Vileplume (Ex: Holon Phantoms)

Holy Star

Pokémon TCG player and card faker
017.jpg

Average Unlimited Rating: 4.58/10

Average Modified Rating: 6/10

Average Limted Rating: 8.1/10

Hey, today’s review is going to be over the new Vileplume D from EX: Holon Phantoms.  Now let’s get the review underway!

The Card:
   The card’s HP really isn’t that great for a Stage 2 Rare-Holo Pokemon, being at 90.  I would expect it to be around 100-110 or so.  
   His type, Psychic-Metal, is very useful since both are very powerful and useful types to have.  Many popular cards are weak to Psychic, and it gets a Defensive boost from its Metal side.
   Its Pokepower will be the main reason that people will play it, and there’s a reason to it.  The Power allows it to flip a coin, once per turn.  If heads, then you may choose one of the Defending Pokemon and it is now Poisoned.  This can be very useful, because Poisoning is always nice.  
   The attack, Poltergeist, does 30 for a Psychic and a Metal energy, and does 10 more damage for however many Trainer cards are in your Opponent’s hand.  This can be very powerful, as long as you know when to use it.  
   Its weakness is to Psychic, and that is standard for it is a Psychic type, but that just makes its HP a bigger factor to remember.  That’s why you need to try and keep it on the bench.  It doesn’t have any Resistance so nothing there.  It’s Retreat Cost, 1, is very good considering it is an over-sized flower.  Usually Vileplumes have Retreat Cost at two, but not this time.  That is very good for this card, since it needs it.

Advantages:
   First of all, it’s types.  Psychic/Metal is very good, because they are both very strong right now.  Many cards are weak to Psychic, and Metal allows it to get the advantage of Metal energies.  
   Then it has an amazing Pokepower, which if you flip a heads, allows you to Poison any of your Opponent’s Pokemon.  This can help you out a lot, and if you flip a heads most of the time, it could be useful for you.  
  It’s attack can be on both Advantages and Disadvantages because it has the chance of being very good, but it can also be very bad.  But, since this is the Advantages, let’s talk about the Positives.  Since your opponent can have up to 59 trainer cards in their deck, this can possibly do 620 damage for two energies.  But that’ll never happen, but it can still do 100 damage for two energies if you get lucky.  That’s good in my book, so it can go in the Advantages.
   It has a great Retreat Cost for being a Stage 2, so that’ll help a lot as well.

Disadvantages:
   It has a bad amount of HP.  90 for a Rare-Holo Stage 2 isn’t very good.  It should be at least 100, maybe 110.
   Its attack can also be bad, however.  Doing only 30 damage for two energies, one being a Metal, is pretty bad.  If your Opponent has zero Trainers in their hand, it’s pretty much useless.  
   It also has a bad Weakness, but since it’s a Psychic type, there’s pretty much no way of getting out of it.  But it is still bad, because Mew EX and a lot of other cards like Gengar LM are popular right now, which hurts this a lot.
Analysis:
   What I would do to make the card better is raise it’s HP to 100.  This will allow it to at least take a hit by a Psychic Pokemon, though if it’s a very big one, Vileplume D will be knocked out.
   I’d also make his attack cost two Psychic energies, instead of one Psychic and one Metal energy.  That makes it much easier to attack, instead of slaving over trying to get a Metal energy.  
   That’s about it.  I would’ve put the Psychic Weakness in, but I thought that that would probably never happen, so I didn’t.

Art:
   The artist is named Mitsuhiro Arita, one of my personal favorites.  I can’t really explain why, it just looks so peaceful.  The blended colors of Purple and Red, with the background look very good.  
   I’m not sure of the reason for the “tilt” to the card, but it works.  
   The background is simple, trees and grass.  But, that’s where I’d imagine a Vileplume to be, so I’m fine with that.
   The actual portrayal of Vileplume, in the shade, is very nice.  It’s smiling, which makes you smile, and it seems as if it was waving it at you.  
   I especially like the legs of Vileplume, since the color is smudged and they are long and slender.  They seem perfect in my opinion, for the way I would believe it to walk.
The only tying I don’t like about it is the arch behind it, if that is what it is.  It doesn’t really “fit in” to the other surroundings, so it doesn’t look as good.

