Pokemon Unexpectedly Favourite Pokemon

Scoop

Literally a sheep
Around November 1st, I started a Pokemon Black Nuzlocke. I met many Pokemon along the way, but on route 4, I met a small female Darumaka, and named here Mamimi, after the FLCL character of the same name. Mamimi was strong. She, and RadBadTad the Sawk were the two oldest members of the group. They made it to the end, but Mamimi did something special. On a wild battle with a Liepard, She almost got OHKO'd. But as her health went into the red-She froze the game. Mamimi saved herself...And made it to the end. The thing is, just a few days before, i didn't know what a Darmanitan was. Mamimi's help through the Nuzlocke, defeating almost every gym leader, and making it through tight spots, made her my favorite Pokemon, beating even my first Pokemon, Frosto the Empoleon. It's kind of funny how that can work in Pokemon, a 'Mon you didn't even know about can become your absolute favorite. Has that happened to any of you guys?

Those special 'Mons are always the best, aren't they?

My first Pokemon, Frosto ended up having good IVs. I was quite surprised, even though i didn't know what IVs were then. He and Mamimi are now battling together, and i love it.

Well this is more tcg than tvg, but I just gained more respect for Trevenant after the XY Trevenant literally carried the entire game on its shoulder and managed to get the win 6-0 prizes a couple of days ago. No, it wasn't competitive, just casual play, but still...new respect for the Trevenant.

Wow, that's really cool. I had a weird old Fighting deck with Terrakion in it, and he destroyed the match. He won 6-0 all by his lonesome. And now, I use him in my VG team, as one of the big three in my team. (Mega Alakazam, Terrakion, and Seismitoad.)

I think there's a difference though between a legendary Pokémon like Terrakion and a Trevenant, who probably would not be a top choice in my team under regular circumstances. Of course Phantump comes relatively late in tvg too.

Terrakion isn't banned by smogon(which i use the rulings for since it's popular, so i'd rather not be unfair to smogon players), so he's alright in the books. And the Terrakion was the NVI one, no EXs or anything. I'm glad to own him as a secret rare nowadays.

I remember the Noble Victories Terrakion. It was pretty neat, with some of it's power coming from Retaliate. And since that match had none of your Pokémon knocked out that means the effect of Retaliate never happened. But hey Land Crush itself is really good damage when you're not an EX.

I have some cases...
When playing LeafGreen I decided to invest time on a Spearow that evolved and turned into an awesome Fearow. I've always had Fearow and Dodrio in bad account because they'd only evolve one time and despite not liking Pidgeot, I would always go with it.
When recently replaying Sapphire I decided to give a go to Sableye because I didn't liked Mega-Sableye and it made me appreciate Sableye more. It was a reliable partner, both for fighting and catching Pokémon.
Last but not least, I was going to like my Snivy when starting my B2 journey but I didn't wanted a male one and by an incredible luck I got a female Snivy with a nature that I liked and matched the species! She's now the Empress of my team and Queen Mother to the Snivy princes! :D

Pikachu6319-And It's still a great counter to Yveltal/darkrai, taking out the support part of it.

Leaf_Ranger-Wow, the nature thing is a lot like Mamimi, who has a naughty nature, fitting for the character she's based off of. :D
And wow, that really does show how these little guys can become your favorite out of pure chance.

Completley agree with you AshCo, at least in the right format. Sometimes I just hate the restrictions of format.

Restrictions? What do you mean by that? Like, 'Toad or something like that?

No, I mean like set rotations. Like how right now it is Boundaries Crossed on, and at some point they'll take out sets to make it either Legendary Treasures on or XY on. So if the latter happens the Terrakion we were discussing is no longer useable for competitive play.

There are a lot of Pokémon from older sets that I would like to use if I could but aren't part of the standard or even expanded format.

Oh yeah, that really bothers me. I really only like expanded and unlimited nowadays, and that's going to become even more of a thing once BCR is rotated out. I miss HGSS-on, even BW, NXD-on so very much.

For a short time I actually had a huge liking for Cryogonal. I randomly caught it and used it on a replay team and thought it was actually a very cute Pokemon. Not "I want to collect it's merch" kind of cute but Cryogonal definitely holds a favorite Unova Pokemon slot for me alongside Vanilluxe. Some people aren't surprised when I say Vanilluxe cause it is actuall a pretty cool (no pun intended) Pokemon. But the moment I say I like Cryogonal it makes people really confused.

I also have a huge soft spot for Miltank.

I personally find cryogonal awesome and Vanilluxe adorable. XD
Miltank and I have a bad history though..Not from Whitney, but from a Miltank/empoleon deck that lost me a tournament on the TCGO, and then a Miltank who swept my team on battle spot.

Back