Tyranitar Prime Starters

tyrannitar trainer

Aspiring Trainer
I run a tyranitar Prime deck and it is actually my only deck and it is winning half its battles at least and after rotation who will i use as the starter pokemon because both sableye and spiritomb are rotating!

pretty much the 3 staple starters now are smeargle (portrait), cleffa (eeeeeek!) and stantler (call for family). I'd say playtest them all (proxy) and see which one works best with your deck. they're all colorless and the only one that needs and energy to do it's setup is stantler, but if you have an energy to spare, it's worth it. it's just that many decks don't so they run with smeargle or cleffa.

Unfortunately, Absol Prime is the only good starter in Tyranitar decks after the rotation. You don't have access to the babies in that deck because of Ttar's first attack. Absol Prime isn't awful though. It can hit hard early game and damages anything your opponent throws down. It speeds up the spreading process while you build up TTars on your bench.

EDIT: Don't listen to Ghost Bear, he didn't think about what he posted. Cleffa is garbage in your particular situation.

Yeah cleffa wont work i do not have energy to spare and smeargle possibly but absol prime? Okay thanks for your help this is going to be a hard decision. I will have to test some stuff out.

I honestly question a true "starter" in ttar. You have limited space for tools and spread that hits non-darks, so yes, absol is your only real option. Problem is, it's really not great. I think overall, aiming for t2 tar for howl and opening the toolbox after they ko it s the way to go.

Sneasel is the only other starter, and one I would use over absol, because weavile's claw snag is awesome. You already probably run 2 eevees as well, to help your starts.

I've tested a little bit with Tyranitar and Absol Prime (also suggested by GHJamesGH) is my favourite 'starter' for the deck.
Its PokeBody is so useful at the beginning of the game, especially if they start with a lone basic. Adding an extra 20 damage can set you up nicely for Mandibuzz in a turn or two to get rid of those Stage Ones before they become stage twos.
Babies aren't ideal for Tyranitar since two Darkness Howls and you're giving away prizes which you just can't do.
So yeah, try out Absol and I'm sure you won't be disappointed, makes the deck a fair bit more expensive mind.

Hope this helps.

I'll see about trying to run some Absol Primes in my T-Tar deck, though personally I don't think T-Tar will be all that great in HGSS-On since I was planning on building a new deck over it that's much faster and I don't think Tyranitar will do that good at Nationals this year considering DonChamp and such.

I think Cleffa is a great card to use. You get a hand refresh, and if you do loose it early, you throw down a Twins and speed up your T-Tar on the bench.

Giving an early prize is not as bad as people think.

Tyrouge is another option

I merely stated that those are the three staple starters, so he'd have a place a start looking at least. absol is nice for doing the 2 damage to their pokemon, but it doesn't help speed you up. t-tar needs something to speed it up, so that's why I didn't suggest absol. also, you can't seriously justify using absol's attack in a t-tar deck...you're spending your time building up energies for t-tar...so slowing down you deck (opposite of what you want to do) by spending two entire turns putting energy on absol to lost zone pokemon that you can't really spare (except other absol I guess) and doing just 70 damage is simply not worth it. plus donchamp will OHKO absol by T2 anyway.

like parmcat said, cleffa would be a starter...don't use it later in the game. it's as simple as not putting it on your bench. and twins is nice...even faster setup from that point ;) smeargle the same...you just don't play him later and use supporters twice as fast. but stantler would indeed be unwise in this deck.

reshiram would also be good. it won't speed you up but it'll stall nicely. and if it's on your bench, t-tar's first attack will just build up outrage. slap a DCE on reshiram if you need it and you've got yourself a power hitter. also doesn't fall prey to the weakness/resistance game against donchamp.

I use Cleffa in my T-tar and it does just fine, if you like to play an aggressive T-tar your best bet is to still play Cleffa.

Why run a starter? Just set up under 2 Cleffa. You should be fine if you list is good enough. The only viable thing as a starter is Smeargle, but it's wasted space.

35-sableye.jpg

Sableye can allow you to put your juniper/pont/etc on top of your deck so you can reuse it the next turn. In the late game, it lets you put special darks and DCE on top of your deck - one of the few cards that can.

68-sneasel.jpg

Purely for attacking early on, and for free retreat. If you wish, you can use Weavile as a 1 or 2 off solely for it's claw snag poke power. (When you evolve, you can look at their hand and discard one card). Weavile and Sneasel both have free retreat.

Those are horrible Starter Pokemon for {D}, GHJamesGH is right. Only thing {D} has to offer for Starters that gets around Tyranitar Prime's Darkness Howl is Absol Prime.

Agreed. Why only look at the Dark starter Pokemon? Smeargle is leaps and bounds better than...s-Sableye. *Shudders* And it only can take 4 Darkness howls, an attack only used a couple times per game.

Tyraniking said:
Agreed. Why only look at the Dark starter Pokemon? Smeargle is leaps and bounds better than...s-Sableye. *Shudders*

Long way since its humble days as Sablelock huh?

I think Smeargle's a good call though. If nothing else, after it's done it's job, it's either getting KO'ed or taking up a spot on the bench, so even if it dies from Darkness Howl, that might not be that big a deal. I say run a couple Twins if you're not already so that way Smeargle's death is more beneficial.

Stantler,atleast in my opinion.Why?Because it lets you put two basics on the bench on your FIRST turn letting you evolve them second.I run it for my Donchamp and Blastoise/Floatzel decks and it works wonders.So I say you try it.

Sneasel. Free retreat, baby-donking first attack, huge second attack, and evolves into a discard and a playable sniper. It let's you search up your "starter" (ie cleffa) when needed and retreat for it.

Back