Art: 8/10

Card Combos and Strategies:

Vileplume d HP/Vileplume EX/Mew EX HP/Magcargo DX:
   Now the basic strategy of this is simple really.  Vileplume, Magcargo and Mew EX HP sit on the bench and Vileplume EX attacks.
   Basically, Vileplume D sits on the bench and continuously Poisons, and Mew EX looks at the hand.  Vileplume EX attacks and holds their Trainers in their hand.  Once you see with Mew EX that they have a lot of Trainers in their hands, then retreat for Vileplume D and Poltergeist for a whole heap of damage.  Magcargo DX searches cards.  

Could also have Weezing DX to use Liability as well.

Vileplume D/Ariados UF:
   This can also have Flareon EX in it.  Basically just inflict Status Conditions and attack with Ariados UF.

Overall:
   Vileplume D has an awesome Pokepower, which is its best point.  It also has a good attack, at times, which makes it even better.  Here is my scores.

Limited/Draft:  8/10  If you get the complete line, it is always nice.  Even if you don’t get a Metal Energy and can’t attack, auto-poison is always nice.  It can even win you games, so if you get the line, play it.

Unlimited:  5/10  Since Vileplume EX is extremely popular in Unlimited, this can also be a nice little tech to add insult to injury and Poison your Opponent’s Pokemon while they are Locked.  It also has a nice attack considering the Trainers in your Opponent’s hand.
The only downside is if you don’t use Vileplume EX then it’s worthless.

Modified:  5/10  It really isn’t that great in Modified.  The only thing that I think it could be used for is a new Liability.  That’s pretty much the only thing I’d use it for.

I hope you enjoyed my article on Vileplume D from EX: Holon Phantoms.  I’ll talk to you next time, see ya!

Hey, is that a Black Rose???  Yes, it's Vileplume d from Holon Phantoms...
What a surprise for the COTW....

Well, lets look again at its Stages of Evolution....

Oddish

073.jpg

Well, this one is from Holon Phantoms. It has 40HP which isn't the Average HP for Oddish. It is a Water Type. This is really unusual, but there's a good part. There are very few Pokemon with Water Resistance. Its weakness to Fire can be countered as Oddish holds a Water Type. Most Fire Types are weak to Water. Therefore, 2X the damage can be done. No resistance is normal for Oddish. Furthermore it has 2 Solid attacks. The first one allows you to deal 10 damage for 1 Energy of any type. The second requires a Water Energy, also dealing 10 damage, while removing 1 damage counter from Oddish. 1 Retreat Cost is also common as Oddish is a "light" Pokemon.

Next we move on to a Pokemon, which is known as a Grimer or a Muk, with Legs....

Gloom

042.jpg

70 HP is a average for a Stage 1 pokemon. Being a Psychic type is completely Bizzare. We've seen Colourless Types having Weakness to Colourless types, and Lightning Pokemon with Lightning Weakness such as Zapdos EX. So, Having a Psychic Weakness and a Psychic Type isn't really Surprising. No Resistance is awful, while having 1 Retreat Cost is Sweet. For 1 Energy, it can do 20 damage. Really solid and low on attack Costs. For 2 Energy, at least 1 Being a Psychic, 20 damage can be done, and prevents your opponent from retreating.

Next, we go on to.... The Ultimate Black rose

Vileplume

017.jpg

Well, 90 HP is Really, Really bad for a Stage 2. But, the fact that Vileplume d is a pokemon that shares a Metal Type, it can reduce damage with Metal Energy attached to it. Psychic Type is also again, unusual, but not Surprising. Its Poke-Power, Poison Pollen is one of my Favourites in the previous times. Allowing the Defending Pokemon to be inflicted by Poison with just a Flip of a coin. But, that's not the good part. What's Better is that it's cumalative, which gives you a 75% chance of a heads with 4 Vileplume d in play. It ony has 1 attack which is no good cos' Amnesia can disable Poltergeist, making it weak. Poltergeist needs 1 Psychic Energy, and 1 Metal Energy, which is quite Troublesome. It allows you to Look at your opponent's hand, allowing you to see your opponent's plan on his or her turn. It has a base damage of 30, and can add 10 damage for EACH trainer card in your opponent's hand. Since many decks have over 23 Trainers, there's a very high possibility that your opponent has at least 5 Trainers. Weakness to Psychic is quite dangerous here as Espeon EX and Gengar are heavily played in the Meta-game. 1 Retreat Cost isn't really much of a burden as it can be retrieved with many trainers like Energy Recycle System and Power Tree.

