Ubers Gym RMT ( finally its revealed )

Status
Not open for further replies.

King Arceus

Aspiring Trainer
Elite Member
Advanced Member
Introduction
I have been known for my skill in Ubers for a long time. I may not ladder anymore, but I still know the metagame extremely well. Ubers very rarely changes even when new Pokemon are brought into the tier since many of these Pokemon would be used anyway. I've been able to use many styles of teams in the Ubers tier; rain, sun, sand, stall, and plain offensive. Stall is by far the hardest to play; yet this team combines aspects from stall and offense. The result is a cool playstyle that has two cores instead of the usual one. There is also a dedicated lead spot for my hazard setter. This is needed in all stall teams. Getting hazards onto the field quickly is a top priority since you will be forcing your opponent to switch out.

The defensive core is made up of Dialga and Giratina. Together they can literally survive any attack in the game and have no shared weakness. Their typing compliment each other well despite not being able to resist Dragon-Type moves. They each shuffle the opponent's Pokemon with Dragon Tail while also boosting their stats with Bulk Up and Calm Mind respectfully. This makes them even harder to take down as both of them have Rest.

The offensive core centers around Rock Polish Groudon to decimate the metagame. When the defensive core Pokemon do their job well Groudon will have little trouble plowing through entire teams or at least until it runs out of HP from Life Orb. Arceus performs a role of both a revenge killer and a physical sweeper which works out very well for the team so if Groudon's stay is cut short I can still win battles. Mewtwo strikes fear in every Darkrai that doesn't have Choice Scarf.

During season two of the Gym Challenge many of you had to face this very team. It combines multiple playstyles, but does require a fair bit of prediction to work. You have to know the team and what each member can and can't do or it will perform badly. This team loses primarily to hax; it doesn't have major threats.

Building The Team

[sprite]386-3[/sprite]
I needed a Pokemon that can reliably get up entry hazards as well as disrupt other common leads. Deoxys-S fulfills this role perfectly.

[sprite]386-3[/sprite][sprite]383[/sprite]
Groudon is who I wanted the team to be centered around so I had to choose him.

[sprite]386-3[/sprite][sprite]383[/sprite][sprite]483[/sprite][sprite]487[/sprite]
I needed a defensive walls that can force the opposing Pokemon out to maximize damage from entry hazards. Dialga + Giratina seemed like a natural combination. Together they have incredible bulk on both ends of the spectrum. While Skarmory could hvae been used over one of them, I would lose some coverage against Kyogre whom can be threatening otherwise.

[sprite]386-3[/sprite][sprite]383[/sprite][sprite]483[/sprite][sprite]487[/sprite][sprite]150[/sprite][sprite]493[/sprite]
I needed to have some powerful back-up sweepers for when my Groudon gets KO'd. Mewtwo has 130 Base Speed and over 150 Special Attack making it a natural choice. It also has access to Taunt to get rid of stall Pokemon. Arceus has Extreme Speed allowing it to revenge KO many Pokemon that are weakened. It performs very well with the kind of set up the team has.

Team Specs

[style=background-color:#db3d8f][sprite]386-3[/sprite][/style][table style=color:black;background-color:white width=80% border=1px solid black][tr][td]Pokemon:[/td][td]Deoxys-S[/td]
[td]Item:[/td][td]Focus Sash[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Ability:[/td][td]Pressure[/td][td]EVs:[/td][td]252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spd[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Nature:[/td][td]Timid[/td][td]Moves:[/td]
[td]

• [*]Stealth Rock
    [*]Spikes
    [*]Magic Coat
    [*]Shadow Ball
[/td][/tr][/table]​

Deoxys-S functions well as a lead. The team utitilizes shuffling of the opponent's Pokemon to cause large damage to teams. Without entry hazards this team is considerably less effective. Once Stealth Rock alone is in play, Groudon is able to OHKO much of the metagame. Spikes increases the chances even more. You will notice this set lacks Taunt. The reason this set lacks Taunt is because of Magic Coat. I find most other Deoxys-S leads try and Taunt me. Magic Coat has a positive priority so the move backfires onto them. I am then free to set up one entry hazard while they switch Pokemon. Scarf Darkrai tend to lead by using Dark Void and this takes full advantage of that. Due to the new sleep mechanics, their Darkrai will be useless most of the match since I force switches. Magic Coat is also helpful against Pokemon that attempt to set up entry hazards since it sets the hazard on their side of the field instead. Shadow Ball is used because it is the best coverage move for Deoxys-S since I need to at least damage Deoxys-A.

