• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Verdant Surprise (Virizion EX / Abomasnow / Ninetales / Trevenant)

Carpey

Deck Experimenter
nrATL8O.png
Pokemon(17):

• 3 Virizion EX
    3-3 Abomasnow PLB
    2-2 Ninetails LTR
    2-2 Trevenant XY
    1 Mewtwo EX

Trainers (32):

• 4 Professor Juniper
    4 N
    1 Colress
    1 Shauna
    1 Lysandre
    2 Bicycle
    4 Ultra Ball
    1 Dowsing Machine ACE SPEC
    1 Professor's Letter
    2 Sacred Ash
    1 Startling Megaphone
    3 Muscle Band
    2 Silver Mirror
    2 Float Stone
    1 Switch

Energy (12):

• 9 Grass
    3 Double Colorless

Strategy:
I've been competitive TCG playing for about 8 months now, and have gotten pretty good at doing this thing where I see a good combo used/talked about and then making my own improvements to suit my play style. Now I felt like trying my hand at a rogue/counter deck from scratch.The strategy here is to counter the things that are most common in my meta. I'm a Senior so there are mostly somewhat cheap decks like Plasma and Pyroar. There's also some Virizion/Genesect and those few people that have Landorus decks. I'm haven't seen anyone else still playing Darkness so the build was a little easier.

Against Pyroar: VirizionEX is a good start just to power up some Abomasnow until it dies or something. Then just keep using Razor Leaf until all the Pyroar are gone. I chose Abomasnow over Beartic because of the cheaper Retreat cost, and it is not a variable that can be shut down by Float Stones.

Against Plasma: Set up Trevenant with Silver Mirror, then power up a couple backup attackers in case of Lysandre.

Against Vir/Gen: Start with VirizionEX and power up the two Ninetails. Once those two are gone, another VirizionEX should go active and Sacred Ash can get Ninetails back. Trevenant can stall if needed. It's a good idea to put Float Stones on your Ninetails if the opponent is playing Beartic.

Against Landorus: Start with VirizionEX and power up Abomasnow and/or MewtwoEX. Virizion handles SeismitoadEX, Mewtwo handles LucarioEX, and Abomasnow can take care of LandorusEX with the Bang Heads attack.

So the main attacker is probably Abomasnow, because with the second attack + Muscle Band, it can 2HKO anything but Megas while making the Defending Pokemon Confused. Provided your opponent has no Garbotoxin active, Abomasnow won't get confused since it has Grass energy attached with VirizionEX in play. Please tell me what you think about the list. Just a side note; I haven't actually tested this yet.

RE: Verdant Surprise (VirizionEX+Counters)

Definitely an interesting take. I would start off by ditching a Sacred Ash (I don't know when you'd need more than one) for a fourth Virizion because you want to boost your chances starting off with this guy. I would cut an Ultra Ball for an Evosoda as well, simply because you save resources and most of your attackers would make use of just the one Soda there.

RE: Verdant Surprise (VirizionEX+Counters)

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to replace the Ultra Ball for sure and take out the second Sacred Ash for something. Probably Virizion but I'm also considering adding a few Skyla and maybe Ghetsis to slow my opponent down a bit. Might even end up taking out two Juniper to conserve resources a little better. Hopefully I can get some good testing in this Sunday.

Abomasnow is a clever choice, but I find Beartic Furious Fists to be a bit better, since it can OHKO Pyroar and OHKO Basic Landorus and Landorus-EX if it has a Muscle Band equipped.

If you're just going to commit Trevenant to the Active spot, and you're not pairing it with Donphan, Accelgor, etc., then I think Seismitoad would be better since you can actually put some damage on the field while you're stalling with Item lock. Plus 2 Seismitoad leaves you with some extra space for stuff, which is always a plus.

Back