Discussion Ultra Necrozma-GX is the next meta?

Angel Duran

Aspiring Trainer
I honestly love Ultra necrozma/malamar,i build it up and play a mirror Match against a friend of mine and it was absolute crazy,but you tell me,what do you think about ultra necrozma?

It will be used in a couple ways . Might even do good in madison. But i dont see it winning it all.

With all the Malamar+Lunala PS+Special Energy support in Forbidden Light combined w/ Dawn Wings Necrozma-GX, I could see a 2-2 Ultra Necrozma-GX+Necrozma-GX split alongside them at least making the top 4, but I'll be surprised if that combo wins it all...

I don't think it will be that good. It loses to garb pretty hard, and it will probably go about 50-50 with Zero variants. It's big perks of being able to OHKO anything is mitigated by the set up time, and I'd rather just play KicaBulu.

With all the Malamar+Lunala PS+Special Energy support in Forbidden Light combined w/ Dawn Wings Necrozma-GX, I could see a 2-2 Ultra Necrozma-GX+Necrozma-GX split alongside them at least making the top 4, but I'll be surprised if that combo wins it all...
About that split i think is better use mew from fates collide,you can deal more damage and hit for psychic weakness too

I don't think it will be that good. It loses to garb pretty hard, and it will probably go about 50-50 with Zero variants. It's big perks of being able to OHKO anything is mitigated by the set up time, and I'd rather just play KicaBulu.
I already play against a garbo deck and it's not that bad,with a single psychic energy you're dealing 100 damage,you just guzma up the garbo and smoke him out

Also about the set up time,with the list that i build i haveturn 2 OHKO every single time xD if you're interested i post my deck list on de deck garage

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel Ultra Necrozma is really good. I'm not sure if I'm going to try it out in an ultra beast deck catering to Nagandel GX first or not, but I really do like the card.

the deck is by far the most supported and best deck coming out of Forbidden Light. Psychic types have not had this type of support in almost ever. It will be tier one due to the fact that of just how much damage it can put out so quickly, i'd rather play it over bulu because you're using a stage 1 to accelerate rather than a stage 2 but you need to get the energy in the discard which to be fair with 4 Ultra Balls and 4 Mysterious Treasure shouldn't be all too difficult.

I think that ultra Necrozma metagross will be quite meta because of metagross of geotech system ability letting you attach a psychic and a metal energy from your discard pile onto your active Pokemon and it needs both metal and psychic to attack also need the mystery treasure

I think that ultra Necrozma metagross will be quite meta because of metagross of geotech system ability letting you attach a psychic and a metal energy from your discard pile onto your active Pokemon and it needs both metal and psychic to attack also need the mystery treasure

Mystery treasure does not allow you to pick Metagross-GX, as Metagross-GX is Metal, not the psychic or dragon type pokemon that MT allows you to take from your deck, but you could pick it w/ Ultra Ball, then use MT to get Lele for Skyla(via Wonder Tag) to Candy Beldum to the Metagross -GX stage... But since getting two or more specific cards to make a play such as getting Beldum to Stage 2 is difficult to pull off w/o Zoroark-GX + Mallow(sorry, Alolan Vulpix's Beacon doesn't cut it in today's--and the future's--meta, as N/Illima can be used by opposing player to force them back in your deck before you can play them, and who knows if they have Lycanroc-GX on ready to bring Ultra Necrozma out, and either 1HKO it or 2HKO it, depending on the Buzzwole+damage booster situation in current meta, as well as 30 damage to your beldum), and if you can't afford deck space for Zoroark-GX, sorry to say, but stage 2 is virtually not a guarantee w/ the possibility of said stage 2 getting whisked by hand disruption from opposing player...

