OU: Strategy [VGC] Best ability for Amoonguss ?

Scattered mind

Competitive VG Forums Mod
Forum Mod
Hi everyone. I want to breed and raise Amoonguss for VGC battles. In OU it is pretty obvious that Regenerator is the best ability to have, but in VGC I'm not so sure since you don't switch too often, and Effect Spore can be useful to cause paralysis sleep or poison to my opponent. What do you think is the better option?

Effect Spore is a fine option if you aren't planning to Spore early on. The randomness of it activating can sometimes cause an opponent that you meant to put to sleep to become Poisoned or Paralyzed instead. Not only does that make an attacking turn wasted, it could cost you a lot depending on the rest of your team or what Pokemon you meant to affect.
Regenerator is still my go-to even in doubles. Once you use up that Sitrus Berry (or if you opt for something else) you only have Giga Drain to recover with. If you are forced to switch, the healing is not unwelcome. Even if it isn't always activated in VGC battles, it's far more reliable than Effect Spore.

Basically, if you aren't using or focusing on using Spore, Effect Spore is a nice bonus when forcing foes to hit you with Rage Powder. If you want to rely on Sleep from Spore, however, you'd be better off sticking with Regenerator.

Considering how much Amoonguss relies on Spore, I'm inclined to suggest running Regenerator.

Though I'm not much of an advocate for chance abilities like Effect Spore to begin with, especially since the actual effect of Effect Spore is random.

The real niche of ES imo, is against MKhan since it gets double chances to get ES activated thanks to parental bond. However, if I'm going to focus on spore it's going to be problamatic for me so I guess it would be safer to go with regenerator.

If you really want to go for paralysis, I'd probably just suggest using Stun Spore anyways.

Also worth noting that Effect Spore could harm you down the road. Landing that poison chance means you can't paralyze or sleep them with another teammate, and I think virtually every Pokemon in VGC would rather be poisoned than paralyzed.

There is really no reason to use Effect Spore. You're betting on a move that may not even activate or get you a decent status effect in a format where Amoonguss can easily be OHKO'd by several restricted legends, not to mention plenty of special attackers in the format which don't make contact to activate ES.

If you land on Poison, it doesn't really net you much since most games in VGC'16 take fewer than 5 turns, and nearly every Pokemon in the format can be OHKO'd by another.

Paralysis is decent, but lots of teams are falling back on Trick Room nowadays, so you are potentially helping them out (minus the chance of full para).

As for Sleep, you already have Spore, which has perfect accuracy. No need to gamble on a gimmick ability. If you live a hit, you can switch out for some healing with Regenerator.

To be honest, if you want something that deters Mega Kangaskhan, you're best off with Ferrothorn (or another Khan, but that's beside the point). It can safely come in on anything it commonly uses aside Low Kick and will deal respectable Barbs damage to it in return. Not to mention Ferro is a great way to deal with Xerneas and P-Kyogre.

Back