Writing Violet's Pokémon Black Randomlocke! [CLOSED]

VioletValkyrie

You're out of your mind.
Many thanks beforehand to PikaMasterJesi and thegrovylekid for convincing me this was a good idea and helping me get started, and decide some of my randomization rules for the run!

Hey Everyone, Violet here.
Since this is my first thread on the forums, I may as well explain what this is about.
Earlier tonight, while PikaMasterJesi and I were talking with thegrovylekid, who's currently doing a Pokémon Platinum Nuzlocke on her YouTube channel, I decided I want to do a Nuzlocke of a Gen 5 game, and while I'm already doing a Let's Play of White on my YouTube channel, I felt I should play Pokémon Black, and post it here, as I haven't created any content in the Ruins of Alph after the idea was suggested to me by a couple people.
I felt like a Randomlocke would be the most enjoyable for me as it's currently my favourite type of Nuzlocke challenge and the results are different every time you randomize, but it would also allow me lots of creative freedom to create my own story, while still acting as a playthrough.
Since this is a Randomlocke, the rules are as follows.
If any Pokémon on my team is fainted due to any means whatsoever during a battle, that Pokémon is considered dead. It must be rushed to a Pokémon Center as fast as possible to be released.
I cannot heal during battles. The only exceptions are berries and other held items that heal. I can heal any Pokémon outside of battle, however.
I cannot heal Status Conditions outside of battle, such as Paralysis or Poison.
I can only catch the very first Pokémon I encounter on any Route or Area I enter.
Pokémon must be nicknamed. I will take suggestions.
Dupes Clause is in effect, meaning if by some incredible luck, I run into a Pokémon after having caught one of the same species in the wild or obtaining it from a trade or gift, I have to skip it, and it does not count as my encounter for the area.
Shiny Clause is in effect. If I find a Shiny, I am allowed to use it, no matter what.
Gift Clause is in effect. I am allowed to use any Pokémon I obtain through any means except catching it.
Base Stats: Unchanged
Pokémon Abilities: Randomize
Pokémon Types: Unchanged
Pokémon Evolutions: Randomized
Starters: Random (Completely)
Static Pokèmon (Random (Legendary/Normal keep)
In-Game Trades: Yes (Both Change)
Move Data: Everything stays the same
Pokémon Movesets: Random (Completely)
Every Pokémon starts with 4 moves: No
Trainer's Pokémon: Random
Randomize Trainer Names: LOLYES
Wild Pokemon: Area 1-to-1 Mapping
Wild Pokémon Rule: Catch Em All Mode
Randomize Held Items: Yes
TM Moves: Unchanged
TM/HM Compatibility: Unchanged
Full HM Compatibility: Yes
Field Items: Randomized
Any other possible change not listed was left as-is.
I will be posting all my chapters as spoilers in this thread, along with notes at the bottom of each spoiler after the end and will comment when a new chapter is out, as it's the easiest way to save space.
I hope you all enjoy!