^ Well, when Malamar FBL is released, we could say good-bye to Metagross-GX + rare candy for Necrozma/psychic decks that get trumped by disruption of hand, and hello to Stage 1 acceleration decks that were absent from meta since September 2013, when Noble Victories--the bread-and-butter of the RayEels metadeck--rotated out, not to mention that from that point until next month, outside of that of the XY-era's introductory type: the fairy-type, and Geomancy Xerneas(but the fact that Geomancy was an attack, not an ability, held the Fairy-type back from tier 1 status), the meta had no easy way to accelerate energy w/o Stage 2s, establishing the concept of needing a second card after the basic in order to really start cranking up the damage in the process, a concept that could be interpreted as difficult to pull off if you have to shuffle it back in thanks to a foe's hand disruption supporter, but it's not impossible, especially for those that re-drew all the cards he/she finds it necessary in order to start the damage dealing, turning the game into a game of who has the better luck and wits of the two, and that will hold true until the release of Forbidden Light, when we finally will have a seemingly clear-cut way to the top... Will one that utilizes that way finally overcome Buzzwole to truly become "new meta"? Or will fighting-types rule the format again? Only time will tell...

One card will make Necrozma GX not meta. Our favorite trashy Pokemon (ha get it?!), Garbodor. It will be released as a promo, so GG to all the decks running Necrozma.

One card will make Necrozma GX not meta. Our favorite trashy Pokemon (ha get it?!), Garbodor. It will be released as a promo, so GG to all the decks running Necrozma.
Ultra Necrozma has a fairy weakness.
^ Well, when Malamar FBL is released, we could say good-bye to Metagross-GX + rare candy for Necrozma/psychic decks that get trumped by disruption of hand, and hello to Stage 1 acceleration decks that were absent from meta since September 2013, when Noble Victories--the bread-and-butter of the RayEels metadeck--rotated out, not to mention that from that point until next month, outside of that of the XY-era's introductory type: the fairy-type, and Geomancy Xerneas(but the fact that Geomancy was an attack, not an ability, held the Fairy-type back from tier 1 status), the meta had no easy way to accelerate energy w/o Stage 2s, establishing the concept of needing a second card after the basic in order to really start cranking up the damage in the process, a concept that could be interpreted as difficult to pull off if you have to shuffle it back in thanks to a foe's hand disruption supporter, but it's not impossible, especially for those that re-drew all the cards he/she finds it necessary in order to start the damage dealing, turning the game into a game of who has the better luck and wits of the two, and that will hold true until the release of Forbidden Light, when we finally will have a seemingly clear-cut way to the top... Will one that utilizes that way finally overcome Buzzwole to truly become "new meta"? Or will fighting-types rule the format again? Only time will tell...
What about Bronzong?

The Promo Garbodor is the one with Trashalanche and not the one that blocks abilities. Malamar is less concerned about the Garbodor brothers than about the Weavile cousins. The latter one can spread to draw multiple prizes or hit harder the more abilities the opponent has on his side of the battlefield. Ultra Necrozma sure is one of the top decks but it not nearly broken since there are several contenders for the tier one deck list.

Ultra Necrozma/Malamar is literally an updated and powercrept RayEels, just with different energy types. It will probably be pretty strong and consistent due to Mystery Treasure and will be a defining part of the meta, but like others before me have pointed out, not necessarily the alpha and omega of the current Standard format. Fairies will also get a boost in the near future after Forbidden Light (and the set itself already has the Diantha supporter) which could also be a potential threat to Ultra Necrozma's BDIF status.

Last edited:
Ultra Necrozma has a fairy weakness.

What about Bronzong?

At Bronzong's time, one pokemon held it back: Pyroar FLF, a pokemon whose ability walls basics, and given the card selection at time, you could say it doesn't count as a proper stage 1 accelerator, or at least until the May of the year Keldeo-EX rotated(2015), when Roaring Skies bought about a solution to such Pyroar problem, if only not a metal per-se: Mega Rayquaza-EX, a card that acted like partners-in-crime w/ Bronzong and Keldeo-EX for a quarter-season(after that, Keldeo-EX was delegated to the Expanded graveyard), and acted as a solution to the weakness problem that Metals face, as MRay does not have the same weakness that metals have: MRay's weakness is Lightning, while metals are typically weak to Fire... Shame that Zoroark BKT could've replaced Keldeo-EX in same deck, if not for its Stage 1 status...

