Very, VERY desperate person needs to know how to connect his xbox 360 to the internet

Mr. Random

Gravitating away from you...
I need help with connecting my xbox 360 to the internet. I tried to use the simplest way there is, the direct modem connection, but I am not a nerd, have no idea what a modem is, where to find one, and how to connect an xbox to one, and am on the verge of tears. I understood the rest about how to use the ethernet cable to connect the 360, so I tried to look up what a modem is, but couldn't find a thing I could understand, and my parents can't (or won't) help me. I am very desperate, and Pokebeach is pretty much one of my last resorts. Help!

the router....the thingy that you use to connect to the internet is what you connect the other end of the ethernet cable to.

With the ethernet cable, you plug one end into the slot it fits in, and one slot into your modem, whichever hole fits. A modem looks like this:
10209d1234826669-rca-cable-modem-broadband-nib-rca_dcm425a.gif
. Or, you can spend 100$ to buy a wireless adapter that connects to the internet with a router.

The ethernet slot is taken up on my modem, and is connected to my computer's tower. Do I take the cord out and replace it with my 360's ethernet cable?

Internet tower meaning Router? If that's the case, try connecting directly to a not-taken cable conection. Otherwise, just buy the wireless adapter and connect to the tower. (Or just buy a PS3 and get free live, and wireless internet)

Juliacoolo said:
Internet tower meaning Router? If that's the case, try connecting directly to a not-taken cable conection. Otherwise, just buy the wireless adapter and connect to the tower. (Or just buy a PS3 and get free live, and wireless internet)

wireless gaming is terrible as the ping becomes incredibly high and the latency is unbearable.

do you guys ever do any type of research before saying stuff?

Well, Xbox Live works great, but there is one small drawback. I have to take my modem back and forth from my Xbox to my PC every time I want to go on Live or the internet. Is there any way to get around this?

You might need to buy a splitter which is a plug of multiple outlets for your computer and router that way you can be on your XBOX an the internet at the same time. I have my router set to have my DS and computer online at the same time because I have a splitter so nothing is interuped. They usually run about $10-$15 though. It also depends on how it is hooked up. Do you have a blue network cable or anything attached? If so you need to plug one end into th back of your tower and the other into your router and make sure your modem is plugged into the router also.:) EDIT. After you get your system connected don't forget to imput all your router info into the Wi-Fi settings on your XBOX 360. After you do all this you should be online. Also you can call your provider and have one of their tech's walk you through the hookup too. I had to do that when we switched providers and it is more combersome that you think. It is not easy like it used to be. That's for sure.:)

Back