I've tried Deoxys-D before as the replacement lead for it since it has better defenses, but it just doesn't do the job as well. It can't inflict damage that well. I've considering dropping the Speed EVs down to 212 which will still let me outpace base 100 that have Choice Scarf by one point. This would let me put a small amount into Special Defense to lessen the damage I take a little bit.

[style=background-color:#c674e8][sprite]150[/sprite][/style][table style=color:black;background-color:white width=80% border=1px solid black][tr][td]Pokemon:[/td][td]Mewtwo[/td][td]Item:[/td][td]Leftovers[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Ability:[/td][td]Pressure[/td][td]EVs:[/td][td]4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Nature:[/td][td]Timid[/td][td]Moves:[/td][td]

• [*]Aura Sphere
    [*]Taunt
    [*]Psystrike
    [*]Calm Mind
[/td][/tr][/table]​

This Mewtwo cleans up after Groudon goes down. Psystrike allows it to get rid of Blissey and do larger damage to Ho-Oh and Kyogre. Aura Sphere is helpful due to it hitting Dialga for double damage. It also forms unresisted converage with Psystrike. Taunt is needed because sometimes my opponent will switch in something that can paralyze or poison me. It also helps against teams that want to set up hazards or utilize Wish. Calm Mind allows me to set up in an advantageous situation causing me to be able to sweep that much easier.

Mewtwo also assists the team by being able to check Blaziken which is not something many Pokemon can do. Giratina is my only Pokemon that can reliably get rid of it so I need Mewtwo to be able to have a back-up. Mewtwo also helps by making Skarmory useless outside of Brave Bird if it runs that over Toxic.

[style=background-color:#099fed][sprite]483[/sprite][/style][table style=color:black;background-color:white width=80% border=1px solid black][tr][td]Pokemon:[/td][td]Dialga[/td][td]Item[/td][td]Leftovers[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Ability:[/td][td]Pressure[/td][td]EVs:[/td][td]252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Nature:[/td][td]Careful[/td][td]Moves:[/td][td]
  • [*]Dragon Tail
    [*]Bulk Up
    [*]Rest
    [*]Sleep Talk
[/td][/tr][/table]​

Dialga is part of my defensive core. It only has weakness to fighting and ground moves which makes Giratina an excellent partner for it. While this set isn't offensive, it gets the job that my team needs done; spread damage around for Groudon to sweep. After a Bulk Up Dialga is able to survive any unboosted Earthquake even from Groudon. It also has the Special Defense to be able to survive a Draco Meteor from the most powerful of Pokemon. Dragon Tail inflicts solid damage while causing a switch so it ends up doing quite a bit to the opponent's team. Bulk Up is more used as a defensive move than an offensive move so it can survive longer when combined with the Resttalk combo.

No Pokemon could replace this Dialga. The immunity to Toxic and resistances it has make it an amazing addition to the team. It can reliably defeat Kyogre once Kyogre takes damage from entry hazards. Not many Pokemon are capable of walling Kyogre and its massive 150 Base Special Attack. Dialga also plays a role as a status absorber making it the perfect Pokemon to get put to sleep by Darkrai.

[style=background-color:#3d6d6d][sprite]487[/sprite][/style][table style=color:black;background-color:white width=80% border=1px solid black][tr][td]Pokemon:[/td][td]Giratina[/td][td]Item:[/td][td]Leftovers[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Ability:[/td][td]Pressure[/td][td]EVs:[/td][td]252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SDef[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Nature:[/td][td]Relaxed[/td][td]Moves:[/td][td]
  • [*]Calm Mind
    [*]Dragon Tail
    [*]Shadow Ball
    [*]Rest
[/td][/tr][/table]​

Giratina forms the other half of my defensive core. With its incredible 150 / 120 / 120 defenses it can survive nearly any attack in the game save Choice Specs Draco Meteor. This set is highly unusual in that it uses Shadow Ball paired with a physical move. The reason is that Calm Mind is used defensively to help it defeat Kyogre that don't have Calm Mind. This will end up raising my Special Attack so I can start to break holes in the opponent's team if I need to inflict solid damage instead of forcing a switch. The EVs may appear random, but there is an actual method to them. The combination of HP and Defense allows it to survive 2 Dragon Claw from a Life Orb Groudon who can be a threat to many teams. If I don't have any Calm Minds in, I can still survive 2 Ice Beams from Kyogre, that's how defensive the set is.

