mate). Thus it is relatively safe, unless, like me in my first game of testing Jirachi, you start with it alone. Then it's not so good (duh), but I reckon when played properly, is a crucial aspect of the deck.
Yes it is a neat tech card... Yes it has a useful effect. But sometimes you have to ask your self if it's worth 2 prizes. Literally anything can kill it... It isn't worth 2 prizes and it doesn't do anything 14 supporters don't already do.

Back