Ruling Unidentified Fossil ruling

Zzrrdd

Aspiring Trainer
I can't work out the ruling of unidentified fossil. Does it count as a basic in your opening hand? I assumed it worked like rainbow energy and only counted as an energy (or pokemon in the fossils case) when its in play. But I've heard people say otherwise. Its probably really obvious but I want to make sure I'm using it right before taking it to any tournaments

sylvarina

Aspiring Trainer
I believe you cant start with it. You are right about it being a pokemon when in play, which means rare candy can be used (which people ask about all the time for some reason). In fact because you cant start with an unidentified fossil, people have been playing Talonflame to start and then Order Pad to search for fossils.

Tapu Lele

Inflated and Overstocked
That's right. Here's the official ruling from the compendium:
Unidentified Fossil (Ultra Prism)
Q. Can I choose to play Unidentified Fossil as one of my starting Pokemon?
A. No, you cannot. It's considered a Trainer while in your hand, so it doesn't count as a Basic Pokemon during setup. (Feb 8, 2018 TPCi Rules Team)

Also, as a side note, rainbow energy still provides [C] energy, even when not attached to a Pokemon. The Strong, Splash, Wonder, Herbal, Dangerous, Flash, etc. energies did not provide energy until they were attached to a Pokemon however.

Zzrrdd

Aspiring Trainer
Yeah thanks that's what I thought. Yeah I am going for that talonflame build. Thought it makes sense to use talonflame as the odds of starting with it are much higher because o all the fossils.

Zzrrdd

Aspiring Trainer
Thats the list I'm working from. Yeah Im not planning to top cut any big tournaments with this deck or anything. Just wanted a fun, cheap deck to play locally

payton

Aspiring Trainer
i was wondering with armor fossil shieldon if you could rare candy into a bastidon

Last edited:

PokeMedic

Don't talk to me or my Pokemon ever again
Articles Staff
You can since they initially come from Fossils.

Precedent from Compendium:
Q. Can you use Rare Candy to evolve a Mysterious Fossil into an Omastar or Kabutops, or use it on a Root/Claw Fossil to evolve into Cradily/Armaldo?

A. It can. It counts as a basic Pokémon while in play. Omastar, Kabutops, Cradily, and Armaldo are Stage 2 Pokemon; you could use Rare Candy on the Fossil trainer to skip to them. (Oct 16, 2003 PUI Rules Team)