Giratina is my failsafe agaist Blaziken who has the potential to do a lot of damage to this team. It also works well against Thundurus with its high Special Defense. It can be an emergency answer to most boosted Pokemon in general provided Dragon Tail's 90 Accuracy doesn't fail. The normal forme of Giratina fits better with the team because of it playing a role as a wall. Giving up recovery as well as defenses doesn't make any sense even though it will take damage from Spikes and get poisoned from Toxic Spikes.

[style=background-color:#f4f629][sprite]493[/sprite][/style][table style=color:black;background-color:white width=80% border=1px solid black][tr][td]Pokemon:[/td][td]Arceus[/td][td]Item:[/td][td]Leftovers[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Ability:[/td][td]Multitype[/td][td]EVs:[/td][td]244 HP / 252 Atk / 12 Spd[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Nature:[/td][td]Adamant[/td][td]Moves:[/td][td]

• [*]Swords Dance
    [*]ExtremeSpeed
    [*]Shadow Claw
    [*]Earthquake
[/td][/tr][/table]​

Who can resist putting the creator of all Pokemon on an Ubers team? Arceus just has so many options for roles it can take on. My team really needed something that can revenge KO anything. With 120 on every stat Arceus was the obvious choice since it has access to a priority move. While it may not have quite as much attack as Scizor, it has much higher Speed which is important if I'm not using Extreme Speed. The EVs are very standard with 12 in Speed instead of the usual 4 or 8. Some players run 252 Speed on the Swords Dance Set with Extreme Speed which is a good waste of EVs considering the amount of times you would need to use something other than Extreme Speed. All you would gain is the ability to strike first with Shadow Claw against Latios or Latias. Extreme Speed does enough damage where the Speed is not needed.

Arceus forms part of my offensive core and turns into a very powerful sweeper once Swords Dance is set up. Extreme Speed gets rid of any threats that are faster than it. Earthquake is mainly for Dialga and Arceus-Steel. I've considered Brick Break instead simply because it hits other Arceus-Normal for double damage while still being able to dish out the large damage to Dialga. Shadow Claw is used because of Giratina being a problem for Arceus otherwise. While I'd like to have Recover, I need the coverage this set provides.

[style=background-color:#ed0929][sprite]383[/sprite][/style][table style=color:black;background-color:white width=80% border=1px solid black][tr][td]Pokemon:[/td][td]Groudon[/td][td]Item:[/td][td]Life Orb[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Ability:[/td][td]Drought[/td][td]EVs:[/td][td]60 HP / 252 Atk / 196 Spd[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Nature:[/td][td]Adamant[/td][td]Moves:[/td][td]

• [*]Rock Polish
    [*]Earthquake
    [*]Stone Edge
    [*]Dragon Claw
[/td][/tr][/table]​

Groudon is the main piece of my offensive core. He has incredible stats and actually performs better than Kyogre when teams are built correctly. The strange thing is Kyogre is used more often due to the combos it can provide. Groudon is capable of OHKO'ing the entire tier after Stealth Rock and 1-2 layers of Spikes except for a couple select Pokemon which can be determined by what moves Groudon is using. FirePunch would solve the Skarmory problem, but then it loses to Giratina. One could opt to use FirePunch by taking out Stone Edge, but then it loses to Ho-Oh and Lugia so this is the set that has the fewest problems. You will notice the amount of HP and Speed EVs are different than the Smogon standard. I believe it is foolish if after Rock Polish Thundurus or Infernape can come in and ruin your sweep with Grass Knot since either of those two could easily have a Choice Scarf. For this reason, I feel my spread is better. Groudon can't outpace Darkrai or Skymin holding a Choice Scarf unless it is a Jolly Nature, but then it loses a lot of KOs; thus this spread is optimal. Giving up Life Orb for Leftovers unfortunately results in losing a lot of KOs which makes that not an option.

Groudon's main problems are Giratina which can burn it with Will-o-wisp, Kyogre that are physically bulky, Ferrothorn, and Skarmory once it is set up with Rock Polish. Before Rock Polish Groudon has more Pokemon it fears such as Latias and Latios. It takes a great amount of skill knowing when the time is right to bring in Groudon and start sweeping. If it is brought in too early a lot of pressure is put on Arceus and Mewtwo. If it isn't able to get brought in at a good time at all it loses to many Pokemon from not moving first.

Threat List

Most of these are not threats; they are simply how I handle these Pokemon.

