Ruling Unown G vs. Sandlsah

Chairman Kaga said:
Papi/Manny said:
The Fluff ruling shows an attack only has to get by Fluff once to resolve the effects of it, given a distrubtion of the effects over the period of 2 turns instead of getting a 2nd chance to block the rest of the attack, even though it sucessfully bipassed the body. The attack Spike Armor doesn't actually do anything until the opponet damages sandslash so I don't see how you can claim that wp doesn't prevent the effect of it when the attack's effect only occurs once and thats when it gets activated from damage from an opponets attack. This is a delayed attack. Even though it was announced, it never actually did anything during the attackers turn. It has to wait for the opponet's turn to actually do anything. Thats when the effect activates and the WP kicks in to block it.

Again, you missed it. And you completely misread the Fluff ruling.

There is no distribution of effects. It's one effect. And that effect is on Sandslash. Holon WP cannot prevent effects on the opposing Pokemon. So it gets placed when Sandslash uses Spike Armor.

Next turn, you attack Sandslash. The existing effect is then triggered. The damage counters are not a separate effect, it is the resolution of the existing effect.

Holon WP does not prevent this. It only blocks an effect from being created.

If we follow what you're saying, then Holon WP should prevent Poison damage between turns, since each damage counter is a "delayed attack" effect that Holon WP blocks. But we both know it's not. The Spike Armor case is really no different than this.

that makes absolutely no sense. sandslash`s attack doesn`t do anything until it has met its condition. It`s attack only tells the game that it has prepared to use a counter effect. wp says nothing on when it blocks effects. And since when is poison an effect of an attack? Being poised is.

It makes no sense because you don't understand how effects work at all. There's no such thing as a delayed attack in Pokemon.

I think that if you look at Sandslash's Spike Armor attack as something that causes a pseudo-special condition, it simplifies things a bit and makes it easier to break down and understand.

As I think Chairman Kaga is trying to explain, the "affect" of Spike Armor happens to Sandslash itself, and that affect wouldn't be prevented by something like Unown G, Holon Energy WP, or Wormadam Sandy Cloak.

For me, it helps to think of Spike Armor the same way I would if the defending Pokemon were Poisoned, Burned or Confused before attaching an Unown G. Since the poison is the result of a previous attack, it doesn't get prevented. The poison's "trigger" is "between each turn," which is when a damage counter is added. Spike Armor on the other hand, does its affect during its user's turn, which is "triggered" when Sandslash is dealt damage. Because the affect is already in place, (sort of like a Special Condition) it is not prevented by things that "prevent all affects of attacks, excluding (or even including, for this instance) damage, dealt to (so-and-so)" because the affect of the attack originally affected Sandslash, not the Pokemon with the Unown G attached (or whatever Pokemon is in question)

I know it seems confusing because putting the four damage counters on the Pokemon with the Unown G attached seems like an affect of an attack, but really it's more like the result of a previously present semi-special condition, which wasn't prevented by the Unown G because it was placed on Sandslash, not the defending Pokemon.

In any case, I'm really interesting in what the Rules Team will decide. I'm pretty sure that I side with Chairman Kaga on this one, and think that his explanation makes a lot of sense.

Something that's sort of related, though, is the issue of conduct in this argument. I kind of feel like that as members of the PokeBeach forum community, we have a responsibility to be open-minded and respectful towards each other. This, among other things, means to refrain from being rude, even if one 100% sure that their argument is correct. It's entirely possible to be right and polite at the same time, and being able to remain civil even when things are frustrating or unclear says a lot more about someone's character than whether or not they can argue rules effectively.

Then again, I'm not a moderator or anything, nor am I a judge or a Rules Team member, so what I think or hope doesn't matter all that much. I do wish that we could be nice to each other, at least, since it seems pretty much impossible to expect people to use anything punctuation, capitalization and proper grammar-free chat-speak most of the time in the forums. :(

Sesari said:
I think that if you look at Sandslash's Spike Armor attack as something that causes a pseudo-special condition, it simplifies things a bit and makes it easier to break down and understand.

As I think Chairman Kaga is trying to explain, the "affect" of Spike Armor happens to Sandslash itself, and that affect wouldn't be prevented by something like Unown G, Holon Energy WP, or Wormadam Sandy Cloak.

