• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Undying M Scizor EX

Gother

Aspiring Trainer
I know we are yet to get the BREAKpoint expansion, but why not brainstorm some ideas here before the release? The strategy is crazy, but it may work out.

Pokémon: 14
  • 3 Scizor-EX
  • 2 M Scizor-EX
  • 1 Aegislash-EX
  • 2 Zorua
  • 2 Zoroark (Stand-In)
  • 2 Jynx (Heal)
  • 2 Rhyperior (Rock Wall)
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums: 37
  • 2 Professor Sycamore
  • 2 Professor Birch's Observation
  • 2 Shauna
  • 2 Skyla
  • 1 Lysandre
  • 2 Maxie's Hidden Trick
  • 2 Pokémon Center Lady
  • 2 Reverse Valley
  • 3 Ultra Ball
  • 2 Mega Turbo
  • 2 Time Puzzle Bracelet
  • 3 Battle Compressor
  • 3 VS Seeker
  • 3 Super Potion
  • 1 Fighting Spirit Belt
  • 2 Float Stone
  • 2 Hard Charm / Assault Vest
  • 1 Scizor Spirit Link
Energy: 9
  • 6 Metal Energy
  • 3 Shield Energy
Strategy:

The idea is to take advantage of the great defensive power given to the steel Pokemon. Since Scizor-EX and its M evolution require just two energies to attack for 110/120 damage, we can afford to build this deck, although it is still very expensive in terms of execution. Let's start explaining the general idea with our best case scenario:
We have everything that we want on the field. M-Scizor Ex is our active Pokemon. So, let's calculate the damage reduction:
  • 10 (Reverse Valley)
  • 20 (2 Shield Energies)
  • 40 (Assault Vest and the Defending Pokemon has a special energy attached)
  • 20 (Psychic Resistance)
  • 20 (2 Rhyperiors on the bench)
And then we have a MASSIVE 110 damage reduction. We also do have a 10 hp heal from our Jynx and a Zoroark to save our Scizor from special conditions (Stand-in and retreat). We are also running 2 Pokemon Center Ladies and 3 super potions. But let's be honest, the chance for this to happen seems almost impossible. Still, in the average case we get:
  • 10 (Reverse Valley)
  • 20 (Hard Charm)
  • 10 (Shield Energy)
  • 10 (Rhyperior)
It sums up to 50 damage reduction. It means for the opponent to actually KO our M Scizor-Ex it needs to hit for at least 160 (before the reduction) two times. We know that only a few Pokemon can do that (disregarding fire weakness). And still, we have lots of things to back our M Scizor up (PCL/super potion).

As a backup attacker we have Zoroark and Aegislash. We are running only 1 Spirit Link because we can send Rhyperior as our active pokemon to take some damage, lose a turn and evolve Scizor Ex in case we need it.

How would you guys build this deck to maintain the strategy but to start working faster? Please do not consider Shaymin-Ex since it uses bench space and can be a reliability.

Last edited:
Why not just max potions and bronzong? I thought I remember seeing max potion being reprinted.

With time puzzles you can have access to 4+ uses.

To be completely honest, Gyarados is a lot more unkillable than Scizor. That being said, unkillable doesn't mean not taking damage, at least not completely. To most competitive players, unkillable is basically prize denial, or hitting constantly while going defensive(like Donphan was). The reason this is not too great, is because setup is ridiculously hard to do. So most of the time, it will most likely be like this:
-10 Reverse Valley
-20 Hard Charm
-10 Shield Energy
To be fair, your opponent will most likely have Special Energy of their own. That being said, with Assault Vest, you're still reducing by 60,which is pretty decent, but don't forget things like Primal Groudon still exist, and can OHKO everything on your side of the field with ease. I feel like the list you gave is too clunky, and won't work very often. Maxie is bacially dead, because of the lack of Shaymin, as well as the loss of Exeggcute, and Jirachi. Plus, you lack many things that should normally be maxed out if played at all. Take Archiestoise for example, it had the whole list based around having a turn 1 Archie for Blastoise, but even then, there were games where it just wouldn't happen, and that was BUILT to happen that first crucial turn. This just lacks construction, and the basic principals of Archie/ Maxie decks. Defensive doesn't just mean take a bunch of blows with low damage, it just means that you don't go all out in giving damage. Seismitoad could dish out a potential 80 damage a turn, and could just scoop up the next turn, but it focuses on corruption, making it defensive. So basically, my point is I would make a defensive deck out of Mega Scizor, focusing around corruption and healing( or something around the ball park with that). Hope I helped!

