• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

VirGen (Virizion / Genesect)

RE: VirGen (Virizion/Genesect)

I like it; this looks really consistent.

Lugia is a solid card in VirGen, but I would recommend adding in at least one non-EX Pokémon to force a 7-prize game. Running Munna or something can be pretty good in terms of not really giving up anything if it gets KO'd and being able to provide a turn of stall once in a while.

scizorlicious said:
I like it; this looks really consistent.

Lugia is a solid card in VirGen, but I would recommend adding in at least one non-EX Pokémon to force a 7-prize game. Running Munna or something can be pretty good in terms of not really giving up anything if it gets KO'd and being able to provide a turn of stall once in a while.

I'll probably add Lugia and a Munna. Thanks for the input!

Edit: Decided I want to add 1 Lugia-EX, 1 Munna, and 1 DCE. Any thoughts on what I should take out? Thinking one Skyla and maybe a Grass. I'd like to add a Super Rod.

Edit: Put in Lugia and DCE. Need room for Munna and Super Rod.

You might be able to take out a Catcher because of Genesect's Ability. I haven't tested a whole lot with VirGen, so take it with a grain of salt.

scizorlicious said:
You might be able to take out a Catcher because of Genesect's Ability. I haven't tested a whole lot with VirGen, so take it with a grain of salt.

I'll probably go with that but I often Colress Machine Plasma to Genesect or Virizion.

Edit: Still want room for a Stupid Rod.

I made made one of these decks. I used only 1 Catcher and 3 Plasma Energy. No Colress Machine. I never found time to really want to use the plasma drop for a catcher, when I could put an grass energy instead. So it didn't really work well as catcher replacement.

Ivy_Profen said:
i made made one of these decks. I used only 1 catcher and 3 plasma energy. No colress machine. I never found time to really want to use the plasma drop for a catcher, when i could put an grass energy instead. So it didnt really work well as catcher replacement.

Yeah that's why I'm not sure if I should keep Catcher maxed out... I'll look at the list and think about it.

Edit: -1 N, -1 DCE, +1 Catcher, +1 Super Rod

I'll be attaching at LEAST one Plasma energy to Lugia. Most likely more. And I don't like DCE since I'd like to have 2 Plasma energy on Lugia and I'd have to have at least one Grass on him so he isn't affected by HTL or Munna. Thanks to everyone for your help!!

Edit: -1 Ultra Ball +1 Plasma Ball

I really dont think Gensect Virizion on their own is a very good deck. They lose almost instantly to fire types. Mainly Victini Ex with Victory Piece. With the plasma badges, you have a weakness to the drifblims. Safeguard pokemon as well as mirrors would require you to have a G booster. The Trubbish deck would give you a lot of trouble. Turn 2 it can be hitting upwards of 100 damage, even more if you put on plasma badges, and it would be simple to move around silver mirror and bangle to cause even more trouble. Though you can G booster them to death, but having to waste 2 energy is just not going to be possible for 6 knock outs.

A blastoise deck could also give you some trouble if they manage to set up. Black Kyurem ex can do 200 damage consecutively with ease with blastoise and superior energy retrieval. While Genesect requires a lot of energy, and G booster to do the same.

I would suggest a few things. maybe plasma frigate to negate the weakness to fire. Tropius is a good grass pokemon. It can help set up early turns with return if you lack tropical beach. it can also murder the water pokemon in blastoise decks and only be a 1 prize attacker. I find tropius so good that if i have an open pokemon slot in a deck that runs some form of grass energy, its almost always the first pokemon that goes in.

You could also try a 2-2 Abomasnow since it does 80 and confuses and is also a water type that isnt an Ex or Plasma. It can greatly help against safeguard, silver mirror. You may think, why would i bother charging up this pokemon when it costs the same energy for genesect ex? Simply because of its typing, fact that it does not give up 2 prizes, and can hit through safeguard and silver mirror, and it can also help with confusing pokemon. It can also add silver bangle for 110 damage total, making 2HKOs on most Exs.

I havent really read the older posts. But why Mr Mime. It doesnt really help since both pokemon have high HP totals, it seems like a waste of space and possibly a starting pokemon that is just utterly terrible.

Ivy_Profen said:
I really dont think Gensect Virizion on their own is a very good deck. They lose almost instantly to fire types. Mainly Victini Ex with Victory Piece. With the plasma badges, you have a weakness to the drifblims. Safeguard pokemon as well as mirrors would require you to have a G booster. The Trubbish deck would give you a lot of trouble. Turn 2 it can be hitting upwards of 100 damage, even more if you put on plasma badges, and it would be simple to move around silver mirror and bangle to cause even more trouble. Though you can G booster them to death, but having to waste 2 energy is just not going to be possible for 6 knock outs.