"Hi there! Welcome to the world of Pokémon!"
I looked around to see myself standing in an empty void, accompanied by a taller woman in what seemed to be a blue lab coat, holding an odd red and white orb in her hand, tossing it into the air, she continued.
“My name is Professor Juniper. Everyone calls me the Pokémon Professor!”
...Professor Juniper? I could have swore I've heard that name before... what's this about a... Poke-em-on? As the orb fell to what seemed to be the floor, it cracked open with a loud bang and a flash of light blinded my eyes. Looking back, a gray animal appeared and began waving at me, seemingly smiling. Shocked, I looked back at Professor Juniper with a wide-eyed expression, as she continued.
“That's right! This world is widely inhabited by mysterious creatures called Pokémon!”
...There are more of these things? It's kind of cute, actually. I don't see what's so mysterious about this one.
“Pokémon have mysterious powers. They come in many shapes and live in many different places.”
I opened my mouth. “There are more of these?”
...but I heard nothing. The voice I had produced hadn't even echoed into my own ears, nor the void I had found myself placed in. I tried again.
“We humans live happily with Pokémon! Living and working together, we complement each other.”
Professor Juniper seemed unfazed. Maybe I wasn't loud enough?
I screamed.
“We help each other out to accomplish difficult tasks.”
...Nothing. What's going on?
“Having Pokémon battle one another is particularly popular, and it deepens the bond between people and Pokemon.”
I guess the best I can do is just listen to her lesson. I can ask questions later, hopefully. What's this about Pokémon battling? That doesn't sound too ethical. But it sure sounds fun!
“And that is why I research Pokémon.”
Sounds like she's wrapping up.
“Well, that's enough from me... Could you tell me about yourself? Are you a boy? Or a girl?”
What kind of crazy question was that? I opened my mouth immediately, only to remember I seemed to have no voice.
I'm a...
...What am I?
I looked down to my legs. That is, if I had legs. Well, this was a disaster. But what am I?
I suppose I'm a girl.
As the thought entered my mind, I'd been blinded by another flash of light. As it faded, I looked up at Juniper to see if another Pokémon had appeared, but instead, saw her looking at me, confused. I guess I may as well try to answer the question.
“I'm a girl.”
And I heard it. It worked! I spoke!
Juniper nodded in delight and smiled at me, before continuing.
“You're a girl, right?”
I nodded. Finally, I got somewhere! I know who I am!
“I'd like to know your name. Please tell me.” What an easy question to answer. My name is...
...Do I have a name? Did I forget it? No, it's...
“Your name is Adeline?”
That sounds oddly familiar. I nodded.
“So your name's Adeline. What a wonderful name!”
I smiled. I suppose I'll be named Adeline from now on.
“Well then. I'm going to introduce you to your two best friends!”
I... have friends?
Out of nowhere, a landscape came into view, playing what seemed to be a slideshow of this young adult.
“This young woman is Scarlett. She can be a little difficult, but she's a very honest person.”
Very difficult? What does she mean by that?
The view shifted to the right to see a girl beside Scarlett.
“This young woman is Stacey. She's a little flighty, but she works very hard.”
I was shocked to see another girl come into the middle of the two, as they began to walk down a dirt road.
“I think you three have potential, so I'm going to give you a very, very important Pokémon.”
I'll... get a Pokémon? Together with my friends? This sounds exciting!
“Adeline!”
My eyes narrowed, smile turning into a confident grin.
“The moment you choose the Pokémon that will accompany you on your journey, your story will truly begin.”
...Journey? Story? But...
“During your journey, you will meet many Pokémon and people with different personalities and points of view!”
But what's this journey?! Many Pokémon? And people? Different personalities?!
“I really hope you find what is important to you in all of these travels...”
What's going on here?! What am I doing?!
“That's right! Befriend new people and Pokémon and grow as a person!
New..? But... I'm not ready yet! I need answers!
That is the most important goal for your journey!”
Professor Juniper, I don't understand! What...
“Let's go visit the world of Pokémon!”