[sprite]150[/sprite]Arceus usually takes care of Mewtwo. Giratina can do a good job at getting rid of it as well.
[sprite]151[/sprite]Dialga is normally which Pokemon I will have take Mew on. Most of my team can do fine against it. Taunt is annoying, but it won't stop me from using Dragon Tail.
[sprite]248[/sprite]Mewtwo can do a lot to it with Aura Sphere, but I won't send it in on it. I more or less react to it; it isn't really a threat.
[sprite]249[/sprite]Mewtwo can Taunt Lugia which cuts down its usefulness. Stone Edge from Groudon can do up to 74% damage to it.
[sprite]250[/sprite]Ho-Oh can be a bit tricky, but the entry hazards do wear it down fast. If Groudon got off Rock Polish it crushes it. It can't do a lot to Giratina which is one way I handle it.
[sprite]257[/sprite]Giratina is my answer to it until I get it weakened enough where I can finish it with Arceus.
[sprite]380[/sprite]
[sprite]381[/sprite]
Latias and Latios lose Soul Dew this generation making them easier to deal with unless you want to play where absolutely nothing is banned. Arceus can blast either of them with Extreme Speed. Groudon takes care of them once it gets off Rock Polish.
[sprite]382[/sprite]Dialga can handle it after entry hazards. Giratina also deals with it.
[sprite]383[/sprite]Giratina forces a Groudon out. Offensive Groudon can be brought down by Arceus and Mewtwo.
[sprite]384[/sprite]Rayquaza that are mixed will pose the most problems because they often have Extreme Speed which will hurt Groudon. Dialga can force it out with Dragon Tail, but it can't OHKO it. Mewtwo deals some damage to it.
[sprite]385[/sprite]Jirachi is handled by Groudon. It normally runs a specially defensive spread due to the nature of Ubers. Dialga can also wall Jirachi all day long. It is too bulky to flinch it to death.
[sprite]386[/sprite]Attack formes are destroyed quickly by getting a hit in on them then finishing them off with Arceus. Speed formes try to Taunt my own Deoxys-S which results in them being affected. Defensive formes can't do much when I use Magic Coat or Taunt on them.
[sprite]392[/sprite]Giratina takes care of Infernape. Once it gets damaged it is also pray for Arceus.
[sprite]437[/sprite]Trick Room variety can be annoying since my sweepers are fast. I usually try and use Dialga and Giratina since Dragon Tail has a negative 6 priority anyway.
[sprite]445[/sprite]Garchomp can be tricky if I don't get off Rock Polish. It gets weakened over time. It is one of the few actual threats, though it can be dealt with.
[sprite]483[/sprite]Groudon defeats it after Rock Polish. Mewtwo and Arceus can also deal with it.
[sprite]484[/sprite]Groudon defeats it after Rock Polish. Arceus deals with it well also.
[sprite]485[/sprite]Air Balloon can make it trickier, but it still isn't that hard to get around since I use Dragon Tail which causes the balloon to break. Groudon, Arceus, Giratina, and Dialga all can deal with it.
[sprite]487[/sprite]Giratina can be difficult if it wasn't weakened a lot from my own Giratina and Dialga. If my Arceus has a Swords Dance up I can do decent with Shadow Claw. It could be considered a threat defensively.
[sprite]490[/sprite]If the weather ends up as rain and I don't have Rock Polish off on Groudon it can be more difficult. Changing the weather is a high priority when I can predict a Rest. Being that it is a little slower, Mewtwo cna actually cause damage to it and Arceus has Extreme Speed.
[sprite]491[/sprite]Mewtwo can react to Darkrai if it isn't put to sleep. Dialga absorbs Dark Void when needed. Arceus can damage it quite well.
[sprite]492-1[/sprite]Since many have Choice Scarf it is a matter of switching around which will weaken their team further. Nonscarf variations are dealth with by Mewtwo, Arceus, and Groudon if Rock Polish has been used.
[sprite]493[/sprite]Mewtwo can defeat it. It gets worn down by repeated switches where my own Arceus can wipe it out. Arceus can be considered a threat at times.
[sprite]530[/sprite]Once its balloon gets popped Groudon can take care of it. Mewtwo can defeat it as long as the weather isn't sandstorm.
[sprite]598[/sprite]Once it gets weakened Mewtwo defeats it with Aura Sphere. If I can hit it a couple times with Dragon Tail Groudon can still damage it. Arceus, once powered up, can do quite a bit of damage to it.
[sprite]642[/sprite]Once the weather is not rain it isn't as bad to deal with. Giratina can force it out. Arceus has priority to take it out. Mewtwo moves before it.
[sprite]643[/sprite]Stealth Rock weakens it making it an easy clean up with Extreme Speed. Mewtwo can also inflict large damage on it when necessary.
[sprite]644[/sprite]Though less used than Reshiram, it is still used enough to warrant mention. Groudon easily defeats it. Dialga also survives Outrage and Bolt Strike. Arceus can also take it out.
[sprite]645[/sprite]Giratina can wear it down while Arceus and Mewtwo can finish it off.