A blastoise deck could also give you some trouble if they manage to set up. Black Kyurem ex can do 200 damage consecutively with ease with blastoise and superior energy retrieval. While Genesect requires a lot of energy, and G booster to do the same.

I would suggest a few things. maybe plasma frigate to negate the weakness to fire. Tropius is a good grass pokemon. It can help set up early turns with return if you lack tropical beach. it can also murder the water pokemon in blastoise decks and only be a 1 prize attacker. I find tropius so good that if i have an open pokemon slot in a deck that runs some form of grass energy, its almost always the first pokemon that goes in.

You could also try a 2-2 Abomasnow since it does 80 and confuses and is also a water type that isnt an Ex or Plasma. It can greatly help against safeguard, silver mirror. You may think, why would i bother charging up this pokemon when it costs the same energy for genesect ex? Simply because of its typing, fact that it does not give up 2 prizes, and can hit through safeguard and silver mirror, and it can also help with confusing pokemon. It can also add silver bangle for 110 damage total, making 2HKOs on most Exs.

I havent really read the older posts. But why Mr Mime. It doesnt really help since both pokemon have high HP totals, it seems like a waste of space and possibly a starting pokemon that is just utterly terrible.

I honestly want to keep it just VirGen... I'm definitely not doing Abomasnow it'll hurt my consistency. Mr. Mime is because I'm scared of Darkrai and Plasma snipes lol.

I think this deck is built very well, running switch over Skyarrow is an interesting idea.
I would really like to see a non-EX attacker so you can deal with safeguarders outside of G Booster. However, I think that is one of the biggest weaknesses of this deck. There just doesn't seem to be any really impressive non-EX attacker, especially when you compare it to something like Kyurem in plasma decks. Luckily safeguarders are not the most common thing in the world.

Conzipe said:
I think this deck is built very well, running switch over Skyarrow is an interesting idea.
I would really like to see a non-EX attacker so you can deal with safeguarders outside of G Booster. However I think that is one of the biggest weaknesses of this deck. There just doesn't seem to be any really impressive non-EX attacker, especially when you compare it to something like Kyurem i plasma decks. Luckily safeguarders are not the most common thing in the world.

More then likely if there are safeuarders I can G-Booster a bunch lol. There really aren't any non-EX pokemon I like... Thanks for the compliments! I went for max consistency.

G Booster a bunch isn't a very ideal solution however. Discarding 2 energy is a big deal in this deck since you will often times need another turn to emerald slash which you might not have time for especially if Virizion EX has been knocked out earlier. Which is why you preferably want to use it on the opponents big attackers with G Booster and not on a single price suicune/sigilyph that the opponent can just put down.
However I think it's just a metagame call if you decide to run something to deal with this problem or not. Right now I think not running a non-EX attacker is very respectable, but it might be needed in the future.

There is also a problem of an auto-loss if G Booster is priced, unless you're opponent benches some pokémon you can knock out to fish for it. It's good that chances are slim for that to happen.

Conzipe said:
G Booster a bunch isn't a very ideal solution however. Discarding 2 energy is a big deal in this deck since you will most likely need another turn to emerald slash which you might not have time for especially if Virizion EX has been knocked out earlier. Which is why you preferably want to use it on the opponents big attackers with G Booster and not on a single price suicune/sigilyph that the opponent can just put down.
However I think it's just a metagame call if you decide to run something to deal with this problem or not. Right now I think not running a non-EX attacker is very respectable, but it might be needed in the future.

There is also a problem of an auto-loss if G Booster is priced, unless you're opponent benches some pokémon you can knock out to fish for it. It's good that chances are slim for that to happen.

I'm pretty sure my local area doesn't have hardly any Safeguards. If I run into one it will probably have Latias-EX which I can booster.

Mr. Mime is rather pointless in this deck. The snipe damage isn't super big deal for this deck.

Also as the biggest issue for this deck is running out of energy. You really need more ways to get energy back into your deck or hand. Energy retrieval or more super rods are definitely needed if you want to rely so heavily on G booster. Not only that but this deck will also be super slow. There isnt much you can do between the 2 turns when Genesect uses G booster. Would you really just switch out of Genesect use Emerald slash, switch out of Virizion and use G booster, and the repeat the process?

