Virizion EX / Genesect EX

Blah

DBT
Use this thread for all discussion of the Virizion EX/Genesect EX deck. This includes strategies, playstyles, and techs.

You may post decklists here, but only as a means of adding to the discussion. Don't post decklists here for advice.

All discussion not related to Virizion/Genesect will be moved or deleted. All shallow or uninformed discussion will also be deleted by the mods.

Skeleton List:

Pokémon: 7
  • 4 Virizion EX
  • 3 Genesect EX
Trainers: 30
  • 4 N
  • 4 Professor Juniper
  • 4 Skyla
  • 2 Colress
  • 2 Shadow Triad
  • 3 Ball Cards (Ultra Ball / Plasma Ball)
  • 3 Muscle Band
  • 2 Energy Switch
  • 1 Colress Machine
  • 1 Professor's Letter
  • 1 Super Rod
  • 1 G Booster
  • 2 Skyarrow Bridge
Energy: 13
  • 9 Grass
  • 4 Plasma
Free Spots: 10

Good Additions:
  • Drifblim DRX
  • Raichu XY
  • Roserade DRX 15
  • Deoxys EX
  • Druddigon FLF
  • Jirachi EX
  • Switch
  • Tool Scrapper
  • Enhanced Hammer
  • Double Colorless Energy (With Raichu or Druddigon)
  • Psychic Energy (With Deoxys)
  • More Colress Machine

I have Virizion/Genesect proxied and a couple techs I don't think are in most decks are 1 Mr. Mime, 2 Sky Arrow Bridge, 1 extra Keldeo-EX. Mr. Mime is for protection against Genesect and Darkrai snipes, Sky Bridge gives Virizion and Genesect free retreat, and Keldeo helps with fire and can rush in/retreat when needed with float stone.

Pokewiz1999 said:
I have Virizion/Genesect proxied and a couple techs I don't think are in most decks are 1 Mr. Mime, 2 Sky Arrow Bridge, 1 extra Keldeo-EX. Mr. Mime is for protection against Genesect and Darkrai snipes, Sky Bridge gives Virizion and Genesect free retreat, and Keldeo helps with fire and can rush in/retreat when needed with float stone.

wat

OK, first off, Mr. Mime is not worth it. Darkrai and Genesect snipes do not make any important numbers happen with those matchups.

Secondly, why Keldeo when you run Skyarrow? Is it so that you have the ability to lose the mirror 100% of the time when you start with it?

Also, no Float Stone. You already have Skyarrow and the only Tools you should ever run are Team Plasma Badge and G-Booster.

Skyarrow is definitely not a tech; I'd personally call it necessary in the deck. Keldeo on the other hand is useless. It doesn't actually do any more damage to Fire types than Genesect does unless you're running Prisms or Water, which I wouldn't suggest. Considering that your entire deck has free retreat after Skyarrow, why do you need Keldeo Float Stone for the free retreat as well? Agreed with the above post; Mr. Mime is really not worth it. Darkrai is dying down. I /guess/ Emerald Slash+Megalo Cannon Snipe+Megalo Cannon direct hit=170 damage, but that's not all that common and Mr. Mime lets you get donked and is useless most of the time.

Tropius. That card is a pretty good tech for this deck with energy press. It seems like a grass version of cobalion and its attack return is good for draw support the first couple turns

The only reason to run Tropius is for Suicune, the first few turns don't matter too much as you almost always want to attach to Virizion or Genesect every turn that you can. Tropius is actually a decent tech if your area is running rampant with Suicune because Tropius + G Booster and any Shadow Triads you run allows you to efficiently handle quite a few Suicune. There's a risk to it though; lighting weakness gives Plasma a chance to donk you it's almost always dead weight against everything that isn't Suicune.

Think anyone will play this deck with Prism or Blend? It would offer some interesting tech options what with most running plasma badge to get that turn 1 Emerald Slash.