First, thanks for your feedback guys. I am going to use it wisely.

Don't consider this a viable deck then because without Shaymin your draw will be Trubbish and you can't setup.

The main reason I am not considering Shaymin besides the bench space is because I don't have a single copy of it and its very expensive (PTCGO player here).

Why not just max potions and bronzong? I thought I remember seeing max potion being reprinted.

With time puzzles you can have access to 4+ uses.

That is a good point. At first my idea was to include Bronzong for the super potions, but I decided not to use it for no particular reason. If I build a competitive deck with Scizor, that is going to be the top priority. However, 4 super potions plus 2 (2+2) recharges from time puzzles are the max we can get, right?

To be completely honest, Gyarados is a lot more unkillable than Scizor. That being said, unkillable doesn't mean not taking damage, at least not completely. To most competitive players, unkillable is basically prize denial, or hitting constantly while going defensive(like Donphan was). The reason this is not too great, is because setup is ridiculously hard to do. So most of the time, it will most likely be like this:
-10 Reverse Valley
-20 Hard Charm
-10 Shield Energy
To be fair, your opponent will most likely have Special Energy of their own. That being said, with Assault Vest, you're still reducing by 60,which is pretty decent, but don't forget things like Primal Groudon still exist, and can OHKO everything on your side of the field with ease. I feel like the list you gave is too clunky, and won't work very often. Maxie is bacially dead, because of the lack of Shaymin, as well as the loss of Exeggcute, and Jirachi. Plus, you lack many things that should normally be maxed out if played at all. Take Archiestoise for example, it had the whole list based around having a turn 1 Archie for Blastoise, but even then, there were games where it just wouldn't happen, and that was BUILT to happen that first crucial turn. This just lacks construction, and the basic principals of Archie/ Maxie decks. Defensive doesn't just mean take a bunch of blows with low damage, it just means that you don't go all out in giving damage. Seismitoad could dish out a potential 80 damage a turn, and could just scoop up the next turn, but it focuses on corruption, making it defensive. So basically, my point is I would make a defensive deck out of Mega Scizor, focusing around corruption and healing( or something around the ball park with that). Hope I helped!

I totally agree with you. My idea was to build this deck just for fun and to see what happens. Since I wanted to make the most out of it, I came here to ask for suggestions. I also have checked the Archiestoise to get some references to build this version of the deck, but the lack of Jirachi/Exeggcute/Energy Retrieval in Standard is a pain. For a competitive deck, the corruption+healing is definitely something we should go for.
I still don't get how Gyarados is more unkillable than Scizor in your point of view though. Could you explain that better?

Actually max potion is out of standard, unfortunately. But it would work well in Expanded.

First, thanks for your feedback guys. I am going to use it wisely.

The main reason I am not considering Shaymin besides the bench space is because I don't have a single copy of it and its very expensive (PTCGO player here).

That is a good point. At first my idea was to include Bronzong for the super potions, but I decided not to use it for no particular reason. If I build a competitive deck with Scizor, that is going to be the top priority. However, 4 super potions plus 2 (2+2) recharges from time puzzles are the max we can get, right?

I totally agree with you. My idea was to build this deck just for fun and to see what happens. Since I wanted to make the most out of it, I came here to ask for suggestions. I also have checked the Archiestoise to get some references to build this version of the deck, but the lack of Jirachi/Exeggcute/Energy Retrieval in Standard is a pain. For a competitive deck, the corruption+healing is definitely something we should go for.
I still don't get how Gyarados is more unkillable than Scizor in your point of view though. Could you explain that better?
Of course. Gyarados, first of all, has 240Hp. That, combined with Rough Seas and Splash Energy, can get very hard to beat. You can see further details in the Deck Garage(where I have posted it). Basically, the strategy is this:
1.Get M Gyarados out
2.Use compressors, turbos, and elixirs to set it up
3.Attach Splash Energy
4.Attack for a lot of damage
5.Get "KO'd"
6.Return to hand(with splash energy)
7.Bench Gyarados
8.Evolve another Gyarados/ Send up another mega
9.Use Time Puzzle Bracelet to get Splash/Turbo/Elixirs back
10.Repeat
It may seem complicated, but it's a simple combo with only a couple cards that are in playsets to take best advantage of.