Combos.

Poison Liability

You could Poison the defending Pokemon with Poison Pollen, including you get heads, and then use liability. The Defending Pokemon will have 10 HP left, and get knocked out by Poison, while the Weezing you used have 20 HP due to the usage of Energy Root.

Ariados and Vileplume

Well, basically doing 40 Damage consistantly by Poisoning the Defending Pokemon, and using Ariados's attack to do damage. Misdreavus from LM can also be used.

Mew EX(HP) and Vaporeon EX

Using Mew EX(HP) to look at your opponent's hand, you also can also ruin your opponent's hand wih Vaporeon EX. Also using Psycho Vision, you can determine the Amount of Trainers your oppponent has in hand, and decide whether to use Poltergeist or not.

Ratings

Unlimited - 2/10

As said before, Delta Pokemon are rarely used in Unlimited. But, combined with Dark Vileplume, you can counter Sui-Toise with a Great starting hand.

Modified - 7/10

Well, loads of Trainers in decks in this format, and a lot more combos, with less broken cards.

Limited - 9/10

If you get at least a 1-1-1 Vileplume line along with Holon Castform or Metal Energy, I highly Encourage playing it.

Overall - 8/10

Well, has great Poke-Power and Attack, but it's the HP that's the Problem here.

Well, that's it for this week's COTW.

I love that card, and I just helped zwelgbelg make a deck with it
THE CARD
Psychic/Grass: good against psychic and ice types, but nothing special, really, metal enables it to use the metal energy effect, that can be really useful to stop some damage.
90HP: aww, that's bad, a stage2 with only 90HP is bad, well, he can be a good bench-sitter, but I wouldn't keep him active for long, you really need metals to make sure he doesn't get 1HKO'd.
Poké-power: well, poison from the bench is always a nice extra, maybe the coin flip makes it difficult, but, yeah, poison without energy usage from the bench is super.
Attack1: you know, it might come in handy sometime, for 2 energies it can do up to a lot of damage, well, it's not really that great, but some combos can be found.
W, R and RC: weakness against itself, well, strangely enough almost all not-δ psychics have weakness to psychic because of ghost being psychic, but vileplume had a type-change and its normal weakness its psychic, so it became like a normal psychic card, so it's not that bad. 1 retreat cost is always handy, nothing special.

COMBOS
- megabloss: combo with meganium UF and vileplume δ HP, roselia and bellossem LM. Don't act surprised, use vileplume to not give your opponent benefits from meganium's attack, do up to 80 damage with meganium and keep on healing him with roselia and bellossem. It really works.
- ariaplume: I don't really see this being played, but, well, poison from the bench so your opponent has a special condition, then attack with ariados.
- psycho poltergeist: check how many trainers your opponent has in his/her hand with mew ex HP, and use poltergeist if he has a lot.
- belloplume: use bellossem δ HP to copy his attack, so vileplume stays on the bench and can't be stopped from poisoning.

well, that's all for this super-good HP card, so:
modified: 7/10: nice, can be really good
limited: 8,5/10: well, some good combos can be made here
unlimited: 2,5/10: I can't really see this becoming something

Hiya,

Today’s COTW is about another new card…It is Vileplume Delta from Holon Phantoms! This card, has a lot of abilities that makes it a great card. Even I have created a bunch of combo for this card. As usual, let’s see the card first.

HP: 90
-Yes, very very low for a stage 2, but remember, it is a Metal type. That could make up of the low HP. Furthermore, as a Delta Species, there’s a lot of stadiums that can be comboed with this card.

Poke-Power : Poison Pollen
-Auto Poison if heads. Very useful for locking Poke-Powers with the right cards. Good for adding damage on desperate times.^^

Attacks:
[P] [M] Poltergeist 30
-I love Poltergeist, but the problem on Vileplume is, the base damage is too low. But, I think it’s worth it for only two energies. Great for a T2 surprise attack. Good use with Double Rainbow Energy too.

Weakness: [P]
-The only psychic decks widely used that I can think of is Metro varients and Gengar. Both are easy kill for Vileplume, so becareful. Use protective orb if needed.

Retreat cost: [C]
-1 retreat cost is really great for a stage 2 Pokemon. Can really help you in tight spot.

Combos

Poisonous Liability:
-My creation…Use Poison Pollen on the defending Pokemon, have weezing attached a Energy Root, and Liability for an easy KO. Very reliable deck. It can be better than the other 3 liability variants.