You can't accelerate those with Emerald Slash or Super Rod them back, so probably not. Especially with Victini NVI 15 gone.

Here is my basic list:

Pokemon - 12

3 Virizion EX PLB
3 Genesect EX PLB
2 Tropius PLB
2-2 Drifblim PLB

Trainer - 36

1 G-Boooster
3 Pokemon Catcher
3 Team Plasma Badge
4 Colress Machine
3 Ultra Ball
3 Plasma Ball
3 Silver Mirror
1 Tool Scrapper
2 Skyarrow Bridge

4 Juniper
4 N
3 Skyla
2 Shadow Triad

Energy - 12

4 Plasma
8 Grass

Just a list that we can start talking about. I really like Drifblim, I don't know if it would be worth the space though.

If someone plays Entei/Victini, laugh at them (unless they are psychic and it is a godly metagame call because every single person at that entire tournament other than them is running Genesect/Virizon). Its a terrible deck that has awful matchups against everything imaginable except this.

Reggie McGigas said:
Entei/Victini decks seem to be on the rise. Is there a good water type tech for this deck?

I can vouch for this. I played a couple of these decks last night and it did give me a bit of a hard time. However, I was running a pretty clunky deck.
Additionally, I would think Abomasnow, Keldeo, or maybe even Outrage Kyurem.

Blueinvader said:
Here is my basic list:

Pokemon - 12

3 Virizion EX PLB
3 Genesect EX PLB
2 Tropius PLB
2-2 Drifblim PLB

Trainer - 36

1 G-Boooster
3 Pokemon Catcher
3 Team Plasma Badge
4 Colress Machine
3 Ultra Ball
3 Plasma Ball
3 Silver Mirror
1 Tool Scrapper
2 Skyarrow Bridge

4 Juniper
4 N
3 Skyla
2 Shadow Triad

Energy - 12

4 Plasma
8 Grass

Just a list that we can start talking about. I really like Drifblim, I don't know if it would be worth the space though.

You need Drifblim DRX here If you play Drifbilm PLB, 2 Hammers too, I have tested the problem is get Colress Machine + Plasma Badge T1 to Emerald Slash t1, Mr. Mime is usefull against TDK because Kyurem Frost Spear and KO Genesect after, so you are set up for nothing. With Hammers you slowdown Kyurem/Silver Bangle. Silver Mirror will not worth in this deck.

Edit:

PS: DCE works good here, since you Emerald Slash for two Grass Energy you could just attach 1 DCE and discard to do G-Booster, since it just need to discard two energies attached too Genesect e not two energy card like Pokebeach translations show us.

Here's a basic Japanese list for the deck:
4 VirizionEX
3 GenesectEX

12 Grass

4 Bicycle
4 Skyla
4 Float Stone
4 Ultra Ball
4 Hypnotoxic Laser
4 Pokemon Catcher
4 Professor Juniper
4 N
3 Energy Switch*
2 Virbank City Gym
2 Super Rod
1 G-Booster
1 Shadow Triad

*Not Legal in NXD-On

Blueinvader said:
What are VirGen's worst matchups?

I would say Plasma is a threat to VirGen as Kyurem with silver bangle and two Deoxy's on the bench can One hit KO both Genesect and Virizion.

I think Blastoise is actually a worse matchup than Plasma as its easier to Blastoise to get OHKOs, and that's what really shuts this deck down. Also, Virizion has a Water resistance so it actually takes 4 Deoxys + Bangle for Kyurem to net the OHKO, which is not that easy.

Dark Void said:
I think Blastoise is actually a worse matchup than Plasma as its easier to Blastoise to get OHKOs, and that's what really shuts this deck down. Also, Virizion has a Water resistance so it actually takes 4 Deoxys + Bangle for Kyurem to net the OHKO, which is not that easy.

I somehow find it funny that you think Blastoise is a bad matchup -.- look at the weakness? You won't have many blastoises left...

Back