Of course. Gyarados, first of all, has 240Hp. That, combined with Rough Seas and Splash Energy, can get very hard to beat. You can see further details in the Deck Garage(where I have posted it). Basically, the strategy is this:
1.Get M Gyarados out
2.Use compressors, turbos, and elixirs to set it up
3.Attach Splash Energy
4.Attack for a lot of damage
5.Get "KO'd"
6.Return to hand(with splash energy)
7.Bench Gyarados
8.Evolve another Gyarados/ Send up another mega
9.Use Time Puzzle Bracelet to get Splash/Turbo/Elixirs back
10.Repeat
It may seem complicated, but it's a simple combo with only a couple cards that are in playsets to take best advantage of.
What makes M Scizor more relevant (albeit still not likely to be competitive) is the lack of fire in the meta. As someone that tried to make Yveltal work in standard, I can attest that Electric pokemon are literally rampant in this meta. Night march and M Manectric variants are dominating right now, and anything with an electric weakness is automatically at a disadvantage. Not to mention if you have a tool on M Gyrados (or if they head ringer it), regular Manectric EX OHKOs it for much cheaper. Either way, both decks mentioned would be fun decks, but I can't see them actually becoming relevant in either format.

I think fighting spirit belt is a better tool for Scizor EX. First comparing FSB with hard charm, hard is only superior to FSB if Scizor EX takes 3 hits (60 dmg), with 170HP i don't see a 2HKO very difficult actually. Second comparing FSB with Assault vest, FSB boost 40HP for sure, Assault vest is situational. And consider 210HP Scizor EX (with FSB) using the first attack (i don't remember the name), opponent have to do 230dmg to OHKO it! second turn if you got max potion, you repeat again. and yes, Bronzong for recycling the discarded energy, Zoroark/float stone for excillent mobility, Scizor EX can hit 30 (+10dmg for FSB) minus 20dmg next turn, or hit 120dmg enough to 2HKO everything (M Manectric EX is NOT 2HKO without FSB!)

To OP i suggest:

Pokémon: 14+1
  • 3+1=4 Scizor-EX (maximize primary attacker)
  • -2 M Scizor-EX (what good is the Mega form compare to non-Mega?)
  • 1 Aegislash-EX
  • 2 Zorua
  • 2 Zoroark
  • -2 Jynx (max potion heal all anyway)
  • -2 Rhyperior (So inconsistent)
  • +2 Bronzor BRK (10 extra HP compared to PHF one)
  • +2 Bronzong (energy accerlation, and setting up one is enough probably given low energy requirement of Scizor EX)
  • +2 Shaymin EX (Draw)
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums: 37
  • 2+2 Professor Sycamore (staple, always go for 4)
  • 2 Professor Birch's Observation
  • -2 Shauna (Shauna and Birch do the same thing, i would suggest 2 max total, Shauna vs Birch is personal preference)
  • 2 Skyla
  • 1 Lysandre
  • -2 Maxie's Hidden Trick (No Rhyperior)
  • -2 Pokémon Center Lady (use max potion instead)
  • +1 Az (not a really a bad thing to lose all toolls and energies attached to Scizor EX, so it's an escape route for Scizor EX, or Shaymin EX)
  • 2+1=3 Reverse Valley (stadium war man!)
  • 3+1=4 Ultra Ball (or you may substitute one with level ball)
  • -2 Mega Turbo (no Mega)
  • 2+1 Time Puzzle Bracelet (i guess you want to recover, emans using 2 at a time, what if you are forced to discarded 1 in the beginning?)
  • 3-1=2 Battle Compressor (only a few ebengies, and may 1-2 supporter to be compressed,2 should be enough)
  • 3 VS Seeker
  • -3 Super Potion
  • +3 max potion
  • +3 trainers mail (for draw, or reserve ticket may fit in too, honestly i haven't test with this new item)
  • 1+2=3 Fighting Spirit Belt
  • 2 Float Stone
  • 2-1=1 Hard Charm / Assault Vest
  • -1 Scizor Spirit Link
Energy: 9
  • 6 Metal Energy
  • 3 Shield Energy
Just my 2 cents

Back