Van Gogh Museum Cancels Pikachu Promo Distribution!

Water Pokémon Master

I like Pokemon more than you! :p
Webmaster
Elite Member
Advanced Member
In an effort to deter scalpers, the Van Gogh Museum will no longer be offering the “Pikachu with Grey Felt Hat” promo to visitors.
The Van Gogh Museum and The Pokémon Company International take the safety and security of visitors and staff very seriously. Recently, a small group of individuals has created an undesirable situation that has led us to take the difficult decision to remove the Pikachu with Grey Felt Hat promo card from the museum. In this way, visitors will be able to experience this special collection of Pokémon paintings and the rest of the museum in a safe and enjoyable manner.
However, TPCi will make the promo available to participating retailers in the Netherlands early next year. In this way, fans in the Netherlands will still get a special opportunity to receive...

Continue reading...

I kind of feel like they should give a deep re-evaluation of how they handle promo cards. I mean the promo cards that are present in like Alakazam EX and Zapdos EX are generally well-handled so maybe they should use this package for handing out promos and just incorporate the package design to match the promo. Just add a smeargle pin and boom contingency!

Literally 4 hours ago I bought ferry and museum tickets to go for this next month. How does stopping fans from getting the cards stop scalpers?
Appreciate you for keeping us updated!
Sadly a group of people have been hanging around outside the museum and snatching the cards out of peoples hands as they leave, or threatening them into giving over their cards, and also following staff as they leave and intimidating them, demanding cards in exchange to stop. This is making everyone feel scared and ruining the experience.

Could the Pokémon Company finally one day listen to the concerns of French collectors? Because in terms of overpriced products, we are the most expensive country in the world to buy our boosters, and they never seem to think of us. Thank you, guys. We never get anything. We're being fully exploited, and you want to stop scalping. Distribute enough cards in France already!

The card literally jumped up by 100 euros on Cardmarket tonight, and the stock isn't decreasing; there are around 400 copies. It's completely rigged; it's outrageously unfair.

What the... why? Why can't they just LIMIT how many people get a promo??? TPCi loves to create problems to solve other problems.

I'm not even going to the museum and I think this is a scummy move.

What the... why? Why can't they just LIMIT how many people get a promo??? TPCi loves to create problems to solve other problems.

I'm not even going to the museum and I think this is a scummy move.
Sometimes, you just gotta fight scum with scum when there's no other option. This has escalated into stalking and damn near physical assault, so the hand has been both disrupted and forced. It sucks, but removing the promos is, unfortunately, not the suckiest part of this whole ordeal

Can’t they just get law enforcement to take care of this small group of people? Have security outside of the museum and local police aware of a group of people hassling others. I don’t think this warrants cancelling the promo - this is gonna happen with every promo they do, they just need to reevaluate how it’s handled. Pokémon needs to take more responsibility for events outside of Japan. I feel like they tend to be very Japan-focused and very bad at connecting with people not inside their main HQ.

How sad is it that you all are more worried about a stupid piece of cardboard than the safety and well being of people. You all make me sick and I wish they'd just burn these damn cards! This is becoming very stupid!

Can’t they just get law enforcement to take care of this small group of people? Have security outside of the museum and local police aware of a group of people hassling others. I don’t think this warrants cancelling the promo - this is gonna happen with every promo they do, they just need to reevaluate how it’s handled. Pokémon needs to take more responsibility for events outside of Japan. I feel like they tend to be very Japan-focused and very bad at connecting with people not inside their main HQ.
what makes you think the cops gives a shit about card board? Plus its not cheap to rent a cop I'm sure

Could the Pokémon Company finally one day listen to the concerns of French collectors? Because in terms of overpriced products, we are the most expensive country in the world to buy our boosters, and they never seem to think of us. Thank you, guys. We never get anything. We're being fully exploited, and you want to stop scalping. Distribute enough cards in France already!

The card literally jumped up by 100 euros on Cardmarket tonight, and the stock isn't decreasing; there are around 400 copies. It's completely rigged; it's outrageously unfair.
Here's an idea STOP GIVING A SHIT ABOUT IT AND IT WILL GO AWAY

Ugh just release them worldwide in mass quantities for an extended period of time, so scalpers lose out on money.

It’s not that hard, especially for the #1 multimedia franchise in the planet.

How sad is it that you all are more worried about a stupid piece of cardboard than the safety and well being of people. You all make me sick and I wish they'd just burn these damn cards! This is becoming very stupid!
This will keep happening every time they do this. Does that mean Pokémon should just stop doing promos then? They can provide better support for the other parties/events/companies involved. My comment comes from a place of them trying to work on an active solution to fix this now and in the future (or at least handle it better than this was handled), not from a lack of compassion from those being attacked.

Edit: for future reference, Pokémon has done a better job with their in-Japan events. The fossil event was also held at a museum and they had a separate shop with its own staff to sell merchandise.

Last edited:
My brother booked a Ticket just to get that one promo card for me and have fun for himself for the exhibition. I am shocked that the way these cards were given out was simply messed up and stupid. All they had to do was give out one card when entered the museum after showing the ticket and that was it. I don't get how a single person can so easily obtain 40 cards with a single visit and then resell them for $300. It is just disgusting for the visitors, the museum visitors won't get the full experience but leftovers.

caging.gif

I was more disappointed that all of the arts made didn't get translated into Card format. Unlike Edvard Munch.

It's a shame it had to come to this. Unsavory individuals thinking about themselves and their profits constantly ruin things for everyone.

Pokémon Company needs to something. Because this simply can't keep happening. Something needs to be done.

Scalpers have absolutely ruined the experience for people that earn it. I hated to see that the moment the Felt Hat Pikachu was released, it was gone. It's these people that only care about money, greedy people that don't want people to have fun and have a keepsake. I'll say that if people want money, get a job and work for it. It's upsetting.

Back