For me, it helps to think of Spike Armor the same way I would if the defending Pokemon were Poisoned, Burned or Confused before attaching an Unown G. Since the poison is the result of a previous attack, it doesn't get prevented. The poison's "trigger" is "between each turn," which is when a damage counter is added. Spike Armor on the other hand, does its affect during its user's turn, which is "triggered" when Sandslash is dealt damage. Because the affect is already in place, (sort of like a Special Condition) it is not prevented by things that "prevent all affects of attacks, excluding (or even including, for this instance) damage, dealt to (so-and-so)" because the affect of the attack originally affected Sandslash, not the Pokemon with the Unown G attached (or whatever Pokemon is in question)

I know it seems confusing because putting the four damage counters on the Pokemon with the Unown G attached seems like an affect of an attack, but really it's more like the result of a previously present semi-special condition, which wasn't prevented by the Unown G because it was placed on Sandslash, not the defending Pokemon.

In any case, I'm really interesting in what the Rules Team will decide. I'm pretty sure that I side with Chairman Kaga on this one, and think that his explanation makes a lot of sense.

Something that's sort of related, though, is the issue of conduct in this argument. I kind of feel like that as members of the PokeBeach forum community, we have a responsibility to be open-minded and respectful towards each other. This, among other things, means to refrain from being rude, even if one 100% sure that their argument is correct. It's entirely possible to be right and polite at the same time, and being able to remain civil even when things are frustrating or unclear says a lot more about someone's character than whether or not they can argue rules effectively.

Then again, I'm not a moderator or anything, nor am I a judge or a Rules Team member, so what I think or hope doesn't matter all that much. I do wish that we could be nice to each other, at least, since it seems pretty much impossible to expect people to use anything punctuation, capitalization and proper grammar-free chat-speak most of the time in the forums. :(
You can't claim special conditions are the result of anything because they don't have to originate from an attack and therefore wp doesn't has any right to prevent a confusion check (but can prevent the condition from being applied since its an effect). And when was anybody rude or disrespectful in this discussion? The grammar of my last post was bad because I was on my wii.
Chairman Kaga said:
It makes no sense because you don't understand how effects work at all. There's no such thing as a delayed attack in Pokemon.
Oh, I guess here is where the personal attacks are. I never called it a delayed attack (well maybe I did but I hoped you knew what I was talking about). This is a delayed effect. http://www.pokebeach.com/sets/revelation/4.jpg This is a delayed effect. WP doesn't get a chance to prevent this since its resides on the opponet, not any pokemon in play. However, the actually effect occurs when you attach an energy and thus the attack's requirements for the effect are activated. It's a trap. Plain and simple. This is a counter attack thats not doing damage but placing them. The inital attack may be called on sandslash but the effect has to be done to the attacking pokemon with the wp/g attached. Look at sandy cloak wormadam. It says "Prevent all effects off attacks, excluding damage, done to sandy cloak wormadam". Based on this wording, it doesn't matter where you place sandslashes effect, it still gets a chance to block it. The fluff ruling says it only gets a chance to block when the first effect that fluff can block is launched at swablu.

Papi/Manny said:
You can't claim special conditions are the result of anything because they don't have to originate from an attack and therefore wp doesn't has any right to prevent a confusion check (but can prevent the condition from being applied since its an effect).

I never said WP could prevent the check. It can't. That's the whole point. WP can only prevent the creation of an effect; it can't stop the things that effect makes you do. That's the whole point of the Fluff ruling, and that's why Sandslash gets through WP.

This is now the fourth time I've had to make this statement. I feel like I'm stuck in an infinite loop here.

Papi/Manny said:
http://www.pokebeach.com/sets/revelation/4.jpg This is a delayed effect. WP doesn't get a chance to prevent this since its resides on the opponet, not any pokemon in play. However, the actually effect occurs when you attach an energy and thus the attack's requirements for the effect are activated. It's a trap. Plain and simple. This is a counter attack thats not doing damage but placing them. The inital attack may be called on sandslash but the effect has to be done to the attacking pokemon with the wp/g attached. Look at sandy cloak wormadam. It says "Prevent all effects off attacks, excluding damage, done to sandy cloak wormadam". Based on this wording, it doesn't matter where you place sandslashes effect, it still gets a chance to block it. The fluff ruling says it only gets a chance to block when the first effect that fluff can block is launched at swablu.