…What am I?!
---
I apologize if things were a bit hard to follow. I do want to clear things up that Adeline suddenly found herself in the void with no body and no memories. She couldn't speak due to not having a body to speak with.
In my opinion, I feel like this was a good start, and it's a really great example of the creative freedom I stated I was able to express due to playing a Randomlocke, and how it won't just be a playthrough, but a story that follows along the game as time goes on, and there's a path to follow.
Also, due to the Trainer Name Changing in Randomization, Cheren's name was changed to Scarlett, so I decided to change the dialogue to fit the fact that this character is female. Bianca's was left unchanged, besides the name change to Stacey. However, everyone besides Juniper so far is a new character. Time for OC hate. From my side.
Starter choices: Archeops, Skiploom, Rayquaza.
Rayquaza obtained
Stacey obtains Skiploom
Rayquaza: Level 5 - Mold Breaker
Chatter, Ingrain
KO Skiploom with Chatter
Level up: Rayquaza - 6
Scarlett obtains Archeops
Rayquaza: Chatter, Archeops: Aerial Ace
Rayquaza: Chatter, Archeops: Moonlight
Rayquaza: Ingrain, Archeops: Drill Run
Rayquaza: Chatter, Archeops: Faint Attack
Rayquaza: Chatter, Archeops knocked out
Level up: Rayquaza - 7
Obtain: X-transceiver
Name Given: Rayquaza - Yamato
Obtain: Town Map
ENTER ROUTE 1
ROUTE 1 ENCOUNTER: Nidoqueen
Yamato: Chatter, Nidoqueen: Last Resort
Pokeball: Fail, Nidoqueen: Ancient Power
Pokeball: Success! Nidoqueen was Caught!
Name Given: Nidoqueen - Meyneth
ENTER ACCUMULA TOWN
Battle: N
VS Cubchoo, Lv 7
Yamato: Ingrain, Cubchoo: Dynamic Punch
Yamato: Hurts self, Cubchoo: Dynamic Punch
Yamato: Hurts self, Cubchoo: Dynamic Punch
Yamato: Chatter, Cubchoo: Dynamic Punch (miss)
Yamato: Hurts self, Cubchoo: Synthesis
Yamato: Chatter, Cubchoo: Dynamic Punch (miss)
Yamato: Chatter, Cubchoo knocked out
Level up: Yamato - 8
ENTER ROUTE 2
ROUTE 2 ENCOUNTER: Poliwrath
Switch: Meyneth, Poliwrath: Flail
Meyneth: Electroweb, Poliwrath: Flail
Meyneth: Electroweb, Poliwrath: Avalanche
Pokeball: Success!
Name Given: Poliwrath - PBJ
Item found: Fire Stone
Levels up: PBJ - 10
Levels up: Meyneth - 11
Battle: Stacey
VS Sentret, Lv 6
Meyneth: Ancient Power, Sentret: Yawn
Meyneth: Ancient Power, Potion used, Meyneth falls asleep
Switch: PBJ, Sentret: Bite
Sentret: Bite, PBJ: Avalanche, Sentret KO'd
VS Skiploom, Lv 7
Skiploom: Rock Climb, PBJ: Avalanche
Level up: PBJ - 11
Battle: Stacey, Win
ENTER STRAITON CITY
ENTER DREAMYARD
Battle: Lass Chloe
VS Carvanha, Lv 8
Yamato: Chatter, Carvanha KO'd
Level Up: Yamato, 11
VS Gothita, Lv 8
Yamato: Chatter, Gothita KO'd
Battle: Lass Chloe, Win
Battle: Youngster Florentino
VS Nosepass, Lv 7
Yamato: Chatter, Nosepass: Crunch
Yamato: Chatter, Nosepass KO'd
VS Skarmory, Lv 7
Yamato: Chatter, Skarmory: Bolt Strike
Yamato: Chatter, Skarmory KO'd
VS Lickitung, Lv 7
Yamato: Chatter, Lickitung: Hyper Fang
Yamato: Chatter, Lickitung KO'd
Level Up: Yamato - 12
Battle : Youngster Florentino, Win
GIFT CLAUSE: DREAMYARD: Whismur, Lv 10
Name Given: Whismur, Mandragora
Item Found: Black Belt
ENTER STRIATON CITY
Battle: Scarlett
VS Maractus, Lv 8
Yamato: Chatter, Maractus KO'd
VS Archeops, Lv 8
Yamato: Chatter, Archeops: Aerial Ace
Yamato: Chatter, Archeops KO'd
Level Up: Yamato - 13
Battle: Scarlett, Win
Item Found: Oran Berries
ENTER STRIATON CITY GYM
Item Found: Fresh Water
Battle: Waiter Webster
VS Azurill, Lv 11
Yamato: Chatter, Azurill KO'd
Battle: Waiter Webster, Win
Switch: Mandragora to Front
Battle: Waitress Jill
VS Moltres, Lv 10
Moltres: Mega Kick, Mandragora: Sludge Bomb
Switch: Meyneth, Moltres: Gyro Ball
Meyneth: Ancient Power, Moltres: Mega Kick
Meyneth: Ancient Power, Moltres KO'd
Level Up: Meyneth, 12
Level Up: Mandragora, 11
Move Learned: Mandragora, Frenzy Plant
VS Carvanha, Level 10
Carvanha: Ice Shard, Meyneth: Electroweb, Carvanha KO'd
Level Up: Meyneth, 13
~ Quick Heal ~
GYM LEADER BATTLE: VS LEADER WEBSTER
VS AZELF, LV 12
Azelf traces Mandragora's Rock Head
Azelf: Hidden Power, Super Effective, Mandragora Dies
Go, Yamato!
Yamato breaks the Mold!
Azelf: Clamp, Yamato clamped, Yamato: Chatter, Yamato clamped for damage
Azelf: Clamp, Yamato: Chatter, Azelf KO'd
Level Up: Yamato, 14
VS PALKIA, LV 14
Palkia: Low Kick, Crit! Yamato: Chatter
Palkia: Tri Attack, Yamato: Chatter
Switch: PBJ, Palkia: Tri Attack, PBJ Frozen
Switch: Meyneth, Palkia: Low Kick, Crit!
Palkia: Tri Attack, Crit! Meyneth Dies
Go! PBJ!
Palkia: Tri Attack, PBJ dies
Go! Yamato!
Palkia: Low Kick, Yamato dies

