VGC 2011-2012 Rules

King Arceus

Aspiring Trainer
Elite Member
Advanced Member
I am posting this here for everyone's convenience. I'll probably be staffing at the US VGC Nationals again since I have the past couple years so you are free to ask me any question and I'll do my best to get you an answer.

5. Standard Format Style
All sanctioned Pokémon video game tournaments require players to assemble a team of Pokémon, with items, prior to the start of the event. The standard format style for all PLAY! Pokémon tournaments is Double Battle.
5.1. Double Battle
In Double Battles, each player selects four Pokémon from his or her party of six to battle with. At the start of the battle, players send out the first two Pokémon in their party, making a total of four Pokémon on the battlefield. Game play continues until a player knocks out all four of his or her opponent’s Pokémon.
6. Standard Team Construction Rules
When building a team for a PLAY! Pokémon tournament, all players must adhere to these standard construction rules.
 A player’s team cannot contain two Pokémon with the same Pokédex number
 Each Pokémon on a player’s team can hold an item, though no two Pokémon may hold the same item
 A player’s team cannot contain two Pokémon with the same nickname
 A player’s team cannot contain a Pokémon nicknamed with the name of another Pokémon (for example, an Unfezant named “Pidove”)
 Pokémon may only use moves that have been learned through one of the following methods:
o By leveling up
o By TM or HM
o As an Egg move, through breeding
o From a character in the game
o A move already known by a Pokémon received at an official Pokémon event or promotion
7. Sanctioned Format
Pokémon Organized Play supports one format for sanctioned play: Modified. Sanctioned events are listed on the POP website, and the results are reported to POP after the event concludes.
7.1. Modified Format
The Modified format is the standard tournament format for PLAY! Pokémon video game events. This format will be used at all premier events unless specified otherwise. The Modified format for the 2011–2012 season will use the following restrictions:
Pokémon Organized Play Tournament Formats
Rev: September 1st, 2011
 Only Pokémon Black Version and Pokémon White Version Game Cards are permitted for use.
 Players may use Pokémon from the National Pokédex, from No. 001–646, that are caught in the game, transferred from a previous Pokémon title, or received at an official event or distribution
 The following Pokémon may not be on a player’s team:
o 150 – Mewtwo
o 151 – Mew
o 249 – Lugia
o 250 – Ho-Oh
o 251 – Celebi
o 382 – Kyogre
o 383 – Groudon
o 384 – Rayquaza
o 385 - Jirachi
o 386 – Deoxys
o 483 – Dialga
o 484 – Palkia
o 487 – Giratina
o 489 – Phione
o 490 – Manaphy
o 491 – Darkrai
o 492 – Shaymin
o 493 – Arceus
o 494 – Victini
o 643 – Reshiram
o 644 – Zekrom
o 646 – Kyurem
 Pokémon must be placed in the Battle Box.
 Pokémon above level 50 are permitted, but they are auto-leveled down to 50 for the duration of battle.
 Pokémon may not know the moves Sky Drop or Dark Void.
 The Wonder Launcher cannot be used during battle.

Legality Issues:
-The only thing we check is your Battle Box. We don't check your party or your regular boxes.
-If you didn't obtain the Pokemon from an official event or through normal game play, we can't guarantee it will pass a game check.
-You are responsible for the Pokemon in your battle box. If you traded for them and they don't pass a check for one reason or another, you are the one responsible. Trading for a Pokemon is a risk you are taking if you aren't going to catch and raise the Pokemon yourself.
-If a Pokemon has a move that is banned from the competition such as Sky Drop, the data we send your game when you register will not allow you to even register. If a Pokemon is banned, such as Victini, you also will not be able to register.

[5:24:19 PM] slickmario: WHAT
[5:24:21 PM] slickmario: NO MEWTWO
[5:24:24 PM] slickmario: WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT
[5:24:40 PM] slickmario: slickmario has to revise his planned team

Quoted from the Skype discussion.

No Kyogre...No rain... :/

This displeases me, big time.

TPCi, why you let us use all pokemon...except ubers?! >:]

Now I have to consult people who actually know how to make a decent team

Blaziken isn't as big of threat in doubles because there are moves that hit both opponents, with Earthquake being one of the most common. It is much easier to pick off since both of the opposing player's Pokemon can target it before it gets a huge benefit from Swords Dance.

Did anyone else notcie that Mew, Celebi, Manaphy, and Victini are banned but Jirachi is not? Does anyoen have any clue why? They are all parallels with the exact same base stats and out of them I'd think Celebi would be the least likely to be banned because its type makes it inferior to the others, if they are basing it on power. Of course, I would think they would all be banned if any of them are.

Dark Void said:
I'd think Celebi would be the least likely to be banned because its type makes it inferior to the others, if they are basing it on power

Event only Pokemon tend to always be banned. Whether it was an error in their document or if Jirachi is really unbanned I'm not positive, but I will see if I can get an official response.

Thank you dragonexpert!I shall begin planning immedeately.

As for the pokemon we can use,NNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOO!NOW WE GET TO DEAL WITH WEATHER!

Say,I just noticed that the three Birds,three Beasts,three Regis,three Pixies,three Muskiteers and three Genies aren't banned.Time to cause havoc with Weather Ball/Thunder/Aura Sphere Raikou.I also noticed Regigigas,Heatran and Cressilia aren't banned. >:]

The other thing I wonder is why Phione is banned.It doesn't count as a legend,since you can obtain it via breeding.

I'm assuming Phione is banned because its a pseudo-event Pokemon, only being available by breeding Manaphy, an event Pokemon. Not like it matters since no one in their right mind would use it in VGC though.

Dark Void said:
I'm assuming Phione is banned because its a pseudo-event Pokemon, only being available by breeding Manaphy, an event Pokemon. Not like it matters since no one in their right mind would use it in VGC though.

This would be correct.

Can we still use moves we taught on previous games? Like teaching a Registeel Headbutt on Soulsilver? I didn't see it mentioned in the rules this time. Thanks.:p

As long as it can legally learn the move,no matter what Gen. the pokemon learned it in,you can use it.In other words,you could use a Registeel with Headbutt in VGC 2012,since all you need to do is teach it Headbutt in Soulsilver and transfer it over to Black/White via Poketransfer.

Well, the TMs in Gen 1 and 2 were different and not compatable, so even though Persian can learn Bubblebeam through TM Gen 1 it can't use it in the VGC. However, if you can legitimately get a Pokemon knowing a move or ability then that would be fine.

If I enter VGC with a Poliwrath named "Keldeo", will I get banned? :]

You would be disqualified because techinically you are naming it the name of a different Pokemon.

What's a Keldeo? I don't see it in my pokedex.

This pony thing. You'll love it.
647.png

Back