This is where you're wrong. The results of an effect are not an effect. Read the Fluff ruling again. Read what I wrote above. Read them both again. And again and again. Keep reading until you see what I'm talking about.

You keep not doing that and just reverting to your initial argument, which is wrong. Sesari figured it out, why can't you?

Chairman Kaga said:
Papi/Manny said:
You can't claim special conditions are the result of anything because they don't have to originate from an attack and therefore wp doesn't has any right to prevent a confusion check (but can prevent the condition from being applied since its an effect).

I never said WP could prevent the check. It can't. That's the whole point. WP can only prevent the creation of an effect; it can't stop the things that effect makes you do. That's the whole point of the Fluff ruling, and that's why Sandslash gets through WP.

This is now the fourth time I've had to make this statement. I feel like I'm stuck in an infinite loop here.

Papi/Manny said:
http://www.pokebeach.com/sets/revelation/4.jpg This is a delayed effect. WP doesn't get a chance to prevent this since its resides on the opponet, not any pokemon in play. However, the actually effect occurs when you attach an energy and thus the attack's requirements for the effect are activated. It's a trap. Plain and simple. This is a counter attack thats not doing damage but placing them. The inital attack may be called on sandslash but the effect has to be done to the attacking pokemon with the wp/g attached. Look at sandy cloak wormadam. It says "Prevent all effects off attacks, excluding damage, done to sandy cloak wormadam". Based on this wording, it doesn't matter where you place sandslashes effect, it still gets a chance to block it. The fluff ruling says it only gets a chance to block when the first effect that fluff can block is launched at swablu.

This is where you're wrong. The results of an effect are not an effect. Read the Fluff ruling again. Read what I wrote above. Read them both again. And again and again. Keep reading until you see what I'm talking about.

You keep not doing that and just reverting to your initial argument, which is wrong. Sesari figured it out, why can't you?
Special condtions aren't effects of attacks. They are when they are launched but they are entirely different effects. I wasn't even talking to you on the first part. And when did I say the result of an effect is an effect??? You're obviously not reading what I'm saying. Dark Seed gets a chance to be blocked by fluff because an effect is attacking it so it gets a chance to. After that effect gets by the attack works. You can't judge by the fluff ruling to this one since the targers are different and therefore the chance to block are different. And how do you know I've got an answer from a very respectable judge and you don't have that.

Wow, this is one of the more interesting arguments I have seen in a long while and although it's not a poll question, and I will eagerly await a Rules Team ruling. I again have to side with CK here. Spike Armour places and effect on Sandslash and it is this effect (not an attack) that places damage on the Pokemon with Unknown G attached to. Without it being an effect caused by an attack, Unknown G's protection should not apply. I've been wrong before and I'll be wrong again (yes in my mind if you attach a multi energy to Flygon SW its not a fight energy until after it's attached -- but I'll abide by that ruling), but if you read the cards it's what's implied.

For what it's worth, this is by far the most civilized exchange of differing opinions I've seen in a while in this Forum and comments to the contrary are misplaced and should be directed to other exchanges.

^Yup, this has definately been a good exchange compared to some of the others I've seen/been a part off. But I think we'll just continue to cycle through what we've said now so I'm just going to wait until the rule team makes its ruling and lay off this topic (and I am kinda getting sick of thinking about sandslash. lol).

Okay...I'm obviously very frustrated and it's causing me to get personal, which I shouldn't, and I apologize.

No, I don't have an answer from a respectable judge (yet). I'll admit I've been involved with this game less than a year. But one thing I have been personally working on with the PokeGym team is a comprehensive rulebook (something far more in-depth than the theme deck rulebooks) as a resource to place alongside the Compendium. I have discussed a large number of topics at length with the Rules Team over the last four months as part of this project. I've reviewed the entire Compendium EX multiple times as they've been working toward the new version (Compendium LV.X) -- I've seen the new version, actually. I have spent over 1,000 hours since October focusing on nothing but understanding the rules and the rulings. The Rules Team has acknowledged my work as extensive and accurate. I like to think that my grasp of this game's rules at this point is very, very firm. What I mainly lack right now is "street cred" in the Pokemon world -- but my goal is to be one of those "respectable judges" by next year :) Heck, maybe I'll get to take that disclaimer out of my sig at some point.