Out of Pokemon!
Game Over

Adeline scurried to a Pokemon Center, protecting the injured Pokemon from any further harm...

Wow. So the run ended this early? Having that Palkia crit pretty much my entire team and have the Tri Attack get the freeze on PBJ hurt so much, and I was really pissed to have that Hidden Power be the one type it would need to be to OHKO Mandragora.
Unfortunately, due to the run ending so soon, I was unfortunately not able to write in the ending I had hoped to write for this series, which was planned to be a suicide any time after the Nimbasa Ferris Wheel event. There was so much I had planned for this story-driven game and I'm honestly quite disappointed that everything didn't work out. The idea of doing a randomlocke is something I really like and will definitely go back to, but for now I think I'll just sit at my desk and come up with ideas so I can bring something to the table.
I really do want to thank you for reading this, even though the void was really the only good thing to come out of it. Hopefully, I can come up with some new idea and bring a pencil down onto paper.

If you've stumbled across this old thread, just know that it's currently closed, and will not update.

For the time being, until next time. Look forward to my future projects.

Cheers.
~ VioletValkyrie

Last edited:
Hey Excal; welcome to Ruins! Glad to have you around. It's the write place to be, y'know? :U

I haven't actually read a Pokémon playthrough in a while, much less one of my favorite game ever, so I'm naturally curious to see where this goes. :p I've also heard much about your writing, and I can't wait to see it in action.

The first chapter is nicely done; a creative take on the standard Pokémon intro. I like how you refer to it as a void, and make some brilliant insights into what it might be like for the player character to not even have a body and name before the player gives them one. I'm interested to see where you take this further. Rationalizing the inexplicable things Game Freak does for their games is one of the most fun, and most challenging parts of writing anything Pokémon-based, imo. ;)

Two things I'd like to suggest regarding formatting:
  • One, you might like to fix the larger-than-normal text in the rest of the post by highlighting it and then clicking the "Remove Formatting" button in the upper right (looks like a "T" with a subscript "x").
  • And two, your annotations might fit better in a separate spoiler-within-a-spoiler at the bottom, so it doesn't look quite as much part of the story.
Like I said, I'm really excited to see this unfold. Black Version is cool, Randomlockes are cool, your writing is cool ... this should certainly be awesome to read. :)

Update:
Funny thing. I've decided uploading the notes I made for this first arc would be the best way to do this as writing out all of the notes I had taken originally for this arc seemed like it wasn't really worth it. The reason will become clear after reading the first arc, but enjoy, nonetheless.
Notes for Arc I will be up in just a minute.

Update:
Funny thing. I've decided uploading the notes I made for this first arc would be the best way to do this as writing out all of the notes I had taken originally for this arc seemed like it wasn't really worth it. The reason will become clear after reading the first arc, but enjoy, nonetheless.
Notes for Arc I will be up in just a minute.

Notes and Thoughts for Arc I are up! Enjoy!

You could restart the Locke - i still want to see the story you planned out.
I feel like I could and might want to, but since I've already spoiled the ending, I may as well move onto something else and make something new. I may revisit it someday, but for now I'll just be doing other stuff.

Back