^ FYI, I acknowledge, but disregard, fleeting strategies, and by fleeting strategies, I mean strategies that break apart by rotation at the end of the same season of introduction, unless they have a proper replacement that's not an inferior option that hurts consistency if included in a 60-card deck, as those that only watch streaming when NA Nats/Internats/Worlds roll around, a time when twitch viewership reaches peak levels for year, do not get to see the strategy in action, as they are played in a format in which such strategies are disallowed from due to the fact that the date of such cards' associated expansion makes such cards out-of-date by the rules of such format... Not to mention that Zoroark BKT is an inferior option to the Bronzong engine(it leaves no room for a Bronzong engine and/or other key cards such as Shaymin-EX and/or Octillery BKT, Jirachi-EX and/or Tapu Lele-GX, etc., all of which make the deck work in the present day of Expanded) that hurts the consistency of that deck...

^ Also, as the strategy involving Malamar FBL did NOT appear during a point in time when key pieces of the strategy are in the final-season-in-spotlight mode that marks the last of the peak-season spotlight for them, as not everyone is interested in watching regionals as they are in watching Nats/Internats/Worlds, all that proves my statement's evidence according to my account, but you don't have to believe me. Even so, all that doesn't mean there isn't a group of viewers that watch regionals too... But I will still consider Bronzong a stage 1 that's insignificant, as despite the fact that the decks the engine utilizes best were weak to one single type until a colorless Mega Ray showed up to give it a strength against Fire-types that it didn't have before it, the enabler, Keldeo-EX, was due to leave the Nats/Internats/Worlds spotlight the quarter after, and along with it, its key ability, the piece that makes the deck click(the energy retrieved from Metal Links only goes to Benched pokemon), both of which left to the Expanded graveyard... Its ability's effect was placed on the inferior Stage 1 Zoroark two months after its departure, and about 2.25 years after, we finally got Keldeo-EX's proper ability replacement in the form of DW Necrozma-GX, which will revive, maybe improve, the Stage 1 Bronzong engine in Expanded, but as its role could be already occupied by Keldeo-EX in that format, DW Necrozma-GX could instead team up w/ Malamar FBL to start up the "Malamar engine" in Standard... :)

Last edited:
At Bronzong's time, one pokemon held it back: Pyroar FLF, a pokemon whose ability walls basics,
This is just false. In the 2015 Winter regionals, Pyroar took 1 day 2 spot compared to Bronzong's 4. Mega Ray was used because it was better than every other metal attacker in BCR-ROS. If you look at the decks that did well at US Nats 2015, most of them played Heatran, which was the best non-EX metal attacker, and Aegislash-EX to block special energies. Bronzong was also played in Night March and Vespiquen decks prior to the release of Puzzle of Time.
FYI, I acknowledge, but disregard, fleeting strategies, and by fleeting strategies, I mean strategies that break apart by rotation at the end of the same season of introduction, unless they have a proper replacement that's not an inferior option that hurts consistency if included in a 60-card deck, as those that only watch streaming when NA Nats/Internats/Worlds roll around, a time when twitch viewership reaches peak levels for year, do not get to see the strategy in action, as they are played in a format in which such strategies are disallowed from due to the fact that the date of such cards' associated expansion makes such cards out-of-date by the rules of such format... Not to mention that Zoroark BKT is an inferior option to the Bronzong engine(it leaves no room for a Bronzong engine and/or other key cards such as Shaymin-EX and/or Octillery BKT, Jirachi-EX and/or Tapu Lele-GX, etc., all of which make the deck work in the present day of Expanded) that hurts the consistency of that deck...
This is just bad practice. This is saying it didn't last, so it never existed. It also doesn't make sense to put an arbitrary cut-off at rotation. There are plenty of other fleeting decks. How many people remember the Dragonite-PLF deck that won a regionals? Almost no one, but it was still important for developing the meta, because it likely over-projected Yveltal-EX's strength.
^ Also, as the strategy involving Malamar FBL did NOT appear during a point in time when key pieces of the strategy are in the final-season-in-spotlight mode that marks the last of the peak-season spotlight for them, as not everyone is interested in watching regionals as they are in watching Nats/Internats/Worlds, all that proves my statement's evidence according to my account, but you don't have to believe me.
I don't understand this. Could you please explain it?

