• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Vespiquen/Zoroark

tammika

Aspiring Trainer
Vespiquen is one of the decks I’m contemplating on for League Challenges and Cups in the near future. This list is what I have at the moment:

Pokémon – 28
  • 4 Combee AOR
  • 4 Vespiquen AOR #10
  • 2 Zorua BKT
  • 2 Zoroark BKT
  • 4 Unown AOR
  • 3 Klefki STS
  • 1 Oranguru SM
  • 2 Eevee AOR
  • 1 Vaporeon AOR
  • 1 Flareon AOR
  • 3 Shaymin EX
  • 1 Tauros GX
Trainers – 28
  • 4 Professor Sycamore
  • 2 N
  • 2 Lysandre
  • 4 Ultra Ball
  • 4 VS Seeker
  • 4 Acro Bike
  • 1 Revitalizer
  • 1 Buddy-Buddy Rescue
  • 2 Special Charge
  • 2 Float Stone
  • 2 Forest of Giant Plants
Energy – 4
  • 4 Double Colorless Energy

Basically, Vespiquen is the main attacker, while Zoroark is the secondary attacker and provides Stand In support with a Float Stone. Tauros GX is there as a wall to promote after T1/T2 Sky Return.

But you knew that all already, as this is a common archetype. What I’m interested in is optimizing the build. Do you have any suggestions?

There is nothing wrong with this deck. There are only preferences.

I prefer 4 Shaymin for consistency sake over 3 Shaymin/1 Oranguru.

Flareon/Vaporeon/Eevee are solid techs for Grass & Water decks.

Other possible techs:
Jolteon - Handles M Ray & can give early knock out to Shaymin
2-2 Blitzle/Zebstrika - OHKO on M Ray
2-2 Cubone/Marowak - Dark Dragons stopper...auto-loss without it
Wob - helps with Vileplume

There can be others

One of the disadvantages of running Zoroark is that your opponent can actually control its damage output. IMO, consider running a strong Eeveelution line, including Jolteon (AOR) too, to replace the Zoroak line.

I'd also strongly suggest you also incorporate a Parallel City Stadium(s) into your deck in order to remove unneeded Shaymin EXs (aka 2-prize targets) from your bench.

One of the disadvantages of running Zoroark is that your opponent can actually control its damage output. IMO, consider running a strong Eeveelution line, including Jolteon (AOR) too, to replace the Zoroak line.

I'd also strongly suggest you also incorporate a Parallel City Stadium(s) into your deck in order to remove unneeded Shaymin EXs (aka 2-prize targets) from your bench.

I disagree with MOST points here.

Zoroark is NECESSARY because it is a secondary attacker. Also, with float stone on it, it allows free movement of Pokemon on your aide of the field.

Parallel City is of little use because a lot of other people are already playing it. So if one is on the board already, you're screwed.

Want your Shaymin off the board? Sky return them mugs.

I disagree with MOST points here.

Zoroark is NECESSARY because it is a secondary attacker. Also, with float stone on it, it allows free movement of Pokemon on your aide of the field.

Parallel City is of little use because a lot of other people are already playing it. So if one is on the board already, you're screwed.

Want your Shaymin off the board? Sky return them mugs.
Zoroark is not required, MAYBE just a stronger secondary attacker is. I run Zoroark in a deck and its formidable; however, its damage output can still be controlled by an opponent.

Parallel City is very useful in removing unwanted Shaymin EXs (and/or other wounded Pokémon - prize denial) from your bench. Taking the time to Sky Return distracts/wastes an attack turn, IMO. Leaving the Shaymin EX(s) on your bench increases one's risk of having those targeted for relative easy prizes. Should your opponent already have a Parallel City in play limiting his/her bench - to keep the opponent's Shaymin EXs in play, one could then play a Delinquent and a Parallel City afterwards. In many cases, Vespiquen may not be able to 1HKO; so, mitigating the easy 2-prize targets risk is quite important.

So, we can agree to disagree about tactics, play styles, etc.

Thanks for your input. I’m currently running –1 Buddy Buddy Rescue, –1 Klefki, +1 Jolteon, +1 Revitalizer compared to my original list.

I like Oranguru, because this deck is very vulnerable to late game N to ones (and I don’t own nor can afford a fourth Shaymin).

The Marowak option is intriguing, but very few people play Giratina EX here in Finland atm, so I’m not going for it yet. I heard some people play Herdier SM in this. I wonder why one would want to pick Herdier over Milotic PRC. Is it just the fact that Herdier is levelballable, or have people just forgotten about Milotic? I’m not planning on running either of those anyways, though…

Back