Vileplume Lock:
-Well…a new combo I just thought. Use an evolved Wobuffett and Poison the active Pokemon using the Poison Pollen. The defending Pokemon cannot retreat and KO’d of Poisoning.

Ariados/Gulpin:
-Use Poison Pollen, an then use Ariados’s or Gu;pin attack that involves Special Conditions on the defending Pokemon.

Final Rating:
Unlimited: 9/10
Comboed with Vileplume ex and Slowking, this card rules the Unlimited format.

Modified: 8/10
Very good in unlimited, if comboed properly. Special Conditions can really help if used wisely.

That’s all for today’s Card Of the Week. Hope to see you again,

Cya.

Today’s card review will be Vileplume d from holon phantoms. Firstly, 90 HP is very low for a stage two pokemon. Other than that, its attack, Poltergeist is not so eye catching. However, its poke-power is worth for players to peek at this card. Its poke-power has an ability to poison the defending if flipped heads. Thus, Vileplume d can be a powerful card to be added into your arsenal if your main attacker does not cause any special condition to the defending pokemon.

There are players trying it with liability Weezing. Although it works, from my observation, burning liability and acid liability are better. Other combo that works with Vileplume d is with Bellosom HP and Mew ex HP. First of all, use Mew ex’s psychic vision to check opponent’s hand. If he has many trainer cards in his hand; you have Bellossom to copy Vileplume d’s Poltergeist. Otherwise, you can just use Bellossom’s aqua flower attack or copy attacks from Gloom, Vileplume ex and Oddish. Hence, most of the time you may want to keep Vileplume d on your bench since it has low HP. So, you attack with Bellosom while Vileplume d sit on the bench to poison the defending pokemon. As I said just now, most of the attacks which deal huge damage do not bring status effect to the defending. Thus, Vileplume d works with any pokemon that can deal huge or fast damage such as Exeggutor. Vileplume d‘s poison pollen poke power not only helps knock out the defending faster but stop the defending’s poke power as well. If you have a bench full with delta pokemon, Exeggutor does 70 damages with delta circle. Hence, Vileplume helps increase the damage by poisoning the defending pokemon.

In current format, delta pokemon still hardly survives because most players have Battle Frontier in their deck to lock Pidgeot. At the same time, Battle frontier blocks vileplume d’s power as well. So maybe we have to wait till the next format, dx on, which Pidgeot will gone, then there will has less Battle Frontier.  

Finally, Vileplume d’s low HP can be knocked out easily by your opponent. Moreover, its poke-power requires flip while Poltergeist cannot do huge damage. So I will give Vileplume d a rating of
3 out of 10 in unlimited;
8 out of 10 in limited; and
4 out of 10 in current format.
Well, that is all. See you next time. Cheers.

Today's COTD Review is d Vileplume.

The Card

Delta Vileplume is a very nice card with a few drawbacks. First off it's 90 HP is the absolute lowest HP for a stage 2 pokemon. 110 HP would be way better. It has a weakness to Psychic which isn't too bad, just watch out for Espeon ex and Gengar. Vileplume also has no resistance and 1 retreat cost. What is nice about this card is that it's Psychic and Metal type which means it can take advantage of having Metal energies on it. His Poke-Power is Dark Crobat's Power only Vileplume's Power is a coin flip. I love his attack Poltergeist, 30 damage plus 10 more damage for every Trainer card in your opponent's hand.
I think his only drawback is his low HP.

Analysis

The Poke-Power is nice, the attack is great for the energy cost, and it takes advantage of Metal energies. The weakness can be taken care of easily with Protective Orb. It's always nice to have a resistance, oh well, and having 1 retreat cost is great. The only thing that is really wrong with this card is it's extremely low HP.

Combos

Delta Vileplume would go great with the Holon Phantoms Bellossom and Mew ex. Bellossom would use Vileplume's attack while Vileplume could use it's Power on the bench. Mew ex lets you look at your opponent's hand to see if Poltergeist would do a lot of damage. You could also throw in a Hidden Legends Bellossum to heal your Pokemon.

Rating

Unlimited: 6/10 Could be teched in with Vileplume ex decks.

Modified: 5/10 No very good combos as of yet but there are 2 more Delta sets coming out, so who knows.

Limited: 7/10 The Poke-Power can win you matches. (I've seen it)

Back