kyogre-primal.gif
rayquaza-mega.gif

suicune.gif
manectric-mega.gif
crobat.gif
mienshao.gif
B68PonOCcAAsip1.jpg

Intro/Summary:

Now that I'm a competitive tutor on the forums here, I figured what better way to start things off than with a RMT. This is currently the pride and joy of all my VGC teams to date all 4 of them. Unfortunately I couldn't find a way to theme this team like in my other RMTs, so it's a little less flamboyant than my usual RMTs.

After placing second in my first VGC 16 tournament (with a Primal Groudon team), I noticed several unorthodox strategies that proved rather effective. A passing mention went to Kyogre possibly being viable with Mega Rayquaza support (essentially that Delta Stream removing primal weather tipped the scales). Turns out that the rumor was not only correct, it was just the tip of the metaphorical iceberg. I was able to develop this team rather quickly, and after only a few minor tweaks (and a reasonable amount of prediction) it has proven devastating to every P.Don team I've faced - as well as threatening both other Kyogre teams as well as the several solid non-weather teams I've come across. This team has proven to work extremely well and net me a first place win at a tournament on April 16th this year.

The Team:

kyogre-primal.gif

Kyogre @ Blue Orb
Trait: Drizzle -> Primordial Sea
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Origin Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Thunder
- Protect

All hail Fail Whale: destroyer of worlds; the King of Ubers returns once more. True, by himself, this fast Kyogre set loses the weather war (and that's actually intentional) and thus is nomally crippled by the inability to use Origin Pulse. On the other hand, Modest Ice Beam can still 2HKO most Groudon before they 2HKO with 'preci-miss' blades due to being faster. Protect functions as the VGC staple that it is, as well as easing prediction in many cases. Thunder lets me 1-2HKO other Kyogre who are usually slower (trying to at least speed tie Groudon in hopes of getting rain up) and put pressure on flying and other water types. As the next mon illustrates, the lower accuracy for Thunder in sun never really comes into play while the extra damage gets some key KOs

rayquaza-mega.gif

Rayquaza @ Life Orb
Trait: Air Lock -> Delta Stream
EVs: 4 HP / 244 Atk / 36 SAtk / 4 SDef / 220 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Earth Power
- Dragon Ascent
- Extreme Speed
- Tailwind

This, gentlemen, is what makes Kyogre work. Interestingly enough, needing Delta Stream is a misconception (though it certainly works). Just Airlock/Cloud Nine is enough to nullify the effects of even Primal Weather. It amuses me to no end when I have Kyogre (and, say... Suicune) in play and the opposing Groudon sits pretty in its sun thinking it's relatively safe. All I have to do is swap regular Rayquaza in as a partner and Kyogre can both OHKO Groudon and cripple its ally - all without giving Groudon a chance to even make a move. Rayquaza, here, rarely even Mega-evolves (leaving the option to Mega my Manectric - unless, of course, Manectric isn't selected for that round). Earth Power actually does a significant chunk to Groudon (55% to almost 90% depending on Groudon's set) and is a backup option in case something goes wrong with Kyogre/Origin Pulse. Dragon Ascent not only leaves the Mega option open, but it also is pretty much the best Flying STAB 'Quaza gets. ESpeed gets those handy low HP KOs while Tailwind helps support the rest of the team (and messes with Kangaskhan, who often tries to Sucker Punch me before I can KO with DA). The speed ensures Rayquaza will outspeed virtually every Kyogre/Groudon as well as a fair portion of the other VGC regulars.

suicune.gif

Suicune @ Sitrus Berry
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 76 SAtk / 4 SDef / 20 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Tailwind
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Protect

Admittedly less functional than much of the rest of the team, Suicune is here to act as (1) a secondary option for Tailwind, (2) a solid water type to aid Kyogre/replace it when Kyogre is not present, and (3) act as something of a tank/PP burner. I originally had a semi-support Dragonite here, but that aggravated an ice weakness and didn't really help any particular team members. Protect here serves the same VGC staple purpose and tailwind is self explanatory. Scald + Ice Beam does leave a few holes in coverage, but still gets the job done when needed. As I will explain next, Suicune's typing is actually the greatest benefit it gives the team when Team Preview is considered.

