• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Vikavolt GX/Decidueye with Unsung Gumshoos GX

Metallic Stick

Lonely Metal User
I've always been a fan of Gumshoos GX, and now, he's my go-to Pokemon for difficult games. Yet, he isn't the star of this deck. In the upcoming Guardian's Rising set, Vikavolt will make an appearance as a GX, at a glance, Vikavolt GX looks like something to be ignored, but after doing some long testing against friends, I've found Vikavolt's partner in crime.

Do note that this is a prototype deck that is missing some pieces to finish it and has filled cards for the time being.

Pokemon-20
1x Komala (Guardian's Rising 114/145)
2x Patrat (Guardian's Rising 107/145)
1x Watchog (Guardian's Rising 108/145)
3x Rowlet (SM 9/149)
3x Dartrix (SM 10/149)
2x Decidueye (SM 11/149)
2x Yungoos (SM 109/149)
1x Gumshoos GX (SM 110/149) I plan on getting another one and replace filler!
2x Grubbin (SM 13/149)
2x Charjabug (SM 14/149)
1x Vikavolt GX (Guardian's Rising 134/145) I plan on getting another one and replacing filler!

Trainers-20
4x Nest Balls (SM 123/149)
3x Hau (SM 120/149)
2x Lillie (SM 122/149)
2x Hala (Guardian's Rising 126/145)
2x Rare Candy (SM 129/149)
2x Energy Recycler (Ancient Origins 72/98)
1x Here Comes Team Rocket! (Evo 113/108)
1x N (BW100)
1x Timer Ball (SM 134/149)
1x Special Charge (Steam Siege 105/114)
1x Aether Paradise Conservation Area (Guardian's Rising 116/145)

Energy-20
4x Double Colorless Energy
6x Lightning Energy
10x Grass Energy

So I'll start with the Trainers first.

I don't have a Town Map so... yeah...
APCA (Aether blah blah blah) is there to keep my benched grass basics and active grass basic alive just a little longer to push the match on. Not really needed but when in a slight pincj, extremely helpful. N is to shuffle up, of course, I want to keep the odds predictable since Illima is a little finicky in the deck, the more cards you have early on helps accelerate and level the playing field, and to prevent a deck out (and you'll see the importance after a certain attack), Energy Recycler will make sure to put back lost basic energy while Special Charge will return my lost special energy, which is always helpful. Hala is self explanatory, getting more cards after using a GX attack, which is what Vikavolt is gonna be used for. Lillie is also self explanatory, Nest Ball as well, Timer Ball to grab Vikavolt and Decidueye, Hau for those pinches, and Rare Candy to get going quickly.

Decidueye is a heavy hitter, but it also is great for stalling when it gives out one prize. You want to get a Decidueye ready as soon as possible or get a Rowlet all pumped up for the evolution. Koala is a filler card, along with the Patrat and Watchog, but Watchog for scrutinize is absolutely great when you toss out a key card in the opponent's deck, and could cause them to work for that card, which gives you the opening to do any sort of disruption, which we all love. Gumshoos is our lookout for any Ns, Illimas, or a great draw from Lillie, we want to see what they have so we can plan ahead, which is also why I want to get another Gumshoos for the deck to make it a little solid than what it is right now. Now for the star of the deck; Vikavolt GX! This card has two attacks and the GX attack.

For one lightning, you do 50, but you can attach an energy (it only says energy card so...) from the discard pile to the pokemon, which is great after a Team Skull Grunt, and it introduces energy back into the game. It also charges, haha, the attack Super Zap Cannon, which does 180 and requires you to discard 2 energy. You're doing the base 180 that could take out weaker GXs (Tarous GX anyone?) after a Charge and a majority of Ex's, and going for two Charges and a Super Zap Cannon takes out Gumshoos GX and any bulkier GXs in the game. Not only that, but it takes one lightning energy and three colorless, so get rid of energy that isn't lightning and charge away! And for the GX attack... Gigatron GX, the attack does 60 damage to everyone one of your opponent's benched pokemon... we are already taking out weak basic pokemon or have them close to dying. The deck revolves around Vikavolt getting out on the field, since I only have one at the moment, I believe getting three in there would fix any of the deck's flaws, which I do plan on getting more of, but right now, it's a prototype that has a plan, but needs true fine tuning.

Any suggestions (No VS Seekers, a personal philosphy of mine) or tips to strengthen the deck would be absolutely helpful!