But those credentials don't automatically make me right. What I'm going to do is step back and breathe a bit, and try to explain things better, including things I've learned from personal chats with the Rules Team. Effects were one of the longest topics, so understand that I'm not just making this up. I do that sometimes, but not right now :) This works a lot like a mathematical proof. And it's long. You might want to drink some coffee before reading this post.

First, let's define what an effect is. An effect is basically an modifier to the game state (something happening that wouldn't normally happen). An effect can be created by basically anything in the game -- an attack, a Poke-Power, a Poke-Body, or a Trainer card.

Some effects are one-shot modifiers -- Trainer cards like Warp Point, for example. The effect of the card causes both players to switch. Once that's finished, the effect is resolved and goes away (along with the card).

Some effects are continuous modifiers -- things like Stadiums and Poke-Bodies. Let's use Moonlight Stadium from the new set as an example. It creates a modifier on each Psychic and Dark Pokemon that says "This Pokemon's Retreat Cost is 0". This modifier stays as long as the Stadium is in play, and goes away if the Stadium leaves play.

And finally, some effects are triggered effects. Once created, the effect watches for its trigger event, and when it happens, it creates a one-shot modifier that causes something new to happen. A good example is the Smokescreen-type attack on a whole bunch of Pokemon. When you use that attack, after doing its damage, it also creates a modifier on the opposing Pokemon that says "During the next turn, if this Pokemon tries to attack, its owner flips a coin. If tails, that attack does nothing." On the next turn, an attempt to attack triggers that effect and causes its modifier to resolve, which forces the attacker to flip a coin and possibly lose their attack.

Now let me go back to that silly Fluff ruling I keep bringing up. You're right that it's not directly applicable to this case, but most of the rulings in the Compendium are built on previous rulings that establish a precedent. Here's the ruling and the relevant card text:

Q. If Dark Raticate uses "Dark Seed" against a damaged Swablu, is the "Fluff" coin flip done as soon as the attack is announced, when the 5 damage counters are placed, or both times?
A. It would only be done the first time. You would flip for Fluff when the Dark Seed attack puts the effect onto the Swablu; but you would not flip when the five damage counters are placed because that's a *result of the effect* on Swablu rather than a direct result of the Dark Seed attack [just like you wouldn't flip each time you placed a damage counter for poison]. (Apr 21, 2005 PUI Rules Team)

(Poke-Body) Fluff
Whenever Swablu would be damaged or affected by an opponent's attack and already has at least 1 damage counter on it, flip a coin. If heads, prevent all effects of that attack, including damage, done to Swablu.

Dark Seed
The Defending Pokemon can't retreat during your opponent's next turn. Put 5 damage counters on the Defending Pokemon at the end of your opponent's next turn.

Dark Seed creates a triggered effect: "At the end of the next turn, put 5 damage counters on this Pokemon". The trigger is, of course, the end of that turn.

We're pretty clear that when the opponent tries to attack Swablu (assuming all the other conditions for Fluff are met), Swablu's owner gets to flip a coin. If heads, Fluff prevents both the attack damage and the creation of the triggered effect.

But suppose we got tails instead. The effect gets created and placed on Swablu, and when the trigger occurs (the end of the opponent's next turn), it causes the effect to resolve, which causes 5 damage counters to be placed on Swablu. Now this is the key point. Fluff says "whenever Swablu would be damaged or affected by an opponent's attack". According to the ruling, though, Fluff does not get to flip when the effect triggers and goes to place the 5 damage counters as it resolves. Why not? After all, the effect came from an opponent's attack, right?

But as you can read in the ruling, it's because the damage is the result of the effect. Fluff can't prevent the effect from resolving, it can only prevent the effect from being created in the first place. The effect resolution is not considered an effect of the original attack, and that's why Fluff doesn't even get a chance to prevent it.

This ruling is so important to the argument because it's not limited to Fluff. It extrapolates to anything that says "prevent all effects...done to that Pokemon" -- Holon WP, Unown G, Wormadam, you name it. They don't pull these rulings out of thin air -- there is reason to all of them, and it's based on the card text in question. In this case that text is "prevent all effects". It doesn't prevent effect resolution, only creation.

Did you know that Poison is an effect? That's something I learned from PokePop. Poison is a continuous modifier: "In between turns, place 1 damage counter on this Pokemon". It just happens to have a visible marker that goes along with it, to make it easier to remember, but it's an effect with or without the marker. I bring up Poison to illustrate another concept. Say your Pokemon is Poisoned, and you attach Holon WP and a Water Energy to it. Does Poison get removed? No, it doesn't. Holon WP says to prevent all effects, but it doesn't remove ones that are already there.