manectric-mega.gif

Manectric @ Manectite
Trait: Lightning Rod -> Intimidate
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Protect
- Thunderbolt
- Snarl
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Abandon all hope, ye who think they can kill the King with electricity. As is almost humorously apparent from the preview of my team, there is a gaping Electric weakness - and that's actually something I use to my advantage. Manectric is an easy to dismiss pokemon and far from common in VGC, but is the reason I can get away with this team. Kyogre and Suicune are, of course, only weak to Electric and Grass - powerful/STAB Grass moves being virtually nonexistent due to the prevalence of Flying and Fire type moves/pokemon in the current metagame. This leaves Electric as the main option for dealing with my team and something I can actually abuse. Lightning Rod means I just need to predict the incoming Thunder/Thunderbolt/Thunder Wave and I get an instant SAtk boost for switching Manectric in (Discharge can throw a wrench in things, but sees no real use, from my experience, as it not only targets allies but also has little/no effect on many common mons). The ever-present Protect shows up here again - this time allowing a free Mega turn or just buying time when a switch is less desirable (IE: Manectric has a +1 , a foe is in KO range, and the next foe is known to be weak to one of Manectric's moves). Thunderbolt lets Manectric function without rain/air lock support and doesn't miss it's power as Manectric is used almost exclusively to steal a boost off a predicted move before lashing out. Snarl has proven indispensable against Calm Mind boosters (such as opposing Kyogre or the rarer Mega Slowbro - occasionally even Xerneas) and rounds out the potential for debuffs with Intimidate. HP Ice lets me deal with Landorus and a few others while completing a pseudo Bolt-Beam pair (and certainly doesn't lack for power with the consistent +1 I've repeatedly mentioned)

crobat.gif

Crobat @ Mental Herb
Trait: Inner Focus
EVs: 76 HP / 212 Def / 220 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Super Fang
- Taunt
- Quick Guard
- Tailwind

This Crobat was actually borrowed form the one person to beat me in the first VGC 16 tourney I attended (as was the below Mienshao). This set ensures that 99% of Smeargle, Klefki, etc. are shut down as soon as possible, as well as regularly preventing Xerneas from getting off Geomancy. Taunt, of course is the main functional move to that end, though Quick Guard helps deal with Prankster users and Talonflame. Tailwind leaves something to do once a support mn has been shut down while Super Fang lets Crobat support almost any ally (while also not being total taunt bait, himself).

mienshao.gif

Mienshao @ Focus Sash
Trait: Reckless
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
- Fake Out
- High Jump Kick
- Rock Slide
- Wide Guard

While he may be the other borrowed set here, Mienshao certainly pulls his weight when it comes to opposing non-weather teams. his fast Fake Out can run the move for many other users (most notably Khan) as well as buying half a turn for an ally. Reckless HJK can take a chunk out of a ton of pokemon while Wide Guard proves indispensable against moves like Precipice Blades, Earthquake, Rock Slide, Origin Pulse, etc. Rock Slide provides both a solid hit to opposing Flying types as well as making good use of both the flinch chance and Mienshao's speed. Admittedly, Mienshao doesn't see too much use unless I anticipate it to be a better response to both Khan and another foe that Mienshao can beat (or just several foes - especially against non-weather teams).

Known Threats:

So far, this team has proven extremely effective with decent prediction. Hax has been the cause of its only two defeats, though it brings to light a slight design flaw. The first loss was due to Paralysis activating 4 times in a 7 turn match. Needless to say it prevented a key KO every time and ultimately cost me the match. The second time was much more informative - haxy as it was. Turn 1, an opposing Porygon 2 (on a non-weather team) traced Lightning Rod off my Manectric and rendered my only method of removing the partnered Mega Slowbro useless. Even Crobat was useless to slow things as he could either prevent trick room or halve one of the foe's mon's HP before dying to Psychic (or switch out and do neither) - none of which would have mattered in the end considering recovery moves. This leads to the main weakness this team has: an opposing strategy similar to my own in regards to protecting Water mons from electric moves. This is admittedly highly uncommon, but the weakness remains just the same.

As always, there's a chance I overlooked and/or have not encountered something else that may threaten this team, so feel free to pint anything out/make suggestions and I'll address them.

Kyogre @ Blue Orb
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Origin Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Thunder
- Protect

Rayquaza @ Life Orb
Trait: Air Lock
EVs: 4 HP / 244 Atk / 36 SAtk / 4 SDef / 220 Spd