This is just false. In the 2015 Winter regionals, Pyroar took 1 day 2 spot compared to Bronzong's 4. Mega Ray was used because it was better than every other metal attacker in BCR-ROS. If you look at the decks that did well at US Nats 2015, most of them played Heatran, which was the best non-EX metal attacker, and Aegislash-EX to block special energies. Bronzong was also played in Night March and Vespiquen decks prior to the release of Puzzle of Time.

This is just bad practice. This is saying it didn't last, so it never existed. It also doesn't make sense to put an arbitrary cut-off at rotation. There are plenty of other fleeting decks. How many people remember the Dragonite-PLF deck that won a regionals? Almost no one, but it was still important for developing the meta, because it likely over-projected Yveltal-EX's strength.

I don't understand this. Could you please explain it?

Malamar FBL will appear at a time when its key pieces have either more than 1 season of life left in them in Standard, or are just introduced. As a result, it's in a similar boat to Eelektrik when it was introduced: introduced while the pieces are fresh, and in the process, giving them more opportunities for screen time in Nats/Internats/Worlds events in its intended metadeck, screen time that occurs when many people are watching, than those introduced late in the season that help decks that are due to rotate from standard at the end of said season resulting in such decks getting the bulk of their best screen time in regionals that use the expanded format, screen time that occurs when not that many people are watching... But as I respect any differences in opinions, and correct any that say otherwise and back up their case using legit arguments...

Regarding your other two statements, I apologize, but I was looking at decks that consist of attackers that are entirely or nearly-entirely Metal-type. Unfortunately, in the process, given your arguments, it appears I may have overlooked something major, overlooking 'Zong's relevance post-Keldeo-EX, as well as cards that develop a meta that no one knew had a precursor deck to help it develop... :(

Last edited:
I have talked with numerous top players and Malamar/mew will easily be BDIF along with garbodor variants. its insanely strong to be able to OHKO anything as soon as turn 2 with minimal drawback.
If your not playing malamar/mew then you better be playing something that beats it (like garb).

I think I might be able to throw my 2 cents into this. I've playtested with a build of the concept and have had 1 game so far with it (granted it was against a Delphox deck but I digress), and theres a couple of things I want to say. First off, having 4 Ultra Balls and Mystery Treasures in a deck makes it stupidly consistent. That's 8 outs to search out any pokemon in your deck (and I do mean any pokemon in your deck since all the deck runs is Psychic and Dragon Pokemon), and 4 of those searches only needs one card to discard. You can discard not only Brigettes you don't need anymore, but you can also discard psychic energies to use Malamar's ability for later so it all works out. Getting out 2 to 3 Malamars is a heck of a lot easier than you might think. Second, damage output is rediculous. Sure it's ability reliant which would lose to Garbodor, but unlike DM Necrozma / Magnezone, it's as simple as bringing back the energies with a little bit of "switch-work" with cards like Guzma and Dawn Wings Necrozma. You don't even need Choice Band to hit 260 damage, and if you decide to use Choice Band then you only need 2 psychic energies to hit 210. Those are fantastic numbers for like anything you need to hit.

The deck's definitley got potential! It's consistent in what it wants to do, and it hits like a truck! If Garbodor was the only problem then I'd probably throw in an unusually high count of Field Blowers. 3 normally, 4 if I was insane and wanted to extra-insure that I don't have my abilities locked. Greninja can lock your abilities without the need for a tool, but at least you have access to the promo Giratina to have at least a much better chance against Greninja. Granted your abilities are still locked but it's definitley slowed down enough in order to do some things you may want to do in the match-up. Also since you're using psychic energies you have the option of using him as a back-up attacker.

Back