Now that I have established the fundamentals of this proof, I can finish connecting all the dots with regards to Sandslash.

Spike Armor
During your opponent's next turn, if Sandslash is damaged by an opponent's attack (even if Sandslash is Knocked Out), put 4 damage counters on the Attacking Pokemon.

Spike Armor creates a triggered effect, but unlike the previous examples, this is an effect placed on Sandslash itself, not the opponent's Pokemon. Things like Holon WP can't prevent this effect from being created -- remember, they all say "prevent all effects...done to that Pokemon". But this effect isn't being done to the opponent's Pokemon, it's something Sandslash places on itself. So the effect is created regardless of anything that prevents effects on the opponent's Pokemon.

Now comes the opponent's turn. They attack, which triggers the effect to resolve. But recall what we learned from the Fluff ruling! The resolution of an effect is not an effect. If it was, Fluff would get to try that second flip, but it doesn't. As a result, we established that these "prevent all effects" powers can't prevent the resolution of an effect, only its creation. That includes Holon WP.

The conclusion? Sandslash's effect gets to place 4 damage counters, regardless of the presence of Holon WP.

I don't think I can explain things any better than that. I hope it all makes sense to everyone, whether you agree or disagree. I might be wrong in the end (depending on what the Rules Team says), but I'm not making this stuff up either :) We're in uncharted territory here -- there hasn't ever been an interaction quite like this in the game before. PokePop mentioned that in his reply to my ATM post, which is why he deferred an answer to the Rules Team meeting next week (they didn't meet this week due to Valentine's Day).

I like a good discussion as much as the next guy, but let's keep the language nice and clean, K? K.

I'll definately agree that this ruling can go both ways. The posion thing is a null point (since wp states prevent all effects of attacks, which posion is not). The rest makes logical sence. I just dont' really believe that sandslash's attack is actually placing any effect onto itself until its condition is met. To me, an effect has to do something to change the game states. Sandslash's attack doesn't do it for me. It adds that threat but doesn't actually change anything in the game state until its condition is met.

i havent read this whole forum but it says all effects of attack excluding damage so if i may say the 4 damage counters is still an effect of an attack and is done by your opponent AND it doesnt say anything about when it happens it is still an effect of an attack and is not damage and therefore is prevented!!! *sighs* any questions good night!!!!!!
i also must say it what if my unknown g is on dewgong isnt it prevented? my putting to asleep its an effect of attack on my pokemon and is not damage? isnt it prevented?
hi!!!!!!

weavile132 said:
i havent read this whole forum but it says all effects of attack excluding damage so if i may say the 4 damage counters is still an effect of an attack and is done by your opponent AND it doesnt say anything about when it happens it is still an effect of an attack and is not damage and therefore is prevented!!! *sighs* any questions good night!!!!!!

You're basically saying the same thing that's already been said. I suggest you read my large post above in its entirety.

weavile132 said:
i also must say it what if my unknown g is on dewgong isnt it prevented? my putting to asleep its an effect of attack on my pokemon and is not damage? isnt it prevented?

As printed, yes. But Unown G has been mistranslated and we're all expecting an errata shortly, before States. Unown G is supposed to read "prevent all effects of attacks, excluding damage, done to that Pokemon by your opponent's Pokemon". In other words, it only prevents effects from your opponent's attacks, not your own. It should read exactly like Holon Energy WP.

Well, we will just have to wait to see if this card is errated.
I for one am a big user of Unown G, so I'm hoping that this falls on the prevention side.

Well, Unown G is for sure getting an errata:

Q. Does Unown-G's "GUARD" Poke-POWER prevent effects from attacks that the Unown-G is attached to?
A. No, the Poke-POWER only prevent effects from an opponent's attacks, not your own (this will be addressed in future errata). (Feb 21, 2008 PUI Rules Team)

But that change doesn't affect the Sandslash question at all.

I'm really sorry to bump such an old post, but I'm really curious as to whether this was ever resolved or not. Any news?

Not meaning to revive old threads, but I am still waiting on the ruling of this. Was it ever resolved?

Permission granted to stay open pending an official ruling

Back