I like the idea of Vikavolt being in a deck, he's always been one of the cooler Pokémon. ;)

Here some ideas on things you might want to change:

I'd almost definitely replace the Hau for Professor Sycamore and increase your count on N. Drawing seven cards or using an N is almost always better than drawing three cards.

I'd also decrease the energy account, if you do use Professor Sycamore and N it becomes much easier to draw lots of cards, so energy are less difficult to get out into play, probably your best bet is to keep all of the lightning a double colorless energy, but remove the grass energy and use a different Pokémon, besides Decidueye, to be your stall, probably a basic Pokémon

You could also remove Komala and the Patrat. After losing the energy, Komala, Patrat, and Decidueye line up it'd free you up 21 cards to put in your deck to make Vikavolt more powerful.

My other suggestion would be to remove Aether Paradise Stadium, because it only effects basic grass and lighting Pokémon, you could replace it with either another stadium, or a way to remove stadium cards.

I hope this helps :)

I like the idea of Vikavolt being in a deck, he's always been one of the cooler Pokémon. ;)

Here some ideas on things you might want to change:

I'd almost definitely replace the Hau for Professor Sycamore and increase your count on N. Drawing seven cards or using an N is almost always better than drawing three cards.

I'd also decrease the energy account, if you do use Professor Sycamore and N it becomes much easier to draw lots of cards, so energy are less difficult to get out into play, probably your best bet is to keep all of the lightning a double colorless energy, but remove the grass energy and use a different Pokémon, besides Decidueye, to be your stall, probably a basic Pokémon

You could also remove Komala and the Patrat. After losing the energy, Komala, Patrat, and Decidueye line up it'd free you up 21 cards to put in your deck to make Vikavolt more powerful.

My other suggestion would be to remove Aether Paradise Stadium, because it only effects basic grass and lighting Pokémon, you could replace it with either another stadium, or a way to remove stadium cards.

I hope this helps :)

Thanks!

The Komala and Patrat line are fillers for now, I actually only have this one N, and I don't have any Professor Sycamores within my collection (oddly).

Are there any basic pokemon you could suggest? I might change the deck from this bothersome Grass/Lightning and pair it up with Gyarados EX since I have 2 of them, and push in some Rough Seas to replace APCA. I found it odd how the card counts were even in the deck, it made me chuckle a little, but I do want to lower the energy in the deck, and since Vikavolt has Charge, get some Energy Switches in there to move them around.

I might put in Rattata and Ratticate >.> We can still be mean, no?

Thanks!

The Komala and Patrat line are fillers for now, I actually only have this one N, and I don't have any Professor Sycamores within my collection (oddly).

Are there any basic pokemon you could suggest? I might change the deck from this bothersome Grass/Lightning and pair it up with Gyarados EX since I have 2 of them, and push in some Rough Seas to replace APCA. I found it odd how the card counts were even in the deck, it made me chuckle a little, but I do want to lower the energy in the deck, and since Vikavolt has Charge, get some Energy Switches in there to move them around.

I might put in Rattata and Ratticate >.> We can still be mean, no?
Possibly Dedenne, for energy distribution, or maybe Tapu Koko or the GX for fighting.

A few thoughts for your consideration:
  • After some review, your deck seems to have too many "moving parts" which ill require too much precious time to setup, IMO.
  • Komala, is a "filler" card, and its Ability (if not negated by your opponent) will put the defending Pokémon to sleep when an energy is attached to Komala. I'd suggest replacing Komala with Spinda (SUM) whose attack (for C energy cost) will inflict 30 damage AND confuse the defending Pokémon. IMO, this Spinda is far more effective since no Ability is used, the attack inflicts damage and auto-Confuses,multiple energy would be required to be attached in order to activate Komala's Ability multiple times, and lastly, Spinda Retreat Cost is only C, not CC for Komala.
  • The 2-1 Watchdog line seems unneeded. IMO, Bunnelby (PRC 121), Tapu Koko (non-GX), Tauros GX and/or Turtonator GX would be far more effective and faster to get into play and attacking.
  • With Gumshoos GX Ability, why not further disrupt your opponent's hand by running Delinquent and/or Team Skull Grunt? By the way, if Decidueye GX is your VikaVolt GX's "partner in crime," do you really need Gumshoos GX??
  • 20 energy seem very excessive. These counts should be trimmed to accommodate more useful Pokémon (e.g., +1-1-1 Vikavolt GX, +1 Decidueye GX) and or Trainers (e.g., Olympia, Professor's Letter, Brock's Grit).
I hope you find these comments helpful.

Back