Closing Remarks
This team is one of the funniest teams to use that I have ever created. It really surprises the opponent when they start off with a 6-4 or so lead then I come back and destroy them. I do like the level of challenge this team has in order to play correctly. One false move can really mean the difference between winning and losing. When it is played correctly though, it almost never loses.

Import
PHP:
Deoxys-S @ Focus Sash
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Magic Coat
- Shadow Ball

Mewtwo @ Leftovers
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Aura Sphere
- Taunt
- Psystrike
- Calm Mind

Dialga @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Dragon Tail
- Bulk Up
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Giratina @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SDef
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Calm Mind
- Dragon Tail
- Shadow Ball
- Rest

Arceus @ Leftovers
Trait: Multitype
EVs: 244 HP / 252 Atk / 12 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- ExtremeSpeed
- Shadow Claw
- Earthquake

Groudon @ Life Orb
Trait: Drought
EVs: 60 HP / 252 Atk / 196 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Rock Polish
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Dragon Claw

I love the team and the cool format!

Awesome team DE, maybe add Ferrothorn to the threats/how I handle list?

Wow, this is awesome.

Based on your threat list, it sounds like Manaphy is a bit of a problem, so I think that a Ferrothorn could work well here, probably in place of Deoxys-S. It still gets the hazards up (either Spikes or Stealth Rock because Leech Seed is crucial), it disrupts the opponent with Leech Seed and Thunder Wave, it hits harder than Deoxys when using Power Whip (awesome for Manaphy and Kyogre) and its very bulky and difficult to take down in the heavily rain-based metagame of Ubers.

JaySee said:
I love the team and the cool format!

Awesome team DE, maybe add Ferrothorn to the threats/how I handle list?

Added Ferrothorn to thread list. If everything worked properly, each cell in the tables where I list out the moves would have a black border 1 pixel. The color around the pictures should have been over the whole background of the picture, not just the very bottom.

Peachy said:
Wow, this is awesome.

Based on your threat list, it sounds like Manaphy is a bit of a problem, so I think that a Ferrothorn could work well here, probably in place of Deoxys-S. It still gets the hazards up (either Spikes or Stealth Rock because Leech Seed is crucial), it disrupts the opponent with Leech Seed and Thunder Wave, it hits harder than Deoxys when using Power Whip (awesome for Manaphy and Kyogre) and its very bulky and difficult to take down in the heavily rain-based metagame of Ubers.

Manaphy really isn't too hard for my team to handle. Since team preview is standard, I know when I have to save Groudon and when it isn't as important. It takes Manaphy a couple hits to take down Dialga so as long as I don't miss with Dragon Tail it is easy enough to deal with. None bulky Manaphy takes upwards of 75% from Groudon's Earthquake.

My concern if I used Ferrothorn is losing Magic Coat. It has helped me in many situations. Ferrothorn is easy Taunt bait unfortunately so it isn't really a risk I want to take. I've tried fitting it on the team before, but it just wasn't the same.

/me is trying to find flaws in the team but has having an extremely difficult time doing so.

Amazing team, I love some of the odd movesets that opponents will never see coming.

I really can't find any flaws, the only suggestion I might make is to put Dragon Claw on Arceus instead of Shadow Claw. It has a slightly higher base power, it still hits Giratina, Latias, and Latios for super effective damage, plus it gives Arceus a powerful move to use on the many Dragon types in the Uber tier. I have a feeling there is a flaw in my logic here though considering Smogon along with pretty much every other Pokemon website has Arceus with Shadow Claw...

You use Shadow Claw for Arceus-Ghost, Mewtwo if it is unweakened and you aren't boosted, Mew, Lugia, and Wobbuffet. It was a fair question. I never listed Wobbuffet in my threat list mainly because it doesn't get as much usage as it did the last generation. I have multiple Pokemon that can take it down anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back