What could help relieve the problem for this deck. While I thought it was a stupid idea at first. Is DCE. While it doesn't help Genesect reaching its first attack. it will allow you to use G booster in consecutive turns. As long as you discard the DCE instead of grass energy, you can always just attach another one next turn. Its a much better option than switching back and forth. It would also allow you more G boosters per game with the same energy count.

You also have to consider that someone might play lifedew on a safeguard pokemon. Then you would have to G booster, waste 2 energy, and take no prize. If that deck also runs sableye. You could have to G booster every turn and to beat the junk hunt if you hope to get prizes at all.

Another deck you have to watch out for is Porygon Z deck with Umbreons. Their 2 attackers, Dialga and Tornadus can both reach above 200 hp and can also carry max potions. At the same time Dialga can mill you 4 cards and 2HKO both of your pokemon and Tornadus can OHKO each of your pokemon. You would be either forced to G booster to lower their health and then hope they dont have a max potion. Or hit them 2-3 times with megalo cannon. Neither of which is ideal.

There is actually some relevant math the snipe damage creates against this deck.

In Darkrai/Garbodor you can knock out a Genesect/Virizion previously hit by Night Spear with a Dark Claw + Virbank + Laser. Or if it's hit by 2 Night Spears just a Dark Claw or Virbank + Laser will do the job.
Against plasma they need a lot less resources for a Kyurem to knock out one of your pokémon that was hit by Frost Spear. Just 2 Deoxys, a silver bangle, 1 Deoxys + laser or Virbank + Laser (if they still play that) will then do the job.
Even in the mirror it can be important. I've already been in a situation a few times where my opponent first Megalo Cannons one of my Genesects on the bench, then when that Genesect comes into the active spot and is hit by a direct Megalo Cannon it's set up for an Emerald Slash knock out. I've also seen someone play Bouffalant + Silver Bangle in VirGen, not quite sure how he worked that into the deck but it certainly made the Megalo Cannon bench damage really scary.

If it's relevant enough or not to actually play it is another question, but calling it 'pointless' is certainly an overstatement.

Well compared to having a secondary attacker that wouldnt have to discard energy to attack safeguard, mirror pokemon. I would call it not as important. Making many of your match ups much better. I mean sure include mr mime for those reasons. But its also a good idea to include a secondary attacker, even if its just one card more.

Conzipe said:
There is actually some relevant math the snipe damage creates against this deck.

In Darkrai/Garbodor you can knock out a Genesect/Virizion previously hit by Night Spear with a Dark Claw + Virbank + Laser. Or if it's hit by 2 Night Spears just a Dark Claw or Virbank + Laser will do the job.
Against plasma they need a lot less resources for a Kyurem to knock out one of your pokémon that was hit by Frost Spear. Just 2 Deoxys, a silver bangle, 1 Deoxys + laser or Virbank + Laser (if they still play that) will then do the job.
Even in the mirror it can be important. I've already been in a situation a few times where my opponent first Megalo Cannons one of my Genesects on the bench, then when that Genesect comes into the active spot and is hit by a direct Megalo Cannon it's set up for an Emerald Slash knock out. I've also seen someone play Bouffalant + Silver Bangle in VirGen, not quite sure how he worked that into the deck but it certainly made the Megalo Cannon bench damage really scary.

If it's relevant enough or not to actually play it is another question, but calling it 'pointless' is certainly an overstatement.

This.

Ivy_Profen said:
well compared to having a secondary attacker that wouldnt have to discard energy to attack safeguard, mirror pokemon. I would call it not as important. Making many of your match ups much better. I mean sure include mr mime for those reasons. But its also a good idea to include a secondary attacker, even if its just one card more.

But there really aren't any good non-EX attackers. I don't like Boufferlant or Tropius or Genesect rare... And for those Silver Mirrors I have 3 Scrappers (Changing the list)

Drop 1 Colress Machine for a Super Rod, as you will want to get more then just 3 grass energy back, if you Ultra Ball it away or have to Juniper it away you have the spare, also you don't want to really be using Colress Machine in this deck as it takes away from Genesect's ability.

Yo-yos said:
drop 1 colress machine for a super rod, as you will want to get more then just 3 grass energy back, if you ultra ball it away or have to juniper it away you have the spare, also you don't want to really be using colress machine in this deck as it takes away from genesects ability.

I want max Colress Machine to help improve my chance for T1 Emerald Slash. Plus I'm gonna most likely add Lugia-EX. I agree I need another Super Rod though.

Edit: -1 Tool Scrapper +1 Super Rod

Back